Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ UQ Dentistry: Accomodation Discussion

Hello mso users

For a first year dentistry student at UQ would it be better to live closer to St Lucia or to Herston. I have read that the school of dentistry will be moving to the new Herston campus, but some of the subjects are still at St Lucia?

The first year subjects are
BIOL1040
ORAL1010
ORAL1020
ORAL1030
CHEM1022
DENT1011
DENT1030
ORAL1050

Which of the above subjects are at St Lucia or Herston?

Oh, and this is my first post at MSO. Hi everyone : 3

Kass

Welcome! ^_^
Only ORAL1030 is in the Dental school in first semester and DENT1011/DENT1030 in second semester.

Most interstate students I know live in St Lucia or suburbs nearby such as Toowong or Indooroopilly. Hope to see you around next year!

Welcome! ^_^
Only ORAL1030 is in the Dental school in first semester and DENT1011/DENT1030 in second semester.

Most interstate students I know live in St Lucia or suburbs nearby such as Toowong or Indooroopilly. Hope to see you around next year!

Thank you :)

So ORAL1030, DENT1011, DENT1030 are at the dental school. Is the dental school at the Herston campus near the royal Brisbane hospital?

Hopefully I'll see you and the other students soon.

Hi hummingbird!

It's probably better to live near St Lucia. The transport's great, it's cheaper than living in the city & it's a fun way to make friends. You spend roughly 3 days a week at the St Lucia campus, and 2 days at the dental school. But I remember there were mixed days when you'd have to bus it from one campus to the other during lunch time (to make a BIOL1040 or CHEM1020 lecture/prac) and then bus back to attend an arvo lecture at the dental school.

The new Herston school is next to the UQ Med school & Royal Children's Hospital - if you're familiar with the busways, you get off at RCH Herston (and not RBWH station).

Br0nzy1s

Hi Hummingbird! Congratulations on your offer :)

It's not predicted until about July that some students begin moving into Herston - so when the actual first yrs move to Herston could be anywhere between July to November so it would definitely be better to live closer to St lucia. Also, as mentioned, your first two years includes classes at St Lucia anyway. Hope that helps!

Hi guys
I'm another dent student joining this year. Just wondering if anyone knows how many students are offered a place this year.

Kass

from the course list here Course list for the Bachelor of Dental Science - Courses and Programs - The University of Queensland, Australia it should be CHEM1222 not CHEM1020 which didn't come up when i tried to search for it during "add course."

also from my course summary it says dent1011 and dent1030 are at st lucia campus instead of dentalschl. Only first year subject which is at dentalschl is oral1030.

Any other first year uq dents can confirm?

They are both most definitely in the dental school! DENT1011 is the course where you practice all your drilling and in DENT1030 you learn about clinical procedures and dental materials in the lab :)

Hi guys
I'm another dent student joining this year. Just wondering if anyone knows how many students are offered a place this year.
congrats. If you look at course profile for dent1030 it says 3 lab classes of 22-23. so 66-69 people? i thought it was more.
from the course list here Course list for the Bachelor of Dental Science - Courses and Programs - The University of Queensland, Australia it should be CHEM1222 not CHEM1020 which didn't come up when i tried to search for it during "add course."

also from my course summary it says dent1011 and dent1030 are at st lucia campus instead of dentalschl. Only first year subject which is at dentalschl is oral1030.

Any other first year uq dents can confirm?
I'm having the same problem. I can't enrol in chem.

@LVL2 me neither

Hey guys. How long does it take you to get from St Lucia to Herston by bus? Are there enough buses for everyone?
In 3rd and 4th years, would all classes be at the herston campus and all exams at st lucia?

happyhaha

I'm also going to UQ for dentistry and am looking for accommodation since I will have to move from another state >__<
UQ has a nice website listing all the landlords they trust (UQ Rentals)
UQ Rentals

It looks useful for all of you who are also looking for somewhere :"DD

I shall be seeing you all in a months time hehe *3*

Hey everyone, I'm not a Queenslander so I'd like some help with accommodation.
Is the suburb of Parkinson a good place to stay if I'll be studying at St. Lucia and Herston campuses? By car, it can get to St. Lucia in 30 mins (according to google maps), but I don't drive a car. With public transport, it'd take 1.5hrs, which I find is too long. However, Parkinson would be convenient for me for a variety of reasons including rent-free living.
What should I do? Should I find somewhere closer to the campuses?

TimothyWJ

Rent free is a great incentive to travel, plus if your commuting you can use that time to study!!! I lived on the gold coast for a year and loved it, but don't know much around Brisbane! Good luck!

isaach

hey [MENTION=16318]superlinna[/MENTION] , as above, rent-free living is a pretty good incentive.

However, I'm born and raised in Brisbane and have never heard of Parkinson...having looked it up, I think that you could get away with living there for a while, but you'd probably get sick of it. Luckily there is a bus that goes directly between UQ St lucia and herston campuses, so that's easy once you're at one or the other to travel between. And I think the buses from that side of town run on a busway which is pretty quick.

So, depends on what you're used to and what you'd be happy to put up with. I've always lived within about 4kms of the city...so for me it's too far. But again, rent-free is pretty hard to pass up.

thank you for the replies!

when it comes to commuting, i'd rather it not take more than 45mins. usually because delays can cause haywire and make me late for important events/classes etc. thankfully i still have a bit more time to consider my accommodation woes :")

xerath

Hey guys,

I'm posting on behalf of a friend who doesn't have an account who has UQ dent as her first preference and she wants some advice on finding a place to stay as she's from interstate. She says that her classes are going to be held at both St Lucia and Herston campuses and hence isn't sure which suburbs/places she should find accommodation at for the most convenience (she doesn't have access to a car). She initially asked me about this but I am like no help to her at all lol

Any general advice/suggestions regarding accommodation? Which campus are the majority of classes held at?
All replies will be appreciated! :)

For students currently searching for accommodation or housing in a particular area, it would be worthwhile to check out this property rentals app called Snailapp. The app handles self-managed property in Australia and is a super efficient/convenient medium that accommodates for interactions between landlords and tenants.

dans

Hi guys, so I just got an offer for Bachelor of Dental Science at UQ and realised that the residential colleges I applied to were all located in St. Lucia, not Herston. Is there any good, student-populated accommodation around Herston?

Thanks!