• MSO wishes all applicants the best of luck in the UCAT!
    Remember, it is important not to post content about specific questions until this season is over (feel free to message a moderator about questions that we can collate later) but we would love to hear about your experiences and results!
    Cheers, Mana
    P.S. you can't dismiss this message

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

A place to stay that's near CSU.

minhniemouse

I would choose to stay on campus like mighty said. It is my second year on campus and loving it. And its really good cause I can keep all my stuff here for the year and don't worry about moving it back during each of the holiday breaks. And compared to other unis, its relatively cheap. You are looking at 7K for the year with semi-catered meals. And its definitely great fun with the social events we have. @mighty , bar nights ftw! Students also tend to move off campus within their degree etc.
Thanks Hutcherson!

Light Weight

Live in Sydney & am considering CSU

Hi everyone :)
I am currently on a gap year and am going to be applying for B dental science at CSU for 2013. (My ATAR for 2011 was 98.75 and I will complete the application form once it comes out in August)

If I get offered an interview and do well enough to get into the course would you guys recommend staying on campus? Is it possible to return to Sydney everyday? Or at least every weekend? (Sorry if stupid question)

minhniemouse

I am currently on a gap year and am going to be applying for B dental science at CSU for 2013. (My ATAR for 2011 was 98.75 and I will complete the application form once it comes out in August)

If I get offered an interview and do well enough to get into the course would you guys recommend staying on campus? Is it possible to return to Sydney everyday? Or at least every weekend? (Sorry if stupid question)
this is the position I'm in. The thread that I made earlier may inform you about something. http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au/f95/place-stay-thats-near-csu-25354/ Hope this helps!

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus

It wont be possible to drive back to Sydney everyday. I mean its possible but not feasible.

Going back every weekend is ok, however you have to realise you are paying your accommodation for the weekends to, even if you are not there. You might also find that it will be such a pain to drive for the time needed 2 times in a weekend. Finally, leaving every weekend means you will miss out on a lot of the social activities involved in the dental school and colleges, and you may think that is not important, but it really is (as hutch and might will claim 'csu dent represent' and say 'woot' any second now~)

So my advice would be: Take the step of growing up now, get some independence and go back to Sydney occasionally on weekends (as many students do anyway)

EDIT: Oh, and I merged the thread to here

mighty

You're insane if you try to do it everyday; depending on where you live in Sydney it's about a 4 hours drive.
Every weekend is certainly more feasible. During first year sem 1 it's pretty easy, especially since this semester we had Fridays off so people could drive back on Thursday night. I know some people went back almost every weekend. During sem2 we don't have Fridays off so it's more of a pain to go back for vthe weekend but it's still doable.

Also yes, stay on campus. Definitely highly recommended - read through this thread for full opinion.

And lol Muse :p

mighty

There are positives and negatives of each. Ill outline them here.
Spring creek village (aka new res):
positives: nice, modern. About 20 people per dorm. Bathrooms are cleaner, newer cooking facilities, TV has foxtel (one per dorm).

Negatives: can get quite loud. One shared kitchen (2 stovetops, 2 sinks etc). Next to common commons - noisy on bar nights. Not catered - you have to cook all your own food. Centrally heated, so you can't control the temp. I've heard it can get quite hot. Bit further from dent building and lecture theatres. Smaller rooms than old res.

Traditional residences (aka old res):
Positives: bigger rooms, bigger desk, 2 kitchens and TVs per dorm. Closer to lecture theatres/dent building (very helpful when you're running late or it's raining). Semi-catered (5 meals a week. Super convenient when you cbf to cook or during exam period).

Negatives: facilities not as new, ie. kitchen. Bathroom not as modern. No foxtel. Things tend to break down (ie. desk light in room etc)

cottages
:
positives: about 8-9 people per cottage - you become really tight with the people in your cottage. Semi catered (as above). TV has foxtel.

Negatives: rooms are very small, kitchen is small (little storage space for pantry items).

Im currently living in old res and I like it. I will hopefully be moving to new res next year as I prefer to cook for myself. Honestly you will love wherever you end up. It's the people in your dorm that is the biggest factor in determining your happiness rather than the actual facilities and as long as you throw yourself into uni life and are sociable you will enjoy it.

You can't apply for accommodation until you have your CSU ID (ie. until you have received an official offer from UAC).

I hope that helped. :)

Hutcherson

Emeritus MSO Staff
Emeritus
I love old res out of all of them. Just personal preference. 2011 I was in cottages, this year in Old res and hoping for old res next year :) its definitely the people that make it :)