Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Adelaide UAdel Medicine: General Discussion

YouCanDOIT

Adelaide MBBS I
Hi all,

With first round offers 5 days away I’m sure some of you are feeling the nerves much like myself.

I just thought I would create this thread as a place to discuss our thoughts and feelings over the coming days, such as how you thought your interview went, what pathway you’re applying through and so on.

All the best to everyone :)

hs2000

On my SATAC ‘selection status’ menu it says: ‘You did not receive an offer in the main offer round’. Does that mean I missed out already?

Oops

Good luck everyone :) Re: Adelaide offers they are not always released with the normal SATAC offers (from experience aha) and they will keep sending out more offers for a few weeks after the normal SATAC rounds. I know people who received offers ~4 weeks into the start of the course.

Peace,

Medtastic

Is anyone having issues with trying to add MEDIC ST 1101A to their course list on the timetable planner? When I have the course status set as "open classes only" I can't add the course (it doesn't come up when I search it), but when I have the course status set as "open and full classes" then the course does come up, leading me to believe the course is full. Is this happening to anyone else?

YouCanDOIT

Adelaide MBBS I
Is anyone having issues with trying to add MEDIC ST 1101A to their course list on the timetable planner? When I have the course status set as "open classes only" I can't add the course (it doesn't come up when I search it), but when I have the course status set as "open and full classes" then the course does come up, leading me to believe the course is full. Is this happening to anyone else?

My friend is having the same issue, if you go on the course planner then search "Scientific basis of medicine I part 1" or something to this ilk - "scientific basis" is sufficient (then click on the part 1 and year 1) - and look at the Case Based Learning section, you'll see theres 60 spots in each class and both are full. More will definitely open soon (there are 164 Adelaide med students per year roughly, 44 more than 120). But that is your problem I believe, and no, you're not alone :)

Jimmy4343

Lurker
Hi All,

Does Adelaide University favour South Australian Applicants, because I heard somewhere that SA applicants get their UCAT score boosted for the Interview invitation process.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi All,

Does Adelaide University favour South Australian Applicants, because I heard somewhere that SA applicants get their UCAT score boosted for the Interview invitation process.

This used to be the case a couple of years ago under UMAT, but has not been in place for at least the past year, perhaps even two years. I’ve not (yet?) heard that they’re moving back to that historical practice under UCAT. Where did you get this information?

zzzyou

Hey guys

I’ve my medicine interview scheduled at the end of sept and I’ll like to know if anyone could share some experiences of how studying med in UOA is like? What’s the curriculum like? How are most of the classes held? Could anyone tell me more about CBL? I would really appreciate ANY kind & as much info I can get regarding med. it’s been kinda hard to prepare for my interview because I feel the admission guide doesn’t really provide me with much information and I unfortunately do not know any med students I could consult personally so i would really appreciate any form of relevant information. Thanks in advance! :)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Trinhcent will hopefully be able to help you when he is next online :)

I am not sure if it is different for international students (I am guessing not) but domestic students need to sign an NDA for their interview, so while people are free to share as much information about the university and the course itself, they won’t be able to share details of the interview itself, so you are aware.

Also, some great info about the course from MD here: Guide to First Year Medicine at University of Adelaide

Trinhcent

professional silly goose
Hey guys

I’ve my medicine interview scheduled at the end of sept and I’ll like to know if anyone could share some experiences of how studying med in UOA is like? What’s the curriculum like? How are most of the classes held? Could anyone tell me more about CBL? I would really appreciate ANY kind & as much info I can get regarding med. it’s been kinda hard to prepare for my interview because I feel the admission guide doesn’t really provide me with much information and I unfortunately do not know any med students I could consult personally so i would really appreciate any form of relevant information. Thanks in advance! :)

Hey zzzyou that's a great question and there's probably enough that I could write a whole post on it alone but I'll keep it short sharp shiny for now. MD's post is very comprehensive to when it comes to covering the general experience so I'll make this more specific to your questions. Take this with a grain of salt.

The curriculum does it's best to be integrated, you have 3 streams which tie into one:
- case based learning (CBL)
- clinical practice
- Medical professional and personal development (MPPD)

Then you also have fundamentals of biomedical science (FBS) which is its own stream.

All your anatomy, histology, physiological, pharmacology etc. are all based around the clinical cases that you cover in CBL. Clinical practice where you learn your clinical skills will relate to the current case you are doing. I.e. you start with cardio cases so the first thing after general history taking that you learn is how to take a cardiovascular history + perform a cardiovascular examination. MPPD ties in as well, however, much more in second semester where you learn how to counsel patients and deal with different situations (first sem is more medical ethics, confidentiality etc.). The idea with CBL is that whatever you learn you revisit again in the later years and that you will build upon that later knowledge.

For CBL you normally have 4x 90 minute sessions per case (monday, wed, friday), and in each of those sessions you get handouts which tell you more about the patient. Before the case there is pre-reading to do, which means you have to study up beforehand to be able to cover what comes up in the session. It's all very self directed learning and you basically teach yourself. The lectures are there to consolidate what you go through in the sessions, and are timed so that they deal with content AFTER you have covered it in CBL. This can be a bit annoying but its good for consolidating the content. Normally first sess is anatomy, second sess is phys related to case, third is pathophys mayb, 4th session is mega mech + management. The workload is a fair amount and you're expected to cover the content and learning issues in your own time.

That's just a rough overview but if you've any other questions feel free to message me!
I gotchu Crow

Vulcan24

Hi Guys
How long do the interviews for university of Adelaide take as i want to book dentistry and medicine on the same day as i am an interstate student

L

Logic

Hi Guys
How long do the interviews for university of Adelaide take as i want to book dentistry and medicine on the same day as i am an interstate student
"Interviews for the MBBS degree comprise of two 15 minute sessions. In each session you will be interviewed by a panel of up to two interviewers."
"The duration of the BDS interview is 15 minutes and you will be assessed by a panel of two interviewers."
From their website^

robot123

Any reason why the UCAT scores for med were so high for Adelaide University this year?

Just confusing cause more people did the UMAT last year than the UCAT this year and offers were given for 88%...

Last edited by a moderator:

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
*for adelaide uni
Are you sure more people did the UMAT last year than the UCAT this year? I don't think ACER has ever revealed the number of UMAT test takers. Abd last year's interview invite cutoff was 89.x which is pretty close to this year's (90.x). Still sucks that it keeps going up with no sign of stopping though :\

Last edited:

robot123

Are you sure more people did the UMAT last year than the UCAT this year? I don't think ACER has ever revealed the number of UMAT test takers. ANd last year's interview invite cutoff was 89.x which is pretty close to this year's (90.x). Still sucks that it keeps going up with no sign of stopping though :\

I just assumed more people would have done the UMAT because of the fact that it is all on the same day and that they are held in large test centres that can hold in the thousands over Australia. Interesting to find this out though from ACER.

Also side note, I don't think it was 89 cause someone got in with an 88% last yr (non-rural school leaver). they might have gotten 2nd round tho...