[Undergrad] Apps and Other Study Resources

Discussion in 'Studying Medicine' started by jamesRPM, Feb 13, 2017.

1. jamesRPM

jamesRPM New Member

Train Driver
    Hi..

I'm just starting my undergrad and want to do everything in my power to stay ahead and do as well as I possibly can.. I start in three weeks but want to start preparing now.. My first unit is an introduction to the human body so anatomy and physiology based ones would be preferred, but if there's an 'all-in-one' option, I'd love to hear about it.. Are you able to recommend any programs or applications that I can use to get me started..? I was looking at KenHub and they seem to have some good reviews, but I wanted to speak to real med students to see what they use..

What's the best one in your opinon..?

Thank you in advance for any help, advice, or suggestions..

James

2. aura

aura New Member

I find that the Essential Anatomy app is really good for learning anatomy.

Cookie and Isiyara like this.
  3. MD

MD Emeritus MSO Staff Emeritus

Teach me anatomy website
    Moore's anatomy
    Grays anatomy for students
    Netters anatomy flash cards
    Medscape
    Those are the main ones I use for anatomy in first year :)
    And sherwood physiology
    I've used ken hub before but it doesn't seem as easy to use as teach me anatomy imo

kei, Sherlock, Isiyara and 1 other person like this.
  4. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    I’m really keen to put together a list of resources people have found useful during Med/Dent studies (or, alternatively, found to be a waste of time/money/effort). I know we already have a textbook thread, but in the age of apps, I know there are so many more things out there than just the old school textbook (though they also obviously still have their place).

MD has provided a list of Anatomy products above, but I’m wondering if anyone could add to this, and also elaborate on why they found certain things useful.

I’ve had Complete Anatomy for Mac and iPad and KenHub recommended to me recently.

Alternatively, if you think the usefulness of these types of resources is such an individual thing so as to make any recommendations null and void, please also feel free to say that!

Cookie likes this.
  5. hpfanfiction

hpfanfiction Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital Magical Moderator

Registrar
    I went to Med School years ago, but one excellent free online resource I used back then and is still around is:
    -http://www.lab.anhb.uwa.edu.au/mb140/
    (Histology)

I also recommend
    -the UpToDate phone app (I still use this more than any other single resource)
    -kidshealthwa.com

Addit/
    For anatomy , I used Netter’s (initially a free CD, but I later bought a hardback book) and Moore’s (others in my year preferred Gray’s because it was more user friendly , but I didn’t think it went into enough detail)

Here are some of my oldest posts (re: textbooks)

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Admin (JCU MBBS) Administrar

I've been working on this sort of thing for a while but haven't gotten to apps / online resources yet. Have a bit of time in the new year ... in the interim here are my thoughts on textbooks:

Textbooks & Resources in Medical School |

LMG! likes this.
  7. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    FYI anyone who is interested:

I've been looking at anatomy resources and was going to purchase the Netter's Anatomy Flashcards, but I did a bit of digging and the 5th edition of these flashcards look like they're due for release around March this year, so I'm going to hold off. I think the e-book version has been available since late last year, but the hard copy cards + e-book access will be out soonish. Given they're at the more reasonable end of $$ for med resources, I think I'm going to splash out on a non-second hand set.

Netter's Anatomy Flash Cards - 5th Edition

8. Kat92

Kat92 (Student BDemCare|BBeSt|BNurs) Hopeful for JMP

Volunteer St John Adv Responder/ Health Student.
    This is just a general list but some of the different Apps that I have been using include:

Epocrates
    Medscape
    MedShr-- although I have to re-confirm my email as the latest iphone update done something weird.
    iRadiology
    Netters Anatomy

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  9. Clav

Clav Otago MB ChB III

Former Med Lab Scientist

I also have all of Netters in anki flashcard format if anyone wants them. Just send me a PM.

10. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Hi All,

I'm a bit behind the trend, but apparently podcasts are a big thing these days. I'm wondering if anyone has any medicine/health care-related (studying or practicing) podcasts they can recommend? I don't have any particular topics in mind, but would be interested to hear what others are listening to and enjoying. A bit of an explanation as to why would be useful too (ie. it's informative, or adds to study, or is just really fascinating...)

Thank you!

ETA: not medicine related, but here are some to give you an idea what I'm talking about: The Best Podcasts of 2018

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    GreenGrapes likes this.
  11. GreenGrapes

GreenGrapes Guest

Podcasts seem a bit passive in my opinion - I personally think it could be more efficient to learn by talking about it with others - so you're more actively coming up with and justifying ideas?

12. Ruffle

Ruffle Admissions Helper Moderator

MSO's Official Personal Stylist
    Quizlet is really good (can even make quizlets with your friends and share the burden!)

GreenGrapes likes this.
  13. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Yeah, I do heaps of active study! Haha.

I don’t want to use podcasts to study, just wanting something a little more low key/entertaining, but still related, for bus rides. There are tons of whodunnit ones out there that are hugely popular, but figured there’d be some Med-related ones somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    GreenGrapes likes this.
  14. Logic

Logic Medical Student @ UNSW Silliest Member 2018

Someone in my grade recommended this on the year group, your post reminded me about it so I’ll be checking it out too! Seems very interesting, not sure how educational tho haha

Playing God | Radiolab | WNYC Studios

GreenGrapes and LMG! like this.
  15. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Thanks, Post. This is exactly the sort of recommendation I'm after. Thanks.

ETA: just read the intro, Post. I've read (and highly recommended in the books thread) the novel/biography by Sherri Fink (Five Days in Memorial). If this podcast is anything like it, it'll be excellent.

Logic likes this.
  16. Logic

Logic Medical Student @ UNSW Silliest Member 2018

Abou 15 minutes in and I can’t stop listening :O. Will definitely need to check out that book!

GreenGrapes likes this.
  17. GreenGrapes

GreenGrapes Guest

LMG! How about Dr Karl?

18. manyfrogs

manyfrogs UNSW MBBS

Another good podcast: Sawbones is a medical history podcast if that interests you! They've covered a bunch of topics including some really funny holiday specials (I cried laughing during their Home Alone episode).

LMG! likes this.