Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Actual Auckland MB ChB II Entry Ranking Formulae

buddingdoc

As it does not appear published I attach the ranking formulae as advised to me by the Uni of A. in response to an OIA request (and following encouragement of the Ombudsman to the Uni to release said information). According to the spreadsheet template also available via OIA the formulae is incomplete. To the result of the stated formulae 9 is added and the Maximium Std Score is deducted to arrive at the final rank score. The spreadsheet includes other logic.

This process is somewhat more than the 60 / 15 / 25 split indicated at https://www.fmhs.auckland.ac.nz/en/faculty/for/future-undergraduates/undergraduate-study-options/mbchb/entry.html

It seems determination of each students ranking score cannot be done without access to all applicant student data.

Any comments welcomed.

Attachments

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
I fail to see the point of requesting this under the OIA/FOIA provisions. The University clearly tells you on their website (which is the one you linked to) what their admission processes are and they have not significantly changed in a decade.

There is no possible rank advantage you can gain from this information so and by posting this it risks causing significant confusion to people who have read the publicly posted entry criteria, particularly those who are not adept at statistics and risk making them very concerned that somehow what the University says is not what the University does.

It should also be noted that the information regarding the interview is out of date; there is no longer a panel interview. The format has changed to a multiple mini interview (MMI).

easymoneysniper

I think that its interesting to see how the ranking is actually done. Thanks for this [MENTION=20147]buddingdoc[/MENTION]

buddingdoc

I fail to see the point of requesting this under the OIA/FOIA provisions.
For someone who has just missed out who requests their rank score form the admissions office may now have some slightly better understanding why their final rank score is not given to them.

This is a scientific institution. Its processes should be open to scrutiny. Anyone not interested will likely do the obvious and move on.

There is no possible rank advantage you can gain from this information
Where did I say there was? The information may be relevant to simply understanding, and if someone wishes to consider their prospects on appeal of their apparent rejection.

Incidentally it does not seem to be mentioned however there are two stages of appeal available. While I could not find the details searching the Uni website the admissions office on direct request will provide a document that specifically details the processes.

It should also be noted that the information regarding the interview is out of date; there is no longer a panel interview. The format has changed to a multiple mini interview (MMI).
Yes, the document says its for 2014. Given my experience it might take half a year to obtain the 2015 equivalent.

greenglacier

Emeritus MSO Staff
Emeritus
That's quite useful information - thanks.

I think the main take-home message is that the 60/15/25 does genuinely represent the importance of each component. We've previously worked under the impression that the interview is hugely important as scores can range from 2-10 (whereas GPAs of interviewees tend to be highly clustered). This document suggests that the interview is not as important as initially suspected - as the greater variation in scores is compensated for by correcting for the standard deviation of scores.

ImmortalFire

I'd just like to point out (as a student going into FYBioMed) the attached doc is outdated as from last year the panel interview has been replaced with MMI (Multiple mini interviews) :)