Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

AMC Review: Proposed Changes to Internship from 2023

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
Does this mean you will only be able to start BPT as a PGY3? And is this for some states only or country-wide?

I’m not 100% on top of the details yet, but my interpretation of what I’ve read so far is that yes, you’d be starting/have started PGY3 before you could start training, and yes, it looks like it will be a national standardisation of a 2 year internship.

I’m not 100% on top of the details yet, but my interpretation of what I’ve read so far is that yes, you’d be starting/have started PGY3 before you could start training, and yes, it looks like it will be a national standardisation of a 2 year internship.
Thanks for your reply! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as a result of this, would there not be a shortage of BPT1 doctors in 2024 if 2023 interns are continuing as interns the following year?

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
Thanks for your reply! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as a result of this, would there not be a shortage of BPT1 doctors in 2024 if 2023 interns are continuing as interns the following year?

I’d imagine there’s more than enough backlog to keep BPT chugging along for 12 months, but I honestly feel utterly unqualified to comment with any degree of authority having learned of this situation just yesterday, so hopefully someone else can weigh in!

I’d imagine there’s more than enough backlog to keep BPT chugging along for 12 months, but I honestly feel utterly unqualified to comment with any degree of authority having learned of this situation just yesterday, so hopefully someone else can weigh in!
haha thank you!!

chinaski

BPT1 as currently completed at PGY2 resident medical officer level is really not that different to the role of an intern. They are just more experienced, but not fulfilling a particularly different job (as opposed to the difference between an intern/resident and registrar role). We have no shortage of resident-type doctors (arguably the opposite, in fact).