Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Applying to Australian universities

Congrats guys!
I also want to go into dent/med in the future at Australian universities..I thought it'll be a cool experience to have!
I have a few question to ask u guys if u guys don't mind. I'm in grade 12 high school right now and want to apply for dent/med in the 2013 cycle. Do you guys think I should apply as early as possible? when will the offers be made after u submit your files? will they give out early acceptance? (because I would get all my result for diploma in late July 2012..so..yeah..not sure how it works) For all the accepted ppl here, did u guys apply during ur university study or directly from high school like I'm planning to do? and mind to share your grades as such? Thanks so so much guys! :lol: Hope to see u guys in Aus next year!

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Apply around July/August when all the applications open for each university. You should have all your results by then! Look into the ISAT and PQA as a first step, as you need these tests to apply to most unis in Australia.

Apply around July/August when all the applications open for each university. You should have all your results by then! Look into the ISAT and PQA as a first step, as you need these tests to apply to most unis in Australia.
Thanks! I'm mainly aiming for JCU..for UQ, I've talked to Oztrekk and they told me you need at least a 98% or something..so I was like..WHOA..I can pull like a ~95% and that's pretty much my maximum..
I though applications open around Marh/April..okay then..if it's July/August, then that'll work the best for me. thanks for the great info!
PS: do you know around what time they'll give you offer or rejection letter? (How long do I have to wait?) Is there a rolling admission going on?
Thanks again miss universe~! BTW, I love J-Rock Also XDD

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
I could be wrong about the dates for applications opening. Regardless, you should be able to apply and get your results after your have applied and QTAC can get them.
Offer/rejection for the course or an interview? Usually theres a website you can follow your application on..not entirely sure what it is though.

[OFFTOPIC] J-rock! Woot [/OFFTOPIC]

I could be wrong about the dates for applications opening. Regardless, you should be able to apply and get your results after your have applied and QTAC can get them.
Offer/rejection for the course or an interview? Usually theres a website you can follow your application on..not entirely sure what it is though.
What's QTAC? mind to explain? (I think I'm gonna apply through the Oztrekk service..so..not sure if that still applies to me)
Oh, there's actually a website for tracking your application? that's pretty helpful. Hopefully someone who knows what it is can share it here.
Will JCU give you early acceptance? or do you have any idea how many round of acceptance they will be making? (since theres only like 5 spots avaliable..) Thanks again J-Rock Fan! XD

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
I am not entirely sure about the answers to your questions. Best if I left it to someone who can give you a definite answer. Good luck anyhow!

canuck

Hey dentdream, I also used Oztrekk to apply to JCU med this year. I submitted my documents in april, attended the interview in Vancouver in May and got the offer in mid July. They do give out offers early to people they interview in Canada (around June/July). All the other offers will come out in Oct - Nov time.

My advice is have decent grades (in the 90's), do good in the interview, and also have good honest responses to the application questions and you should be fine.

As far as UQ provisional med goes...I pretty sure you dont need to have a 98% average in high school...I think you need to be in the 98 percentile of your cohort.
Aussie HS system is a bit different than the Canadian....Ive never met anybody that had a 98% average in high school..ever. 90-95% is possible and if you have this you should be pretty good off.

Hope this helps.

Canuck

Thanks Canuck! you brough me hope!
I live in Calgary so I'm not so sure where the interview will hold at my place. Is there a website that I can use to find out?
Did you apply directly out of high school or did you have some university background already at the time you apply? Becaue I would be applying directly out of high school, then during April, I don't have all my grades out yet, so I was wondering if they would be able to give you early offer when not all of your grades are out.
Do you have any idea?
Thanks so much for the great advice, I'll be sure to do as you say. I don't really have much of interview experience..so this to me is quite scary..what type of things do they tend to ask you at that time? (if you are not suppose to tell me for security reason or such, then that's okay..I just want to better prepare myself when the time comes around for me!)
PS: very sorry to turn this thread into a question box..>_<
PPS: Thanks everyone! Love this forum, it's sooo helpful!

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
I might make this a separate thread to allow the original purpose to continue

Thanks miss universe for making my post into a new thread..lol..it's very rude of me to interupt accepted applicant's conversation..I kinda felt bad..XP

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Dont feel bad. We much enjoy moving posts into a new thread then merging all new threads into an existing one :)

lol..now I've just thought about something..I know I'm wayy too ahead of myself..but..hmm..I was wondering..what should we international kids do during the long weekends or summer..how difficult is't to find a partime job during those times? Gotta earn my tuition if I have the oppertunity to. XD

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
During the longer holidays, a lot of people go home. Some get jobs, but most don't I believe. Holidays are spent studying! and you might not get heaps of free time otherwise.

