Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Admissions Centres Preferencing: General Discussion

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
For UAC applications for just a normal NSW domestic applicant, are offers for all 3 med schools released in the same round (i.e. can only receive one offer) or different rounds? If so, is there a specific order that we should be ranking our preferences and then rearranging (or is that just for interstate applicants)?

A1

Rookie Doc
For UAC applications for just a normal NSW domestic applicant, are offers for all 3 med schools released in the same round (i.e. can only receive one offer) or different rounds? If so, is there a specific order that we should be ranking our preferences and then rearranging (or is that just for interstate applicants)?

All 3 schools send their offer lists to UAC for UAC to sort out who gets which offer (depending on their prefs), then release in the same UAC offer round. One around 10th Jan, one early Feb.

General rule is you should not have any school at top pref (for a particular UAC offer round) if you have not interviewed there. So yes it applies mostly to interstate applicants, but there can be NSW non-standards who get deferred to 2nd round interviews due to late release of their semester 2 results.

All 3 schools send their offer lists to UAC for UAC to sort out who gets which offer (depending on their prefs), then release in the same UAC offer round. One around 10th Jan, one early Feb.

General rule is you should not have any school at top pref (for a particular UAC offer round) if you have not interviewed there. So yes it applies mostly to interstate applicants, but there can be NSW non-standards who get deferred to 2nd round interviews due to late release of their semester 2 results.
So to double check, say for example I have uni A as first pref but they give out second round offers (interstate) and uni B is a second pref first round offer uni, for the first round I won't get any offers (even if my overall score is sufficient for a place at uni B) and then during the second round offers in the case I don't get a offer from uni A I will still get the offer from uni B?
I think it sounds very confusing but hopefully you can make sense of it..

A1

Rookie Doc
So to double check, say for example I have uni A as first pref but they give out second round offers (interstate) and uni B is a second pref first round offer uni, for the first round I won't get any offers (even if my overall score is sufficient for a place at uni B) and then during the second round offers in the case I don't get a offer from uni A I will still get the offer from uni B?
I think it sounds very confusing but hopefully you can make sense of it..

Yes if you qualify for B in the 1st round but it's subject to the outcome of a higher pref (which you have not interviewed for), UAC *may* hold back the B offer until A is known. So in the 2nd offer round you will get at least B if unsuccessful for A.

Matter here is most would want to have the B offer in hand in the 1st offer round, so don't put A at 1st pref until after receiving B.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I

Thanks A1,

Another question. It’s a little complicated because Griffith completes more than 1 FTE in a year (we complete 1.75 FTE/14 units by the first year because it is accelerated with 5 units a trimester).

However, by the end of Trimester 2 we will have completed 10 units (1.25 FTE). Interviews occur during Trimester 3 at Griffith - given that we have already completed more than 1 FTE by then, and that Tri 3 results don’t come out till mid-February next year (which is way after all the offer rounds), am I correct in assuming that interview invites and final scores will be based off the results of the first 2 Trimesters (1.25 FTE)?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
am I correct in assuming that interview invites and final scores will be based off the results of the first 2 Trimesters (1.25 FTE)?
That’ll be correct, and won’t be a problem as Griffith final grades will be out before mid November, I imagine (which is before ATARs are even released, I think).

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
For UAC, I've got UNSW MedSci as my 5th preference. Since I'm assuming Med Schools don't release offers in the same Dec round as the majority of other courses, if I receive an offer for MedSci at UNSW in first round offers, can I accept it and then remove it from my preferences to compete for another backup course (e.g. nursing or pharmacy) for the next round?
Yep, you could do that! :) Though I’d personally suggest having nursing or pharmacy preferenced above med sci from the start ;)

A1

Rookie Doc
For UAC, I've got UNSW MedSci as my 5th preference. Since I'm assuming Med Schools don't release offers in the same Dec round as the majority of other courses, if I receive an offer for MedSci at UNSW in first round offers, can I accept it and then remove it from my preferences to compete for another backup course (e.g. nursing or pharmacy) for the next round?

1. Technically if MedSc is your 5th pref you should not receive an offer in the Dec early round. It may be denoted in UAC as Qualified, not as an "Offer made".

2. If UAC does give you the offer, I have read in some TACs that after accepting you move it to lowest pref but do not delete. I don't know what would happen if deleted.

A1

Rookie Doc
Yes if you qualify for B in the 1st round but it's subject to the outcome of a higher pref (which you have not interviewed for), UAC *may* hold back the B offer until A is known. So in the 2nd offer round you will get at least B if unsuccessful for A.

To explain a little further on why^ UAC might withhold offer B if it is subject to higher pref A. In the event, after interstate interview, you get offered A, UAC can offer "your B" to another applicant.

