Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

anyone got into Griffith Dent in 2015 or 2014 with GPA lower than 7.0?

Hi
I was wonder if anyone got into Griffith Dent with GPA lower than 7.

Is there a chance of getting in with GPA of 6.7?
Thank you!!!

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Not many dentists on this board, but I can't imagine that the Griffith Dentistry course would have a cutoff higher than 6.7 for entry.

Anecdotally, when the course was new, there were school leavers accepted into Griffith Dentistry with an ATAR of 87.

Not many dentists on this board, but I can't imagine that the Griffith Dentistry course would have a cutoff higher than 6.7 for entry.

Anecdotally, when the course was new, there were school leavers accepted into Griffith Dentistry with an ATAR of 87.
Thank you!!!!!!

Time

Thank you!!!!!!

Actually, the cut off has always been around the 6.7 mark. When i got accepted (2013) it was 6.75 for first round.
2014 was ~6.6 and 2015 was about 6.7 again.
They've reduced the number of people in the cohort for 2017 intake so i will imagine it will be at least 6.7!

Best of luck :)

dsmalik

Hi,

Have a look at the past threads for Griffith entry. It is possible to get in with a GPA below 7.0. However be warned that the GPA will still be highly competitive. I would say that a GPA of above 6.75 is 'safe' as Time said for a first round offer. But given that CSU has introduced UMAT, this may put pressure on GPA this year.

Regards,

DSM

Hi,

Have a look at the past threads for Griffith entry. It is possible to get in with a GPA below 7.0. However be warned that the GPA will still be highly competitive. I would say that a GPA of above 6.75 is 'safe' as Time said for a first round offer. But given that CSU has introduced UMAT, this may put pressure on GPA this year.

Regards,

DSM

Hi DSM,
I'm at UNSW and they use WAM. Currently I have a WAM of 87.25. Is that above the 6.75 GPA you're referring too?

Last edited:
Coming back from the dead here haha. (Ahh those memories of anxiously ploughing through forums :confused:)Haven't been on this website since getting into Griffith dent.

Anyway. The answer to your initial question is YES. In fact, most non standards in my cohort got a GPA in between 6.5-7 rather than an absolute 7. So i'd say 6.7-7 should be a safe bet. 7 is guaranteed.

(A little known fact: If you have a rural background, the GPA requirement is lower, evidenced by a friend who got a GPA of in between 6-6.5. )

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask me!

Good luck! :)

Hi DSM,
I'm at UNSW and they use WAM. Currently I have a WAM of 87.25. Is that above the 6.75 GPA you're referring too?
I think you can calculate your GPA yourself. UNSW uses HD/D/C/P as its grades for its courses yes?

Well a HD = 7, D=6, C=5, P=4.

Add these above marks up, and divide by the number of subjects you did (which i think should be 8), and voila; you have your GPA.
:)

Yo guys, sorry if this is a weird question to ask but this is for the oral health in dental science (Griffith) right?? I have a GPA of 7/7 but I only meet the pre requisite for English by already doing a year o uni at Adelaide. I have an Atar of 99.45, but am super confused as the site only says entry is by Year 12 subject, ATAR and OP rank?#help #lastresortfordent

So I got this email from the admissions peeps- I left the names out for anonymity ;) hope this helps some peeps wanting to do dent @ Griffith! :)

--------
Thank you for your interest in Griffith's Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science and Graduate Diploma of Dentistry, the Griffith pathway to becoming a Dentist with the Dental Board of Australia.

Admission requirements

Please note that only Griffith Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science graduates may progress into the Graduate Diploma of Dentistry.

The Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science program is a highly competitive program with limited domestic places and has over 250 applicants applying with an ATAR 99+ / Rank 99 / OP 1+ each year. Griffith University gives applicants a first order rank that is based on their most competitive qualification, regardless of the order undertaken and completed. Griffith then discriminates between all applicants ranked 99 by applying the GU discriminator to their first order rank which then gives them a second order rank. Applicants are then ranked in order of merit and the cut-off (above 99) will be determined by the number of offers needed to be made to meet the quota.

Admission requirements are:

ATAR 99+ / Rank 99+ and subject prerequisite English (4SA) or equivalent.

*In 2016 the minimum ATAR for entry was 99.50.

If your ATAR (RAW score, no bonuses) is not competitive the alternative is to undertake Tertiary Study to obtain a Rank. The minimum Rank required is 99+

Applicants' applying with tertiary study require a GPA greater than 6.5 out of 7 after having completed at least one year (including completed Degrees) of full-time study (or equivalent) and satisfy the subject prerequisite.

* The above score and ranks are from 2016 admissions round

Griffith University Rural Priority Access Scheme

From 2017, a proportion of the Griffith University dental science intake will be required to be from a rural background RA2-5. Therefore, applicants who meet these criteria will be given priority access to Griffith University Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science. The minimum Rank still applies.

How to apply

Domestic applicants should apply for admission through the Queensland Tertiary Admission Centre (QTAC) which opened on 2 August 2016 for 2017 intake. You must apply by 8 December 2016 to guarantee your application will be considered for this program's Main Offer Round on 16 January 2017. Applications received after 8 December may not be considered in time for this program.

I wish you all the best with your study plans,

----

Reactions: A1
" Griffith then discriminates between all applicants ranked 99 by applying the GU discriminator to their first order rank which then gives them a second order rank. "
Anyone know what this 'GU discriminator' is?

A1

Rookie Doc
" Griffith then discriminates between all applicants ranked 99 by applying the GU discriminator to their first order rank which then gives them a second order rank. "
Anyone know what this 'GU discriminator' is?

AFAIK for non-QLD students it's simply their ATAR. For QLD students it's an ATAR-equiv number provided by QCAA to further define their rank within OP1. For non-standards Mana found this post that says GPA 6.5 = 99+, if last year's cutoff was 99.50 I guess it converted to around 6.7

> Non-Standard applications | Med Students Online

My rank (99) was determined by my completed research Masters degree. This is an ungraded degree. So what would my second order rank be? Determined from my undergrad gpa? If they do use my undergrad gpa, I definitely won't make it in with my 6.1 gpa.

Mana

Administrator
My rank (99) was determined by my completed research Masters degree. This is an ungraded degree. So what would my second order rank be? Determined from my undergrad gpa? If they do use my undergrad gpa, I definitely won't make it in with my 6.1 gpa.

The second order rank is determined from the first order rank, which is determined from your highest scoring degree. Thus, they will use the 99 to rank you for entry. If your ungraded degree translates to an ATAR equivalent of 99.00, then you will most likely miss out on a place at Griffith.

Mana

Administrator
is it safe to say that a gpa of 7/7 will most likely get a placed, even with an atar of 99.45 then ? :/

Yes, provided the conversion they use is one where 7.0 converts to a 99.95 ATAR.

The second order rank is determined from the first order rank, which is determined from your highest scoring degree. Thus, they will use the 99 to rank you for entry. If your ungraded degree translates to an ATAR equivalent of 99.00, then you will most likely miss out on a place at Griffith.
Would you know what atar my ungraded degree translates to? I've tried calling and asking but the lady had trouble working it out. I've seen people on this forum saying their 1st class honours translated to a 7/7 gpa. Im hoping they do the same for my masters