Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Admissions Centres Preferencing: General Discussion

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hello. I hope you're well.

I'm a year 12 VIC applicant applying interstate and I'm in the process of putting down my preferences for QTAC. I was wondering how you would order UQLD and JCU? I'm not sure how to differentiate between the two in terms of preferencing? My UCAT is 87th percentile.
Just order them according to which uni you'd actually prefer to go to - you aren't increasing your chances of getting in to one over the other by putting it first. If I were interstate then JCU would very easily be my top preference, but obviously up to you.

N182

Hi, I'm facing the problem A1 mentioned, in that I prefer UNSW kesington and WSU over UNSW port Macq and CSU. Would it be beneficial to remove the UNSW port macq option, and put UNSW first in UAC? Then if I don't get an UNSW offer I still have a chance for WSU. Am I understanding this right?(Also I think I meet the requirements for Griffith so don't really need port macq as a backup although its in NSW).

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi, I'm facing the problem A1 mentioned, in that I prefer UNSW kesington and WSU over UNSW port Macq and CSU. Would it be beneficial to remove the UNSW port macq option, and put UNSW first in UAC? Then if I don't get an UNSW offer I still have a chance for WSU. Am I understanding this right?(Also I think I meet the requirements for Griffith so don't really need port macq as a backup although its in NSW).

If you definitely don't "need" Port Macq then it's simple, don't choose it in the UNSW application.

The dilemma is only when you won't qualify for any offer apart from Port Macq - if you haven't chosen it you'll get nothing. Otoh if you choose just in such case, you could get it in preference to a WSU offer.

Nardwuar

Does WSU have a direct application this year? I remember completing one last year but I can't seem to find if I need to fill one out this year.

Also could someone confirm my understanding of the following unis:
UNSW med - requires a direct application
USYD med and dent - don't require a direct application
Newcastle med - requires a direct application

N182

Does WSU have a direct application this year? I remember completing one last year but I can't seem to find if I need to fill one out this year.

Also could someone confirm my understanding of the following unis:
UNSW med - requires a direct application
USYD med and dent - don't require a direct application
Newcastle med - requires a direct application
WSU doesn't have a direct application this year, it's all done through UAC (i.e. campus preferencing). I believe you are correct for those three unis.

based on the key dates pages of jmp and jpm it seems they only participate in 1 uac round in jan: so if my preferences are uon>wsu>une>csu theres no way i can change preferences for a later round because its just the 1 right? for jpm it seems like in case i receive an offer its more likely to be at wsu than csu because of the 80% rural places to csu ; whereas for jmp even though i preference uon the chances of getting uon or une seem more similar than wsu vs csu ? (or is this not right?) even though i prefer uon>wsu its not by much and id definitely prefer wsu>une by alot more than uon>wsu - in this case what would you advise to preference first? i guess my question is: IF offered a jmp place, is the chance of being offered une campus even though uon is 1st pref, relatively high (possibly due to more people preferencing uon?), so much that i should just place jpm 1st? this is all just hypothetical and just for the purpose of uac preferencing and the small chance of success at either of these programs!!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
based on the key dates pages of jmp and jpm it seems they only participate in 1 uac round in jan: so if my preferences are uon>wsu>une>csu theres no way i can change preferences for a later round because its just the 1 right? for jpm it seems like in case i receive an offer its more likely to be at wsu than csu because of the 80% rural places to csu ; whereas for jmp even though i preference uon the chances of getting uon or une seem more similar than wsu vs csu ? (or is this not right?) even though i prefer uon>wsu its not by much and id definitely prefer wsu>une by alot more than uon>wsu - in this case what would you advise to preference first? i guess my question is: IF offered a jmp place, is the chance of being offered une campus even though uon is 1st pref, relatively high (possibly due to more people preferencing uon?), so much that i should just place jpm 1st? this is all just hypothetical and just for the purpose of uac preferencing and the small chance of success at either of these programs!!

Of the total offers for JMP, more are at UoN than UNE (~110 places compared to ~60 places), so no, you’re not more likely to get a UNE place, but the location skewing is definitely even more favourably lopsided between WSU and CSU yep.

As for whether you could try for a second round JMP offer, while only anecdotal, it loo does generally seem like locals VERY RARELY get second round offers (we typically have none reported here and this fits with second hand reports that second round offers are for interstaters). You’d be more likely (if you were lucky) to get a top up offer via phone in early Feb directly from the uni that you qualify for.

Your best bet would probably be to have JMP before WSU because:
1. If you don’t qualify for JMP first round, but do qualify for WSU, you will get WSU
2. If you do qualify for JMP and get UoN then, happy days
3. If you do qualify for JMP but get UNE, you can accept offer and then switch preferences to try for WSU second round, which we are more confident they participate in even for locals (I know someone who did exactly this but not because UNE, rather UoN BMP so tried for WSU CSP in second round and got it)

but others may have different suggestions, and I am definitely no expert on this topic!

Of the total offers for JMP, more are at UoN than UNE (~110 places compared to ~60 places), so no, you’re not more likely to get a UNE place, but the location skewing is definitely even more favourably lopsided between WSU and CSU yep.

