Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Adelaide UAdel Dentistry: Entry Requirements

arvin

Lurker
Oh exciting this is my first post emm basically am an uk dental applicant and also planning to apply to dental unis abroad
not sure if its a right place to post but ...
So I looked up a few dental schools in australia but didnt quite understand their requirements ..wondered if anyone can be any help and shed some light
In the mean time I try to look up more and see if I can make my questions a bit more specific :)

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Oh exciting this is my first post emm basically am an uk dental applicant and also planning to apply to dental unis abroad
not sure if its a right place to post but ...
So I looked up a few dental schools in australia but didnt quite understand their requirements ..wondered if anyone can be any help and shed some light
In the mean time I try to look up more and see if I can make my questions a bit more specific :)

Hey arvin, welcome to MSO!

Each uni is different, and hence will require different things.
University of Adelaide dentistry (BDS) requires all international students to take the ISAT exam and to take an interview. Best to look at the UADEL dentistry article (under the dentistry tab -> undergraduate -> UoAdelaide) to see more about the path.

Each uni has a dentistry article so you can look at them as well (though they are not finished yet) but if you have more questions, have a look at the sub forums for each uni, and ask there. Good luck!

Dugong

Lurker
Just enquiring for a friend but what are the thresholds for transferring from first year uni. Is it just 5.0 GPA or does umat have to be redone as well?

mighty

Just enquiring for a friend but what are the thresholds for transferring from first year uni. Is it just 5.0 GPA or does umat have to be redone as well?
Have a read of this article. Adelaide Dentistry Entrance Information - Med Students Online
It answers your question if you have a little read (especially the FAQs).
As I understand it though, you need to reach the 5.0 GPA threshold and you also need to have a competitive UMAT score (~84%tile).

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Mighty is right. You will need to the UMAT and a decent GPA (at least above 5.0 for consideration). You will be applying with school leavers though, so no special entry scheme.

adXL

Lurker
Hi there, I'm new here so still navigating around checking out this forum. It's very useful! Anyway a quick question for clarification, adelaide dent uses scores, not percentiles for selection? And all sections are of equal weighting (basically add the 3 scores together)

Thanks for your help!! =))

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Hi there, I'm new here so still navigating around checking out this forum. It's very useful! Anyway a quick question for clarification, adelaide dent uses scores, not percentiles for selection? And all sections are of equal weighting (basically add the 3 scores together)

Thanks for your help!! =))

Yes and yes. :)

Hey guys!!

Im a non-standard applicant (finished degree already) and wanted some more information specifically for offers into dent

After having read Adelaide Dentistry Entrance Information - Med Students Online just wanted some clarification

I was wondering if the GPA 5.0 was purely a hurdle/tiebreaker for offers and offers are given purely on interview ranking? (i seem to remember reading that somewhere in the forum?) or will final offers be a combination GPA, UMAT AND interview score?

Edit: Hypothetically person A achieves the number 1 rank for interview score but the lowest ATAR/GPA and person B achieves the lowest interview score but highest ATAR/GPA, who has the better chance? (is the weighing equal?)

I am quite nervous as i dont think i have a stellar GPA :( , I was on merit list last year at ~150 so i assume my GPA is >5.0 and was also wondering if anyone had information which ranking it went down to in 2012?

Would really really appreciate it if @miss_universe or someone with some knowledge could help me out :)

Thankyou so so so much in advance!

Last edited:

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Hey guys!!

Im a non-standard applicant (finished degree already) and wanted some more information specifically for offers into dent

After having read Adelaide Dentistry Entrance Information - Med Students Online just wanted some clarification

I was wondering if the GPA 5.0 was purely a hurdle/tiebreaker for offers and offers are given purely on interview ranking? (i seem to remember reading that somewhere in the forum?) or will final offers be a combination GPA, UMAT AND interview score?

I am quite nervous as i dont think i have a stellar GPA :( , I was on merit list last year at ~150 so i assume my GPA is >5.0 and was also wondering if anyone had information which ranking it went down to in 2012?

Would really really appreciate it if @miss_universe or someone with some knowledge could help me out :)

Thankyou so so so much in advance!

Hiya and welcome :)

The higher the GPA the better, though it is not more important then the interview. Basically the interview will determine how likely you are to get a place in a broad sense, and the UMAT/GPA further increase your chances to a certain extent.

If you dont mind me asking what was your GPA? I had a 5.7 or so, and was around ~70 on the merit list in my year. So really, I obviously didnt have the best GPA (it was more than 5.0 though) and I was pretty early on the list.

If you dont mind me asking what was your GPA? I had a 5.7 or so, and was around ~70 on the merit list in my year. So really, I obviously didnt have the best GPA (it was more than 5.0 though) and I was pretty early on the list.

Thankyou so much for your SUPER QUICK reply!! hehe How does Uadel work out the GPA? I'm actually a Usyd graduate so might need to do a lil conversion ~~

Edit : never mind, i found http://www.adelaide.edu.au/enrol/gradepointaverage/ - shall calculate

Also have they disclosed the position of the last person accepted into Dent 2012 merit list ranking?

Last edited:

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Thankyou so much for your SUPER QUICK reply!! hehe How does Uadel work out the GPA? I'm actually a Usyd graduate so might need to do a lil conversion ~~

Edit : never mind, i found University Enrolment | Grade Point Average - shall calculate

Also have they disclosed the position of the last person accepted into Dent 2012 merit list ranking?

No, but I think it was around 111 for this year. :)

Omg im so scared now, somehow i didn't get above 5 after calculating :S ! :cry: but i was given a merit ranking last year and quoting MSO entrance info : ** That means if you don’t get that 5.0, you will be removed from the merit-list (the same as not getting the 90 ATAR) ** My question now is, how does Uadel get my GPA? Isit via SATAC? or do we have to send the transcripts to them?

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Omg im so scared now, somehow i didn't get above 5 after calculating :S ! :cry: but i was given a merit ranking last year and quoting MSO entrance info : ** That means if you don’t get that 5.0, you will be removed from the merit-list (the same as not getting the 90 ATAR) ** My question now is, how does Uadel get my GPA? Isit via SATAC? or do we have to send the transcripts to them?

They will get it through SATAC when you give SATAC your university ID. Thats terrible about your GPA! I hoope you still get considered. Did you have the same GPA from last year?

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Awesome!!!! Thanks for all your help muse!! you're awesome (yy) Hope to maybe cya at interviews ^^

Possibly.. :p

I dont think I got invite to interviews this year. Maybe I just missed the invitation :D