Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

A-level grades and Medicine

YasirE

Hello Guys.
I am a student living in England, and im interested in applying to study medicine next year although i have a couple of questions.
Firstly what UAI score would AAB A-Level equate to, secondly do Medical Schools accept applicants resitting one or two exam modules?
Thirdly when does the application process begin?
Thank You

Aud

Hey welcome to MSO!
I'm not sure what an AAB equates to exactly, but the UNSW website says that the minimum ATAR (formerly UAI) is 96 or A level AAB (so i'm assuming it's close to 96 ish).
I don't think it's a problem if you re-sit modules.
The application process has already begun with registration for the UMAT, which as of yesterday has closed. (Although i don't think international applicants require the umat, but don't quote me on this). Applications to UAC (university admissions centre) opens in July/August, where you place your preferences for uni courses, which is due on the 30th September. Each uni also has its own application form which are usually due around the 30th September as well. Interviews then take place in Nov-Dec for local students and Jan for internationals.
Hope this helps

P.S. You're from Oxford!!! That is so cool! (I'm absolutely UK obsessed! :lol:)

YasirE

Hey welcome to MSO!
I'm not sure what an AAB equates to exactly, but the UNSW website says that the minimum ATAR (formerly UAI) is 96 or A level AAB (so i'm assuming it's close to 96 ish).
I don't think it's a problem if you re-sit modules.
The application process has already begun with registration for the UMAT, which as of yesterday has closed. (Although i don't think international applicants require the umat, but don't quote me on this). Applications to UAC (university admissions centre) opens in July/August, where you place your preferences for uni courses, which is due on the 30th September. Each uni also has its own application form which are usually due around the 30th September as well. Interviews then take place in Nov-Dec for local students and Jan for internationals.
Hope this helps

P.S. You're from Oxford!!! That is so cool! (I'm absolutely UK obsessed! :lol:)

Hello Aud, and thanks for that :)
Aha I see, so i should be looking at roundabout 96 ATAR hmm, yeah i think so.
Thats great because down here resitting modules will put you at a great disadvantage compared to other applicants, and i have extenuating circumstances for not gaining the required AAA but no sympathy what so ever hehe darn them! So from what i understand the deadline for the application is in september? and how is the general application process?
Thank You Soo Much For That (yy)
Yes it has helped alot

and yes hehe, Oxford is a dull little city hehe i would gladly swap places Sydney on the other hand looks amazing ^_^

Lozzy

smilee ☺ <font color="Yellow">★ ★</font>
Emeritus Staff
For UNSW, you should also fill in an expression of interest form around about now, and then apply at their website as well.

Lozzy

Emeritus Staff
This should provide links to how to apply: http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/howtoapply_intl

The registration of interest form means that you get a number for your application (which will be handy later on), and also means they have an estimated number of people who are interested in applying.

Also, UNSW has an application form you have to fill out, and they'll use this as a reference in your interviews.

You have to submit these before November, but it's recommended that you do it asap. The application of interest isn't difficult at all, it'll only take a few minutes.

Courses will start on February 28th.

Aud

Omg, can we please swap cities!!!
For UNSW although the minimum is AAB, most applicants will end up getting an AAA (or >99). Here's there site: http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/Selection_Intl
But other unis have slightly lower cut-offs like Western Sydney (ATAR of 95.4), Monash (needs high 90s and ISAT (international student admissions test)), not sure about others.

As Lozzy said, UNSW also requires you to fill out an expression of interest form, which is also due 30 Sep.

Basically, you apply to each individual uni using their application form and also register with UAC (equivalent of UCAS), which is where you place your preferences of unis. Some unis (not UNSW) require the ISAT for internationals and UMAT for locals. If you make the cut off you will be given an interview probably in January (i think this can be a phone interview?) and if you go well in that you might get an offer in January and start late Feb.

Edit: Sorry, just realised my dates for the applications might not be correct for international students, just check each uni's website

YasirE

This should provide links to how to apply: http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/howtoapply_intl

The registration of interest form means that you get a number for your application (which will be handy later on), and also means they have an estimated number of people who are interested in applying.

Also, UNSW has an application form you have to fill out, and they'll use this as a reference in your interviews.

You have to submit these before November, but it's recommended that you do it asap. The application of interest isn't difficult at all, it'll only take a few minutes.

Courses will start on February 28th.

Thank You for that i sent in my application, however it seems to specify that in order for applicants to be selected for an interview they must achieve AAA however i am currently on AAB i have the opportunity to resit a module in Jan 2011 however the result for that will not be out until march and university course will have already started by then, any ideas with regards to how to solve this? :unsure:

Lozzy

Emeritus Staff
Your application will be considered if you get AAB, they're just saying that if you get a predicted AAB, you probably won't get an interview. There are always second round interviews which you might be considered for, but it'd probably be best to call the uni and ask what to do.

