Atherosclerosis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nece, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Nece

Nece New Member

Future dietitian
    lately I've been wondering, is atherosclerosis considered a symptom or a disease itself? I looked it up on google and found that it's considered a condition, and a condition is anything that affects how we live or work, which sounds a lot like a symptom to me. Considering allergies, its symptoms are typically sneezing, a runny nose, etc. These are our bodies natural reactions to certain stimuli. But atherosclerosis is caused by actual harm done to the body over time, so it can't possible be considered a symptom right? Is atherosclerosis a disease that cause other diseases?

2. rustyedges

rustyedges Otago MB ChB Moderator

It's a disease that causes other disease. A symptom is something someone feels/notices and says they have. Noone can feel their atherosclerosis.

Logic likes this.
  3. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

You kind of answered your own question: it's a condition. Your understanding of what a "condition" is is what needs a little more thought.

4. pi

pi Junior doctor Emeritus

Junior doctor
    Me after Friday night pizza respectfully disagrees...

Nece, Ruffle, Crow and 2 others like this.
  5. Kiwiology

Kiwiology MSO Lawyer

It's most certainly a disease in-and-of-itself. You can feel or see the symptoms of it in some ways; for example if you have an angina attack or have some sort of vasculopathy and have cold purple hands when it's 300 degrees outside (provided you don't also have Raynard's disease or something).

pi can probably feel the angina when he tries to get off the couch after Friday night pizza.

Nece and Ruffle like this.
  6. frootloop

frootloop Otago Trainee Intern (MBChB VI) Moderator

I'd suggest that part of the problem is the temptation of the discontinuous mind to put everything in separate discrete boxes. Medicine is particularly insistent on discrete boxes, even for spectra.

Does whether atherosclerosis is a 'disease', 'condition' or whatever make any difference to how you manage it?

Nece likes this.