If UAC had offered B to you in the 1st offer round you'd now be sitting on two offers while someone is still left hanging.

That's the intent, however you can circumvent UAC by having B 1st pref for 1st round then swap A to 1st pref for 2nd round. You could sit on two offers anyway until March. I hope UAC will close this loophole soon.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
However, you can circumvent UAC by having B 1st pref for 1st round then swap A to 1st pref for 2nd round. You could sit on two offers anyway until March. I hope UAC will close this loophole soon.

Yes, for anyone reading this, please keep in mind the person who gets your second/third/fourth offer in March and how you'd feel if that was you. Obviously, in some situations, there are valid reasons for sitting on multiple offers (awaiting accommodation offers or scholarships, etc), but where you've already made up your mind, please decline any unwanted offers ASAP (both within the same TAC and across state lines) so they can be made to the next person on the list in a timely fashion.

/PSA :D

A1

Rookie Doc
Oh, why is that the case A1?

It's the same explanation as for offer B in this post > Quick Questions Thread 2019/2020

That said, MedSc spots are not as scarce as Med so UAC may give out MedSc offers regardless of pref. But I remember earlier someone did say to receive an offer in the early (prior-to-med) offer round that course has to be 1st pref.

zx72ksq8o

Hi, can somebody please explain to me how the offer rounds work? For UAC, first round offers (for most courses) come out on 23rd of Dec. The later round is 10th of Jan - in which med schools in NSW release offers (if im right).

What if, hypothetically, med is down for your first three choices and then you have two science degrees for your last two choices - would you get an offer for the science degrees in Dec? What do you do if you still want to do medicine and are waiting for an offer in Jan? Do you lose your offer for the science degree in the waiting process? And worst case scenario - what if you don't get accepted into med ... and you lost your Dec offer?

Sorry for making you guys read all that. And thanks in advance :)

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi, can somebody please explain to me how the offer rounds work? For UAC, first round offers (for most courses) come out on 23rd of Dec. The later round is 10th of Jan - in which med schools in NSW release offers (if im right).

What if, hypothetically, med is down for your first three choices and then you have two science degrees for your last two choices - would you get an offer for the science degrees in Dec? What do you do if you still want to do medicine and are waiting for an offer in Jan? Do you lose your offer for the science degree in the waiting process? And worst case scenario - what if you don't get accepted into med ... and you lost your Dec offer?

Sorry for making you guys read all that. And thanks in advance :)

Too many what-ifs to explain fully. Basically don't put any courses at high prefs if they are not out for that offer round, e.g. instate med for Dec offers, interstate med for Jan offers if you have not been interviewed.

It's why the TACs allow you to change prefs freely immediately after an offer round is released.

A1

Rookie Doc
So does this mean that for NSW students, UNSW, WSU and JMP should be placed AFTER the other 2 non-med courses?

Yes, for the Dec offer round(s).

What would happen if those 3 were left at the top?

In a strict sense UAC would withhold a Dec 4th/5th pref offer. Comes January if you get no med UAC then release it to you. If you do get a med UAC have that 4th/5th pref offer (say CSU Dent) in hand to offer to another applicant. If it had been offered to you in Dec they don't have that liberty.

That said, I don't know whether UAC will be as strict with this withholding rule for courses with lots of places like MedSc rather than Dent.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I’m a bit confused about UAC preferences for medicine. I heard that you can only get one offer from one uni (eg. UNSW will only make one degree offer to a student), so if I put medical science at UNSW as one of my preferences and get an offer for December round 2, does that disqualify me from medicine offer for January round (at UNSW), as I already reached the limit of one offer per uni. And if this is true, does it mean that until January rounds, I shouldn’t put any non-medicine degrees as my preference, because if one of the universities offering medicine accept me for another course, then I wouldn’t get an offer for medicine because of the one uni, one offer rule?
You can get up to one offer per offer round. This means that you could hypothetically receive an offer for one course in December, accept it, then move your preferences around so that you’re in the running for an offer for another course in the January round. If you did receive a second place offer this could be from the same uni, yes.

Hopefully that clears it up for you? :)

L

Logic

You can get up to one offer per offer round. This means that you could hypothetically receive an offer for one course in December, accept it, then move your preferences around so that you’re in the running for an offer for another course in the January round. If you did receive a second place offer this could be from the same uni, yes.

However (and A1 can correct me if I’m wrong) if you have UNSW medicine as a higher preference than medical science for the December round, then I’m inclined to believe you wouldn’t get the medical science offer in December because you would still be in the running for UNSW medicine (which wouldn’t have completed its selection process by December, obviously).

