UQ accomodation for UQ dentistry student

Discussion in 'University of Queensland' started by hummingbird, Jan 12, 2014.

1. hummingbird

hummingbird New Member

Hello mso users

For a first year dentistry student at UQ would it be better to live closer to St Lucia or to Herston. I have read that the school of dentistry will be moving to the new Herston campus, but some of the subjects are still at St Lucia?

The first year subjects are
    BIOL1040
    ORAL1010
    ORAL1020
    ORAL1030
    CHEM1022
    DENT1011
    DENT1030
    ORAL1050

Which of the above subjects are at St Lucia or Herston?

Oh, and this is my first post at MSO. Hi everyone : 3

2. Kass

Kass New Member

Welcome! ^_^
    Only ORAL1030 is in the Dental school in first semester and DENT1011/DENT1030 in second semester.

Most interstate students I know live in St Lucia or suburbs nearby such as Toowong or Indooroopilly. Hope to see you around next year!

3. hummingbird

hummingbird New Member

Thank you :)

So ORAL1030, DENT1011, DENT1030 are at the dental school. Is the dental school at the Herston campus near the royal Brisbane hospital?

Hopefully I'll see you and the other students soon.

4. deltaForce

deltaForce New Member

Hi hummingbird!

It's probably better to live near St Lucia. The transport's great, it's cheaper than living in the city & it's a fun way to make friends. You spend roughly 3 days a week at the St Lucia campus, and 2 days at the dental school. But I remember there were mixed days when you'd have to bus it from one campus to the other during lunch time (to make a BIOL1040 or CHEM1020 lecture/prac) and then bus back to attend an arvo lecture at the dental school.

The new Herston school is next to the UQ Med school & Royal Children's Hospital - if you're familiar with the busways, you get off at RCH Herston (and not RBWH station).

5. Br0nzy1s

Br0nzy1s New Member

Hi Hummingbird! Congratulations on your offer :)

It's not predicted until about July that some students begin moving into Herston - so when the actual first yrs move to Herston could be anywhere between July to November so it would definitely be better to live closer to St lucia. Also, as mentioned, your first two years includes classes at St Lucia anyway. Hope that helps!

6. Minjia Tee

Minjia Tee New Member

Hi guys
    I'm another dent student joining this year. Just wondering if anyone knows how many students are offered a place this year.

7. hummingbird

hummingbird New Member

Is anyone else finding trouble finding accomodation? - -
    Please suggest me some thanks

8. lordkai35

lordkai35 New Member

9. Lvl 2

Lvl 2 New Member

Hi hummingbird im in the same boat, looking for accomodation still.

Cant send private message until i get 10 posts lol

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  10. Kass

Kass New Member

They are both most definitely in the dental school! DENT1011 is the course where you practice all your drilling and in DENT1030 you learn about clinical procedures and dental materials in the lab :)

11. hummingbird

hummingbird New Member

congrats. If you look at course profile for dent1030 it says 3 lab classes of 22-23. so 66-69 people? i thought it was more.
    I'm having the same problem. I can't enrol in chem.

@LVL2 me neither

12. hummingbird

hummingbird New Member

Hey guys. How long does it take you to get from St Lucia to Herston by bus? Are there enough buses for everyone?
    In 3rd and 4th years, would all classes be at the herston campus and all exams at st lucia?

13. happyhaha

happyhaha New Member

I'm also going to UQ for dentistry and am looking for accommodation since I will have to move from another state >__<
    UQ has a nice website listing all the landlords they trust (UQ Rentals)
    UQ Rentals

It looks useful for all of you who are also looking for somewhere :"DD

I shall be seeing you all in a months time hehe *3*

14. Zer0

Zer0 New Member

Hi, would like to know where are the dent students usually stay, as I know there seems to be no on campus accommodation for students in Herston. Any suggestion by senior for places(streets name) which are near to the campus as well as groceries and food. I would prefer places within walking distance ( 15-25 minutes is fine) or even further places where transportation is easily available (buses, commuters). Side question, is all the classes for BDS held in Herston campus?