Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO: Alternative ('Other') Category Chat/Enquiries

mrboh

Just wondering if there are any other lurkers who applied to Otago for an 'Other' position recently. I finished my science degree in Australia back in 2003, my GPA wasn't great but it did improve towards the end so if they give more weight to later-year subjects then I might stand a chance for an interview. I've also been doing volunteer work for the past 8-9 years now so hopefully that will count in my favour.

mrboh

I just read the first post of McNerdy's blog and the parallels are uncanny .. I too started a PhD after my undergraduate (although in my case it didn't work out), and I also only found out about the 'Other' category deadline about 3 days before the due date and had to frantically put an application together. Maybe it's a sign! ;)

McNerdy

I just read the first post of McNerdy's blog and the parallels are uncanny .. I too started a PhD after my undergraduate (although in my case it didn't work out), and I also only found out about the 'Other' category deadline about 3 days before the due date and had to frantically put an application together. Maybe it's a sign! ;)

Hi. Yeah the 1st May application date throws people a bit, they always expect it to be later.

You stand a very good chance of getting in I'd imagine. Although someone was saying recently the 'other' category was the most competitive category last year given the experience, grades and the what of the applicants. You've applied now, so all I can do is wish you a cool head and a calm mind for your interview and congratulations for taking the plunge!

mrboh

Hi. Yeah the 1st May application date throws people a bit, they always expect it to be later.

You stand a very good chance of getting in I'd imagine. Although someone was saying recently the 'other' category was the most competitive category last year given the experience, grades and the what of the applicants. You've applied now, so all I can do is wish you a cool head and a calm mind for your interview and congratulations for taking the plunge!

Thanks :) I think just getting an interview will be about 90% of the battle given that I imagine there are quite a few internationals with flawless GPAs competing for spots. But I guess we'll see what happens in about six weeks' time.

mrboh

McNerdy, I just wanted to pick your brain again (if you're around). Do you remember how long it was after the application deadline that you received your interview e-mail? The site says interviews are about 6 weeks after the deadline, so I'm guessing they take about a month or so to decide .. I've been having problems with an overactive e-mail spam filter recently and I have these horrendous visions of ringing them up in a few weeks' time and being told that I never replied to their e-mail ;) Plus I have to organise flights and accommodation and everything if they do want to interview me.

McNerdy

Unfortunately I was using my Auckland university email at the time and that account is no longer available to me since I don't work for them any more (funnily enough). This means I can't check the email time stamps to give you a good answer.

I think I had about one month or maybe more to book my flights but Martha did call me to ask if I could change my interview day to make room for someone coming from overseas about 4 days after I was originally emailed. Although my interviews were a little later than originally planned because of trouble getting all the panelists together.

I'd say you can either email Martha and ask her and she might be able to give you a rough idea or go the 'surprise' way and wait and see when you get an email :p

I heard recently over 200 people applied last year for the 20 spots available. I'm not sure if there are 20 other's in the class though. I can count about 12 by name :unsure:

mrboh

I'm guessing this is Martha Dewey you're referring to? She's listed as away on parental leave according to the Otago web site. I might just give the admissions office a call tomorrow to allay my fears.

20 spots for 200 people sounds pretty nasty though, I better keep both sets of fingers and toes crossed

mrboh

Just got an e-mail today from Otago declining my application, they said the 'Other' category was oversubscribed by about a factor of six this year. Oh well, time to start studying for GAMSAT :)

McNerdy

Just got an e-mail today from Otago declining my application, they said the 'Other' category was oversubscribed by about a factor of six this year. Oh well, time to start studying for GAMSAT :)

Never mind, just get into your GAMSAT study and look for an Aussie med course that'll suit. My friend at ANU quite likes the teaching there I think. But it is in Canberra...

rosie

Lurker
Hey guys, any idea the ratio of applicants invited to interview:number of spots available for those in the 'other' category?

Cheers, would be good to know the odds of getting in....

I'd suggest that you take this with a grain of salt because this is my impression rather than something that I've seen documented...

This is also specific to the University of Otago.

One is notified of the outcome of the application / interview process well in advance of applicants to other categories. Applying under the 'Other Graduate' category can only be done once (if you don't get a place then you are never going to study Medicine at the University of Otago - unless they change their admissions procedure in the future). These considerations (and my lack of finding further information) lead me to believe that this category is 'discretionary' with respect to applicants being assessed on their merits rather than there being a fixed number of places that are offered under this criteria.

Students who haven't done pre-med have their places in second year deferred for one year and they are required to obtain a specified GPA for the pre-med year before they can take up their place in second year. I have no idea how many people actually do obtain places under this category in a given year (or how many of them have done premed vs how many of them have their place deferred). I have no idea how many who are given deferred places meet the requirements and go on to take up their place. I have had a look online but haven't managed to obtain these stats.

There are 4 full days and one afternoon of interviews this year. Interviews are 40 minutes and you may be called back in to answer additional questions arising. This leads me to believe that they wouldn't do more than 1 per hour. I guess this gives a rough guide to the number of interviews that have been offered. But even if we assume an interview is necessary (though not sufficient) for a place it is still unclear how many of the interviewed applicants get places (ie whether it is about screening out the loonies or still highly competitive at this point).

No idea :-(

Thanks very much for that.

I'm surprised the OP got an ethics question since they didn't specify that they would be asking about that.

Any idea where would be good for me to look to read up on 'current health issues in NZ'? (I'm in Aussie and haven't been following NZ news). Herald, I guess... But perhaps there is something that is better?

The health document seems a bit old now. Is it still important because of the restructuring of the system into DHB's that occurred then?

I'm very concerned about 'what would you split additional money between and why?' type questions :-/

Is there a budget document somewhere (a justification for the latest health spending allocation)?

I will have a look myself... But no point reinventing the wheel if someone does have this info to hand.

Thanks.

clia9576

Lurker
gl for the interview toby,

even if u do get in nothing is guaranteed so u have a long hard road ahead.

Question: Where is the interview?

don't tell me u have to fly to NZ for a 40 min interview then fly back

> even if u do get in nothing is guaranteed so u have a long hard road ahead.

Thanks. I answered your question about the interview on your thread.

rosie

Lurker
thanks toby, sound reasoning there. glad to hear there is someone else in aus making the trip. good luck for your interview.