Alternative ('Other') Category Chat/Enquiries

Discussion in 'Alternative Category' started by mrboh, May 5, 2009.

1. TBar

TBar New Member

So happy for you! All the best.

2. Clav

Clav Otago MB ChB III

Former Med Lab Scientist
    we should do a meet up sometime ^_^

3. frootloop

frootloop D-D-D-Doctor Moderator

Congrats everyone!

I know it may sound fairly obvious (and even flirting with condescension), but to those with a reasonably extensive set of prereq papers to sit beforehand: make sure you put the work in. The HSFY papers may not be that academically complicated, but they do go along at a reasonable pace, particularly if you haven't done any science in the last couple of years.

I only say this because of the sad story of a supergrad I knew in my HSFY class who didn't quite meet the standard they set him, and therefore wasn't in my med 2 class. He's probably in a tiny minority, but it's worth going too hard and getting way better marks than you need than falling slightly short and losing your place.

Lennoxcat likes this.
  4. kinda-okay Grad

kinda-okay Grad New Member

In 2015, 10/17 of the people doing supergrad prescribed entry health sci papers did not progress to ELM2!

5. adventuretime

adventuretime New Member

The four supergrads that I know doing prescribed papers this year are doing well- even getting FYHS grades

6. Clav

Clav Otago MB ChB III

Former Med Lab Scientist
    Is there a source for this? That seems a bit crazy

7. kinda-okay Grad

kinda-okay Grad New Member

Grad, K.O. Supergrad Outcomes 2015. Reflections on Memory. 2018; 1(1):1-2.

Lennoxcat and Clav like this.
  8. Clav

Clav Otago MB ChB III

Former Med Lab Scientist
    haha, I see.

9. Stuart

Stuart Administrator Administrar

Hi,

I guess it depends on how many papers they need to do. Some people do all seven papers which is a lot of work, full-time as well.

10. Vikram

Vikram New Member

Hi, I am interested in applying for the alternate category for dentistry at Otago. I have an overseas dental degree both bachelors and masters. I have heard that the alternate category is very competitive and can be used only once in a lifetime. Is this true? I plan to take UCAT as well. As my grades on my overseas dental degree aren’t very great (around 50 to 60%) would this affect my chances of being called for an interview? If so, would it be better to do HSFY first? Anyone been or in a similar situation?

11. Stuart

Hi Vikram,

Welcome to MSO.

Where (or which institution) did you obtain you qualification(s) from? Are you a NZ resident/citizen?

I assume you have considered the different pathways to gaining a registration to practice in NZ, but you do not qualify for any of them. It will depend on your study, but I doubt you will be able to enroll for HSFY because it is primarily aimed at people without (or minimal) education at a university level. They are generally strict with the enrollment, so you are unlikely to be allowed considering your academic background. I am not sure how much your previous academic performance will affect your chance of getting an interview offer. I would higher recommend contacting the admissions to confirm and you should also check your eligibility for HSFY.

Vikram likes this.
  12. Vikram

Vikram New Member

Hi Stuart, I am a permanent resident here in NZ. My dental degrees are from the TN Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai, India.

Thanks Stuart, I will contact admissions and see what they reply..

-formatted by a moderator-

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  13. Daydream

Daydream New Member

I tried to look up the answer in the forums but can't find it! What is the minimum grade for each paper for postgrd students being offered conditional entry to part II? E.g.a student who has to take some or all HSFY papers in order to proceed to the second year? Any difference between Otago & Auckland?

14. Stuart

Hi Daydream,

I believe it's 70% (B) for HSFY papers. Clav should be able to confirm this.

15. Clav

Clav Otago MB ChB III

Former Med Lab Scientist
    B average with no marks less than a C

Daydream likes this.
  16. sandsunsurf

sandsunsurf New Member

Hi everyone,

Im a long time lurker, am quite keen on pursuing a career in medicine!

I was looking at applying through the alternative category as I have already completed my bachelor of nursing 3 years ago (through one of the polytechs - so cannot apply grad category without doing another degree) plus a PG Cert in aeromedical retrieval (likely to complete the diploma next year). I already completed HSFY 2 years ago and unfortunately, that year didn't quite go to plan - grades were reasonable but really struggled with UMAT.

For a bit of background:
    I am currently working as a Nurse with just under 18 months acute care experience in the operating theatres and semi-recently finished the new grad nursing programme (a year of intensive education and mentorship similar to the PGY1 year for new house officers). I have my primary specialty under my belt being orthopaedics, but I do see a bit of everything else (general, obstetrics, plastics etc). I am already involved with budding new staff in my specialty, lots of teaching and making up orientation packages to help new staff build their knowledge.

Over the years I have done lots of volunteering as a gymnastics coach and through cadets. Spent lots of weeknights and weekends teaching and mentoring young people. We did lots of community service activities and also took part in a lot of recreation as well such as flying, sports and inter-unit competitions. Spent a lot of my holidays as a student and latterly instructing on regional and national courses (leadership and flying).

I know it wouldn't be worthwhile submitting an application just yet with my level of experience, although I am wondering what I could do to help with my application in the meantime?

Loggz likes this.