As for whether you could try for a second round JMP offer, while only anecdotal, it loo does generally seem like locals VERY RARELY get second round offers (we typically have none reported here and this fits with second hand reports that second round offers are for interstaters). You’d be more likely (if you were lucky) to get a top up offer via phone in early Feb directly from the uni that you qualify for.

Your best bet would probably be to have JMP before WSU because:
1. If you don’t qualify for JMP first round, but do qualify for WSU, you will get WSU
2. If you do qualify for JMP and get UoN then, happy days
3. If you do qualify for JMP but get UNE, you can accept offer and then switch preferences to try for WSU second round, which we are more confident they participate in even for locals (I know someone who did exactly this but not because UNE, rather UoN BMP so tried for WSU CSP in second round and got it)

but others may have different suggestions, and I am definitely no expert on this topic!
thank you so much for your advice that makes sense! only that is there any way of confirming if wsu participate in the second round before then, probably i email them?, as online it only mentions a round 1 in jan?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
thank you so much for your advice that makes sense! only that is there any way of confirming if wsu participate in the second round before then, probably i email them?, as online it only mentions a round 1 in jan?

Well, my friend (a NSW local) most definitely got a second Jan round offer, but that was for 2017 entry, so yeah, maybe try and get a confirmation from them because they have changed their interview timing structure since then. I’ll also have a look at last year’s offer reports and see if anything stands out and report back here in a minute.

ETA: okay so we had 4 people report second round WSU offers for 2020 entry, 1 person report a third round offer, and 1 person report a top up phone call offer.

ETA2: in contrast, there were zero subsequent round offers noted here for JMP (all reported seem to have been first round as I try to separate them out for exactly the reasons we are talking about here - amongst others things).

Last edited:
Well, my friend (a NSW local) most definitely got a second Jan round offer, but that was for 2017 entry, so yeah, maybe try and get a confirmation from them because they have changed their interview timing structure since then. I’ll also have a look at last year’s offer reports and see if anything stands out and report back here in a minute.

ETA: okay so we had 4 people report second round WSU offers for 2020 entry, 1 person report a third round offer, and 1 person report a top up phone call offer.

ETA2: in contrast, there were zero subsequent round offers noted here for JMP (all reported seem to have been first round as I try to separate them out for exactly the reasons we are talking about here - amongst others things).
oh wow i see, these are all non-rural/non-gws right? once again, thanks so much clarifying :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
oh wow i see, these are all non-rural/non-gws right? once again, thanks so much clarifying :)

One of the second round was rural or GWS, but I think the rest were, yep. I was more confirming existence of subsequent rounds rather than who got the offers, but from memory, most were non-rural, non-GWS, yes.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
right yes makes sense! thank you!

It possibly reflects the fact that GWS is probably (pure speculation on my part!) the least ‘declined’ category, followed by rural (and also this had, historically, the fewest spots available so we are always going to get small numbers of people reporting here). General is probably (again, pure spec!) the most declined category (as people decline for home-state offers) meaning the most subsequent round offers are made to these applicants (and are reported to MSO!).

It possibly reflects the fact that GWS is probably (pure speculation on my part!) the least ‘declined’ category, followed by rural (and also this had, historically, the fewest spots available so we are always going to get small numbers of people reporting here). General is probably (again, pure spec!) the most declined category (as people decline for home-state offers) meaning the most subsequent round offers are made to these applicants (and are reported to MSO!).
ohh true i see what you mean, hopefully this is the case!!

cocodreams

Not sure if this is the right place, but does University of Western Australia require predicted ATAR? What unis other than Curtin and JCU require predicted ATAR?

A1

Rookie Doc
does University of Western Australia require predicted ATAR?

UWA requires from WA students, not needed from interstate since their interview selection is done after ATAR release.
No unis other than JCU & Curtin afaik.

cocodreams

I have this message appearing on my SATAC account: Not currently eligible for consideration

This is Bachelor of Clinical Sciences/Doctor of Medicine at Flinder's Uni in Adelaide. I am currently in year 12 and applying as a school leaver.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I have this message appearing on my SATAC account: Not currently eligible for consideration

This is Bachelor of Clinical Sciences/Doctor of Medicine at Flinder's Uni in Adelaide. I am currently in year 12 and applying as a school leaver.
This has already been brought up I think. The TAC codes are notoriously unreliable and they may just be yet to process your application (it’s VERY early days so this is very likely). You can panic if it’s the same in 3 months time but don’t worry about it at all for now.

mafkyhm

Answered

Good Afternoon,

Applying for: Medicine
Application Type: School leaver
Predicted ATAR: ~99.95 (IB score of 45)
UCAT Percentile Rank: 80th
VR: 700
DM: 700
QR: 710
AR: 670
Total: 2780
SJ: 687
Current State: NSW
Applying to: All universities
Rural Applicant: No
GWS Applicant: No
Indigenous Applicant: No
Other: N/A
Specific Question: For my situation, do you mind having a look if this is the best way to order my preferences? Thank you!

UAC
1 - USYD - Bachelor of Arts
2 - USYD - Bachelor of Science
3 - UNSW
4 - WSU
5 - JMP

VTAC
1 - Monash (CSP)
2 - Monash (ERP)
3 - Monash (BMP)
4 - Melbourne (chancellor's scholar)

QTAC