Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

After the first part of the Griffith Dent Degree.....

HelloWorld

Faux-American
Since Griffith dent is split into two degrees, and you come out with a bachelor degree after 3 years.......

Could you sit GAMSAT in your second or third year of Griffith Dent and then apply for postgrad med (at Griffith and Elsewhere) during your third year?

Has anyone done that before, or is considering it?

Raro

On a similar note, if you gained provisional entry in a postgraduate course such as at UQ, would you be able to complete the course and then apply for other postgraduate medicine courses (such as Melbourne), having sat GAMSAT?

HelloWorld

Faux-American
On a similar note, if you gained provisional entry in a postgraduate course such as at UQ, would you be able to complete the course and then apply for other postgraduate medicine courses (such as Melbourne), having sat GAMSAT?

Not for the former MBBS degree, but for the current MD, I think so.

Raro

Not for the former MBBS degree, but for the current MD, I think so.

Really? That seems quite odd, unless MBBS is undergrad only, so wouldn't be put as a postgrad degree to begin with?
But Melbourne's a MD so that's cool. Thanks!

HelloWorld

Faux-American
Really? That seems quite odd, unless MBBS is undergrad only, so wouldn't be put as a postgrad degree to begin with?

Well, UQ's old MBBS degree was a bachelor. Combined with a Barts or Bsci, it would be six years. Some prereqs were forgiven for the combined degree. Both degrees were awarded at the same ceremony (at the end of six years).

For UQ's Current MD, 3 year Science Degree (with UQ stealing an extra year of tuition fees) -> graduation -> UQ MD -> graduation

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
I dont see why not really.

elle3

Lurker
Hi,

I was wondering after the first 3 years, is it guaranteed that everyone who passed i.e GPA 4 or higher will continue into the Grad Diploma? Or is there a minimum GPA required? do they select those with high GPAs first until spots are full?

Thank you!

Time

Hey, its guaranteed entrance into the grad diploma as long as you pass 3rd year, ie with a minimum gpa of 4.

Time

@Time Can I ask what the passing rate for 3rd year is like? is it nearly 100%?

Well last year around 5 people failed and is repeating with our year. I suspect it could increase as they've changed the curriculum quite alot and even added in a final end of year OSCE exam to cover all content and units learnt - just like the one 5th years take.. :/

arg

@I2009 [MENTION=21274]Time[/MENTION]
Thanks. I guess if they fail the second time, they won't be able to take the post-grad course at all?

ccsaus

hi, did anyone confirm that students are allowed to sit GAMSAT in second or third year of Griffith Dent, then apply for postgrad med (at Griffith and Elsewhere)
Anyone knows?

A1

Rookie Doc
hi, did anyone confirm that students are allowed to sit GAMSAT in second or third year of Griffith Dent, then apply for postgrad med (at Griffith and Elsewhere)

As Muse wrote above don't see why not.
The Bach Oral Health itself is a standalone course, as long as GU graduates you with that degree at the 3-yr mark it meets the postgrad MD's requirements.

ccsaus

As Muse wrote above don't see why not.
The Bach Oral Health itself is a standalone course, as long as GU graduates you with that degree at the 3-yr mark it meets the postgrad MD's requirements.
Thanks a lot!!!

zerg21

Basically the first 3 years of the GU degree is equivalent to an oral health degree? Is that correct? From what I've read on their page and on here it seems like that.....but I want to be sure.
Technically, if that's true, students could just do the 3 years and then opt not to do the last 2 years?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Basically the first 3 years of the GU degree is equivalent to an oral health degree? Is that correct? From what I've read on their page and on here it seems like that.....but I want to be sure.
Technically, if that's true, students could just do the 3 years and then opt not to do the last 2 years?

Yes, this is possible to do, but usually not the intention of the majority who do this degree.

dkae

They change the name for this reason, you can not register as a OH or OHT after the Bachelors. You have to continue otherwise useless degree. It is now B. Dental Health science + Masters. It is also fairly hard to get in i would imagine normally people are in it for dentistry. CQU offer a B.OH though OP 11.

Tomato

Nobody will drop after 3 years of BDentHealSci even the last 2 years of MDent are full fee.