A competitive GAMSAT score

Discussion in 'GAMSAT' started by Madrid, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Perplex

Perplex Moderator Moderator

I am going to answer this question on the basis that you have already received an interview. As mentioned above by KRO, this is a complex question and given the bonuses and high weighting of the interview, there is no straight answer.
    If you have been offered an interview (and have bonuses) that is what you should focus on. It doesn't matter about scores as much now, a poor interview performance is likely to be uncompensated by high scores. At this stage consider your scores sufficient and focus on the interview.

2. Anne Smith

Anne Smith New Member

Thanks for the response. This score was not sufficient for an interview offer

3. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

To clarify, did you apply for 2019 entry to GEMSAS with these scores and not receive an interview offer? Did you have your 6.8 GPA confirmed by GEMSAS? There are several entries in the interview offers thread on PD for Deakin with lower combo scores than this (with no bonuses), so if these were indeed your scores you should've received an interview.

4. Anne Smith

Anne Smith New Member

It’s a gemsas gpa score, combined with a gamsat score . Not successful for an interview offer with Deakin.
    Contacted gemsas who confirmed the score was not high enough.

5. Perplex

Perplex Moderator Moderator

It is difficult to gauge what is a safe score for Deakin given their range of bonuses, and how some individuals may have multiple bonuses. I am sorry to hear that you were unable to attain an interview at Deakin. Your GPA seems strong. If you are in the last year of your degree I'd suggest focusing your upcoming exams and doing well to maintain (or improve) your GPA. I think your best chance is taking the GAMSAT next year again and aiming for improvement. You're very close to that competitive realm by the sounds of it.

6. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

To add to the above - did you have other unis on your preference list? Have you considered universities other than Deakin? With those scores you also would've gained an interview at Griffith or UWA based on PD data.

7. Gogi

Gogi New Member

Very strange.
    Interview offer at Deakin with combo of 1.625.

The above score generates a combo of 1.64 - not sure what happened there?

8. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    If there's no other explanation it could be due to the approximating nature of the formula GPA/7 + GAMSAT/100 we use (unless Deakin says specifically they use it). For example 6.80/67 (1.64) isn't necessarily higher than 6.55/69 (1.625), since it's possible the 6.80 is say 100 applicants higher than the 6.55 but their 67 is 200 applicants lower than 69, and Deakin happens to use this method for ranking rather than a math calculation.

acbard9 likes this.
  9. Anne Smith

Anne Smith New Member

Thanks for the reply A1

Not sure how Deakin calculate the score, no explanation was given other than unsuccessful for interview.