Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

A competitive GAMSAT score

Squirrel

I've calculated my GPA to be 6.49, and my GAMSAT score is 60. Is this a competitive score? Which Universities should I apply to?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I've calculated my GPA to be 6.49, and my GAMSAT score is 60. Is this a competitive score? Which Universities should I apply to?

Ooh, does this mean GAMSAT results are out?!

(Sorry I can't answer your question, though!)

nira

Maybe UND, definately not UQ unless you have rurality, even then would be a stretch. do you make the 50-50-50 in each section.

Hey all,

I have calculate my GPA at 6.33 and received a gamsat score of 62 (with above 50 for all sections). Is that at all competitive?

Also, to Squirrel, I would suggest not applying to UQ or uni of WA (gpa and gamsat avg 6.8<, 69 respectively- got info from phone call- UQ is prob higher).

Squirrel

Maybe UND, definately not UQ unless you have rurality, even then would be a stretch. do you make the 50-50-50 in each section.

Thanks for your reply nire! Yes, I did get 50 in each section.

Does the order of preference matter much when applying through GEMSAS?

nira

i'm not completely sure, im planning on sitting umat this year, so havent even looked at gamsat. so i dont think im qualified to answer questions regarding gemsas. however if it is anything similiar to undergraduate applications then order doesn't matter, if you dont get your first preference it moves down the list. but like i said, i dont know. out of curiousity is there any particular uni you want to go to.

EJM

Yes, order of preference does matter as you will only be offered an interview and offer to study to ONE institution. You can also be made an offer to study for an institution other than the university you had your interview, ONLY if they are a lower preference. Say you got an interview at preference 2, you are no longer eligible AT ALL for preference 1 but for all preferences 2-6. If you don't get an offer at preference 2 and you get an offer for say preference 4, this is the only offer you will be made by Gemsas and you can only accept or reject this offer. You are not able to swap offers with people at other institutions. So please be very careful when making decisions regarding preferences and types of places you are willing to accept (i.e. CSP, Bonded and Full Fee places). PagingDr has a system to help making your order of preferences an easier decision.

chinaski

PagingDr has a system to help making your order of preferences an easier decision.

Please note, that system does not include answering basic questions that could be answered by way of first reading the provided info yourself. We will freeze posting privileges of such members. Just FYI!

taco

Lurker
I have a 6.6 GPA which I'm hoping to increase to a 6.7 before I graduate next yr and a GAMSAT of 65, what do you guys think my chances are at melb uni? This was my first attempt and I did better than i thought I would (was expecting a score as shitty as my umat lol) I was originally planning on sitting the GAMSAT again next March but do you guys think it's still necessary?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
I have a 6.6 GPA which I'm hoping to increase to a 6.7 before I graduate next yr and a GAMSAT of 65, what do you guys think my chances are at melb uni? This was my first attempt and I did better than i thought I would (was expecting a score as shitty as my umat lol) I was originally planning on sitting the GAMSAT again next March but do you guys think it's still necessary?

Judging by past year trends your scores are well and truly not high enough for Melbourne's CSP places and probably also not high enough for its FFP places either. You might want to consider a different university.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
What sort of gpa + gamsat score is competitive for unimelb md?

I'd recommend creating a Paging Dr account and perusing their offer archives. You'll find information from successful grad entry applicants regarding the Uni they received an offer for, their GPA, GAMSAT result, and previous degree/s information. If you look at entries from the most recent couple of years, that's probably going to give you the clearest info (though still not perfect).

Reactions: EJM

yolo

Lurker
Hey guys! I have a 6.95 GPA and a GAMSAT of 65 (64 Melb weighted). What are my chances of a BMP at Unimelb? I've also applied for Deakin and get a 2% bonus given my low-income status. What are the chances for that also? Thanks!

GV

Hey guys! I have a 6.95 GPA and a GAMSAT of 65 (64 Melb weighted). What are my chances of a BMP at Unimelb? I've also applied for Deakin and get a 2% bonus given my low-income status. What are the chances for that also? Thanks!

Unless you have some bonuses for Melbourne your chances aren't looking good. You have a shot at Deakin though and should get an interview, it's become really competitive though due to Monash pulling out of the consortium. Guy in my cohort gave an anecdotal recount of students at his Melbourne interview all having GPAs 6.7+ and GAMSATS in the mid 70's.

GV

What sort of gpa + gamsat score is competitive for unimelb md?

Depends on the GAMSAT but ideally 6.7+ and a high GAMSAT (high 60's or low 70's)

Melbourne is the most academically difficult uni to gain entrance to, by far.

yolo

Lurker
Unless you have some bonuses for Melbourne your chances aren't looking good. You have a shot at Deakin though and should get an interview, it's become really competitive though due to Monash pulling out of the consortium. Guy in my cohort gave an anecdotal recount of students at his Melbourne interview all having GPAs 6.7+ and GAMSATS in the mid 70's.

I figured :( oh well, I'm hoping to take a gap year next year if I don't get unimelb, and sit the GAMSAT again in March of next year. I'll try and start preparing from now for it lightly and ease my way into it by the summer. Thanks!

GV

I figured :( oh well, I'm hoping to take a gap year next year if I don't get unimelb, and sit the GAMSAT again in March of next year. I'll try and start preparing from now for it lightly and ease my way into it by the summer. Thanks!

You have some strong scores and I wouldn't discount my chances right away at other universities. An MD is an MD at the end of the day. Good luck!