Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

anyone got into Griffith Dent in 2015 or 2014 with GPA lower than 7.0?

Mana

Registrar
Administrator
Would you know what atar my ungraded degree translates to? I've tried calling and asking but the lady had trouble working it out. I've seen people on this forum saying their 1st class honours translated to a 7/7 gpa. Im hoping they do the same for my masters
That's rather difficult to say, to be honest. Having done an ungraded degree in the past my experience is that different universities will give it different merit.

just to clarify, is this "second GU discriminator" an ATAR or WAM then, if GPA is used for the first rank? cos I saw someone on the forum not get an offer even though they got a GPA of 7 :/

Mana

Registrar
Administrator
just to clarify, is this "second GU discriminator" an ATAR or WAM then, if GPA is used for the first rank? cos I saw someone on the forum not get an offer even though they got a GPA of 7 :/
This is a good question, though not one that we'd be able to answer with any certainty; it's probably a rather closely guarded secret at Griffith what this is. I'd be inclined to think that it could be related to WAM or its equivalent as a GPA of 7 corresponds to a rather wide range of WAMs.

Sella

As far as I know, GPA is the first discriminator used to select an applicant. If, for example, they're stuck between two applicants with the same GPA, the next factor they'll take into consideration is your ATAR/OP, this is what I've been told by QTAC. It was recommended to include as much information as possible about your previous experience and education when I was applying this cycle.

Also, I've never heard of anyone not getting in with a GPA 7, since I got in this cycle with a GPA of 6.71. It could be possible that this individual didn't satisfy the prerequisites.

Dr.Potato

Adelaide MBBS II
Applicants' applying with tertiary study require a GPA greater than 6.5 out of 7 after having completed at least one year (including completed Degrees) of full-time study (or equivalent) and satisfy the subject prerequisite.

----
Hey, just wondering, I finished high school last year and I am in first year University now, would i be able to transfer into the Dentistry course at Griffith after 1 year of University? Provided i meet the GPA cutoffs. Cause i read on the Griffith University site (Bachelor of Dental Health Science (1577)) it says "Griffith students may not apply for the Bachelor of Dental Health Science program by submitting an internal transfer."
And on their page about internal transfers (Internal transfer) it says
"You would not be eligible to apply via internal transfer if you are applying:

• For an Honours program. There is a specific application and assessment process for Honours programs.
  • For Bachelor of Laws Graduate Entry, Bachelor of Dental Health Science, or Bachelor of Medical Science and Bachelor of Physiotherapy. You can apply for these programs via the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC).
  • Through QTAC or UAC."

Sella

Hey Dr Potato,
You're eligible to apply for bachelor of dental health science via QTAC. There's no internal transfer allowed since the internal transfer process is entirely different with a different application. So yes, once you finish your first year, you can apply at Griffith dentistry through QTAC like any other degree.

Hope that helps

Dr.Potato

Adelaide MBBS II
Hey Dr Potato,
You're eligible to apply for bachelor of dental health science via QTAC. There's no internal transfer allowed since the internal transfer process is entirely different with a different application. So yes, once you finish your first year, you can apply at Griffith dentistry through QTAC like any other degree.

Hope that helps
Thanks! sorry I panicked when i was confused about non standard entries and internal transfers haha

EIMC

Lurker
Actually, the cut off has always been around the 6.7 mark. When i got accepted (2013) it was 6.75 for first round.
2014 was ~6.6 and 2015 was about 6.7 again.
They've reduced the number of people in the cohort for 2017 intake so i will imagine it will be at least 6.7!

Best of luck :)
I'm looking to apply this year but my GPA is only 6.63 :( Do you think I have any chance (maybe even for 2nd or 3rd round offers)? I sent an email to GU admissions but have no received a response.

DrLeo

Hello EIMC,

Not sure what the cutoff will be this year as I've heard the numbers are going to be less but I know of a late offer with 6.75 in the 2016 cohort.

Hello everyone! I'm currently residing in NZ but come from Australia and am thinking of moving back to study.

Just wondering what the difference is between Griffith's current bachelor of oral health and the new bachelor of dental science is? Is it just a name change?

DrLeo: "Not sure what the cutoff will be this year as I've heard the numbers are going to be less but I know of a late offer with 6.75 in the 2016 cohort."

Would you happen to know how much the numbers would have been reduced by? It looks like from this thread 6.71 was the cut-off last year. I've got a 6.75 and I am hoping that I'll get an offer. Many thanks :)

DrLeo

Hello Sea Sponge,

I'm not sure about the numbers of domestic positions available for next year as they were reduced to 80 positions a couple of years ago but I've heard this will come down. I'm not sure what last years numbers were.

In regards to your GPA of 6.75....is this for only 1 year of study or completed degree? From what I've been told with only 1 year of study the GPA required is much higher - in the 6.8-6.9 region as generally first year subjects aren't as challenging so 2 years+ I think you can get away with a slightly lower GPA. Best to check with the uni as they will know the finer details.

The difference between BOH (DSc) and B Dent HSc is minimal. Only a minor change in the course but basically the same course that leads into the Master of Dentistry now (Changed from Grad dip Dent). All part of the refining process to get the program as good as possible and makes it easier to get into PhDs as you've already completed research during the masters component!

Hope this helps ☺

Hello everyone! I'm currently residing in NZ but come from Australia and am thinking of moving back to study.

Just wondering what the difference is between Griffith's current bachelor of oral health and the new bachelor of dental science is? Is it just a name change?

DrLeo: "Not sure what the cutoff will be this year as I've heard the numbers are going to be less but I know of a late offer with 6.75 in the 2016 cohort."

Would you happen to know how much the numbers would have been reduced by? It looks like from this thread 6.71 was the cut-off last year. I've got a 6.75 and I am hoping that I'll get an offer. Many thanks :)
Hey Sea Sponge,
The cut off wasn’t 6.71 last year, it was slightly higher. I got in with a cumulative gpa of 6.71 with a finished degree but I’ve heard that they look at the last year of study more than the overall gpa. My gpa for the last year was 6.875 which could be the reason why i got an offer last year. Hope that helps

gcandidate2013: "The cut off wasn’t 6.71 last year, it was slightly higher."

That's the same GPA that Sevda had on the offers forum, are you Sevda by any chance? or maybe 2 people got in with that GPA.

I called up QTAC today and they told me that although my rank was a 99 there's a secondary determinator which can't be disclosed that is used for further discretionary ranking. I'm not sure if it's just a plain GPA cut-off that they use, it might be something more complex? Could they possibly use a secondary rank from an applicants ATAR/other tertiary studies?

She also mentioned that there probably won't be more offers after the initial offer round.

A1

Admissions Speculator
I called up QTAC today and they told me that although my rank was a 99 there's a secondary determinator which can't be disclosed that is used for further discretionary ranking. I'm not sure if it's just a plain GPA cut-off that they use, it might be something more complex?
I don't think it's something more complex. There aren't enough places for all OP1/Rank 99 so they delineate further with the ATAR equivalent of the OP1/Rank 99, or the ATAR equivalent of your GPA in your case.

Page 5 of this doc > https://www.griffith.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/1021647/Griffith-undergraduate-degrees-medicine-dentistry-health-2018-domestic.pdf

Cutoffs 2017: OP 1^ / Rank 99^ / ATAR 99.65
^ = Selection within the rank or additional ranks were used in the selection process.