YasirE

Unfortunately if you don't get your results until March, then your AAB will have to be used, so you can still apply, but the likelihood of gaining admission is very low. http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/FAQ_intl#results2
You might have a chance at other unis, like Western Sydney (cut-off is ATAR 95) and Monash, along with the ISAT.

That sucks i really wanted to go there, ermm im not too keen on Western sydney, what other unis would accept me with AAB given that i have extenuating circumstances for gaining those grades, also are extracurriculars looked upon?

Lozzy

Emeritus Staff
they generally don't care about extenuating circumstances in med, and extracurriculars are only helpful in the interviews, and that's more about how you use them rather than how many you have. If you click the undergraduate entry tab at the top of the nav bar, follow the link to the international requirements article, and there should be a list of requirements for each uni.

UWS is an amazing uni, you should definitely apply to it, especially because it'd only 5 years long and will therefore save you a heck of a lot of money.

Aud

I agree with Lozzy, UWS is a really good option because it's a year shorter, meaning one year less fees and you're finished earlier. Its cutoff is 95.4, which your AAB should be roughly equivalent to.

Lozzy

Emeritus Staff
if you mean, would telling them about your circumstances give you sympathy points and let you slip through the guidelines, i doubt it. There are a lot of people who want to do med and have extenuating circumstances, it isn't up to them to judge whose circumstances are significant enough to warrant extra marks. A lot of other courses do this with the ACCESS scheme (I think?), but I don't think med is one of them (for UNSW at least).

edit: I just looked at the website and UNSW actually does consider the access scheme (EAS), so you might be able to get additional atar points. I'm not sure if this applies to international students (it should), and there's very little info on their website, so your best bet would be to email/call them asking how applying for EAS will affect your med application. You apply for EAS with UAC (or the relevant uni admissions centre for each state).

edit: This is the most i got out of it:
Admission of Disadvantaged Students (ACCESS Scheme)
The Faculty may admit, within quota, a number of students whose education has been disadvantaged over a two-year period by circumstances beyond their control. Further information may be obtained from the Admissions Office on (02) 9385 3089.
from http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/fac...AdmissionofDisadvantagedStudents(ACCESSScheme)

They don't actually tell you if you get accepted, or how many bonus points they give you, but it's worth a shot.

edit: ok sorry, just found this from the UAC website (http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/schoolink/eas-booklet-color.pdf):
You are not eligible to apply if you:
- are an international fee-paying applicant
- have undertaken tertiary study
- are claiming disrupted schooling as a result

Last edited:

YasirE

if you mean, would telling them about your circumstances give you sympathy points and let you slip through the guidelines, i doubt it. There are a lot of people who want to do med and have extenuating circumstances, it isn't up to them to judge whose circumstances are significant enough to warrant extra marks. A lot of other courses do this with the ACCESS scheme (I think?), but I don't think med is one of them (for UNSW at least).

edit: I just looked at the website and UNSW actually does consider the access scheme (EAS), so you might be able to get additional atar points. I'm not sure if this applies to international students (it should), and there's very little info on their website, so your best bet would be to email/call them asking how applying for EAS will affect your med application. You apply for EAS with UAC (or the relevant uni admissions centre for each state).

edit: This is the most i got out of it:

from http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/fac...AdmissionofDisadvantagedStudents(ACCESSScheme)

They don't actually tell you if you get accepted, or how many bonus points they give you, but it's worth a shot.

edit: ok sorry, just found this from the UAC website (http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/schoolink/eas-booklet-color.pdf):

Oh no not at all hehe its just so that i know what im getting myself into also to see alternative routes into medicine, oh i might not have mentioned this im doing a gap year so basically regarding things that would help strengthen my application i just want to do anything in my power to make sure i have the best chance of getting in, since im pretty much guaranteed rejection down here. :mellow:

Lozzy

Emeritus Staff
Then I recommend applying everywhere you can, and trying to get the highest marks possible. I guess you can make a list of what you think makes a good doctor, look at which qualities you're lacking, and try to build on them. Although that isn't really necessary.

YasirE

Then I recommend applying everywhere you can, and trying to get the highest marks possible. I guess you can make a list of what you think makes a good doctor, look at which qualities you're lacking, and try to build on them. Although that isn't really necessary.

Thanks for that ill try doing that, i think ill apply for entry next year (as in apply next summer) this will give me time to do another A-level and improve on the A-levels im already doing. A year off wouldnt be too bad i dont think would u recommend i do that? or just go for it this summer?
take care