Syn

Actually, I'd disagree with Muse here, in regards to studying during holidays. Trust me, after a hectic year of med or dent, the last thing on your mind would be study. I know that I can't wait for this semester to end and summer holidays to rock up. The last thing on my mind will be study. I will definitely get a job as well. But we have about 3/3.5 months to kill, so I'm sure that in the last month or fortnight, I'll start getting back into the Uni mood and finally open a few books up and have a quick look through.

In terms of how difficult it is to get a job? Well, for the summer period, all the retail shops mass-employ new workers right before the christmas period, which is by far the most hectic time of year in terms of shopping. But i'm pretty sure you'll be wanting to head back home for a white christmas (jealous!!). For the other holidays (june/july), you'll get about a month of holidays, so you could go home I guess. If you don't, and still want a job, then getting one shouldn't be too much of a problem.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
You misunderstood my post, Im talking about international students, usually, they go home in the longer holidays. In the 2 week ones, theres little point getting a job, you wont keep it for long.

Last edited:

Terry Le

Thanks! I'm mainly aiming for JCU..for UQ, I've talked to Oztrekk and they told me you need at least a 98% or something..so I was like..WHOA..I can pull like a ~95% and that's pretty much my maximum

Hi there,

Based on JCU Int' Undergrad Prospectus, the academic entry requirement for Medicine and Surgery for Canadian Students is 85%. You can access to the brochure online @ http://www.bpointelligence.com/ebrochure/jcu/2012-UG-Prospectus/

However, the requirement for dental surgery is not listed there since 2012 is the first year they accept int' students into this program. I actually talked to a staff from JCU @ Oztrekk's Aus Uni Fair. She said the places for int' will be increased for 2013 intake (which means you will have more chances to get in). Anw, talk to Christine Chu @ Oztrekk, she takes care of dental school applications.

I have applied for 2012 entry and I am still waiting for my results. Hope that helps and best luck with grade 12 ;)

Thanks Terry! Could you tell me when will Oztrekk host another Australian University Fair? I'm kinda interested in going and learn something myself. Oh yeah, did you only apply to dentistry? How long have you been in University in Canada before applying to JCU dent?
Best of luck for you as well! Hope you can get in dent this year! =D

Terry Le

Hey,

Thank for your good wishes. I am currently in my second year at York University and I have applied for Dental Surgery Program (always wanna be a dentist lol)

Based on the email from Oztrekk, it seems like they only host uni fairs at some universities. That's why I had a chance to attend one at York. However, I have the email address of the staff at JCU that I talked to. Her name is Sandra Hurlock ([email protected]). Feel free to email her, she will provide you with accurate and updated information.

All the best!

Hi Terry,

So you only applied to dent program instead of dent and med..Hmm..I've always wanted to apply to both with dent as my first choice..but then..I've asked for some advice for other people in this forum and they advised me to apply only to one instead of two. So I wouldn't look bad. What's your suggestion on this one?
Thanks for the e-mail address, I'll be sure to contact her when I need some answers! Do you know what she is responsible for? like what type of question would she have an answer to?

Thanks again Terry! Hope to see you in 2013 in JCU! Hope both of us can be accpeted!

Hey,

Thank for your good wishes. I am currently in my second year at York University and I have applied for Dental Surgery Program (always wanna be a dentist lol)

Based on the email from Oztrekk, it seems like they only host uni fairs at some universities. That's why I had a chance to attend one at York. However, I have the email address of the staff at JCU that I talked to. Her name is Sandra Hurlock ([email protected]). Feel free to email her, she will provide you with accurate and updated information.

All the best!

Terry Le

Yea, applying for both will definitely increase your chance to get in. However, I don't think I will enjoy being a doctor so there's no point for me in applying to med. (I know I am weird). When applying to JCU, they will give you 2 choices of programs, so place dent as ur first choice and med as ur second.

And Sandra is a Faculty Student Officer (Postgrad and International) of Faculty of Medicine, Health and Molecular Sc @ JCU, she would be happy to answer any question related to int' application process to Med, dent and health programs.

Hope that helps and I wish you the best of luck.