Hopefully that clears it up for you? :)
I do believe you can receive other non-medicine UNSW offers (and other university offers) even if they are a lower preference to UNSW medicine in the December round.

Last edited by a moderator:

A1

Rookie Doc
UNSW vs WSU preferencing.

Just to stir the pot a little have you guys realised UAC has made this preferencing a little easier for interstate applicants than for NSW students?

Assuming the general preferences are UNSW unbonded > WSU unbonded > UNSW bonded > WSU bonded. An interstate applicant can place WSU 1st pref for the 1st round, receive a place offer (whether bonded or unbonded) & accept it, do the UNSW interview, move UNSW to 1st pref for 2nd round, also get an offer. Then have 1-2 weeks to choose between the two depending on bonded/unbonded.

A NSW applicant needs to put UNSW above WSU for the 1st round, let's say get a UNSW bonded offer. Now what?

- Move WSU to 1st pref for the 2nd round hoping for unbonded? Unfortunately WSU doesn't have a formal 2nd round for med.

- Imitate an interstate by putting WSU 1st pref for 1st round then UNSW 1st pref for 2nd round? I'm not sure anyone will be brave enough to do that. Not me since I wouldn't want to miss out on a UNSW offer 1st round (due to getting a WSU bonded for example) while there's no guarantee of a UNSW comeback in the 2nd round.

The interstates turn the table on the instates for once haha.

Smelly Boy

I can be ur angle 😇 or ur devil 😈
Valued Member
UNSW vs WSU preferencing.

Just to stir the pot a little have you guys realised UAC has made this preferencing a little easier for interstate applicants than for NSW students?

Assuming the general preferences are UNSW unbonded > WSU unbonded > UNSW bonded > WSU bonded. An interstate applicant can place WSU 1st pref for the 1st round, receive a place offer (whether bonded or unbonded) & accept it, do the UNSW interview, move UNSW to 1st pref for 2nd round, also get an offer. Then have 1-2 weeks to choose between the two depending on bonded/unbonded.

A NSW applicant needs to put UNSW above WSU for the 1st round, let's say get a UNSW bonded offer. Now what next?

- Move WSU to 1st pref for the 2nd round hoping for unbonded? Unfortunately WSU doesn't have a formal 2nd round for med.

- Imitate an interstate by putting WSU 1st pref for 1st round then UNSW 1st pref for 2nd round? I'm not sure anyone will be brave enough to do that. Not me since I wouldn't want to miss out on a UNSW offer 1st round (due to getting a WSU bonded for example) while there's no guarantee of a UNSW comeback in the 2nd round.

The interstates turn the table on the instates for once haha.
Thanks. Kids are crying now.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Apologies if this has been answered before, but is there any way of accepting a first round UNSW bonded med offer, but then waiting for second round offers to see if you can receive a UWS unbonded? Or will you have to accept UNSW bonded if UNSW is your first preference, and never know if you made it to UWS unbonded?
Yes, you can accept a UNSW offer, then move WSU to the top of your preferences and wait for a second round offer. However, I’m curious as to what happens if WSU has already sent out all of their CSP offers in the earlier round, including to people who were ranked lower than you (in this hypothetical scenario), and they all get accepted (obviously wouldn’t happen in reality, but hypothetical here). Do these higher ranked applicants that had UNSW (or JMP for that matter) preferenced first for round 1 just end up with bonded offers if all of the unbonded CSP offers get accepted in the first round A1 LMG! ?

Sorry for answering your question with a question!

(As an aside, I really feel that all universities should split bonded and unbonded into separate preferences, particularly with the dramatically increased return of service requirements for those receiving BMPs in 2020. Tough to have to accept a bonded place when you were eligible for a CSP at another uni.)

Edited by LMG to clear up misunderstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

A1

Rookie Doc
Yes, you can accept a UNSW offer, then move WSU to the top of your preferences and wait for a second round offer. However, I’m curious as to what happens if WSU has already sent out all of their CSP offers in the earlier round

Since WSU doesn't hold a separate round of interviews for interstate applicants they don't have a formal 2nd round of offers
> MD Important Dates and Deadlines | Western Sydney University

In the 1st round presumably WSU will send to UAC a *ranked* list of its applicants for place offers. UAC will start from top down but skip those who also get a higher-pref UNSW offer, so WSU's last (110th) place may go to one who ranks say 150th.

When some of these WSU offers are later declined (maybe after getting a home state offer), without a 2nd round WSU could give them out as direct top-up offers rather than via UAC. The big question is will WSU give them to the 151st, 152nd etc or will they bother to check if any of the 1st-round skipped ones now want a second dip?