Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Auckland MBChB Class of 2021

Jane Doe

Hey all! 1stly congratulations to all that got an offer! Hard work paid off! I was thinking of using this thread to get to know some of the other students heading there for the 2017 intake. Perhaps we could form study groups and help each other along the way! Hoping to hear from the Auckland MbChB II 2017 meddies. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
Hey all! 1stly congratulations too all that got an offer! Hard work paid off! I was thinking of using this thread to get to know some of the other students heading there for the 2017 intake. Perhaps we could form study groups and help each other along the way! Hoping to hear from the Auckland MbChB II 2017 meddies. :)

Congrats to you too! I'm so excited for next year :D. It would be nice if we can get a few others on here, the old Auckland MBChB thread has been pretty dead for a while. I would be keen for study groups, sounds like next year will be pretty intense!

One note though - maybe it would be better for this thread to be under the Auckland section? I think the mods are planning some changes for the NZ section on MSO though, so it will likely be moved soon anyway.

Hanzo

PGY1
Hey! Im a physiology postgrad student from UoA who managed to get an offer for the 2017 intake :) Im assuming you are from otago? Its quite relaxed up in Grafton (med school campus) here and will definitely see you around!

Jane Doe

Congrats to you too! I'm so excited for next year :D. It would be nice if we can get a few others on here, the old Auckland MBChB thread has been pretty dead for a while. I would be keen for study groups, sounds like next year will be pretty intense!

One note though - maybe it would be better for this thread to be under the Auckland section? I think the mods are planning some changes for the NZ section on MSO though, so it will likely be moved soon anyway.

I'm from Singapore! I studied in Queensland Australia for my undergrad! Yea I think next year is gonna be tough! Should we create a facebook group for this if we manage to get more people on the thread?

Jane Doe

H
Hey! Im a physiology postgrad student from UoA who managed to get an offer for the 2017 intake :) Im assuming you are from otago? Its quite relaxed up in Grafton (med school campus) here and will definitely see you around!

Hey Hanzo! Nah I'm international! From Singapore! How's Auckland city like? Pretty excited to move there!

Hanzo

PGY1
H

Hey Hanzo! Nah I'm international! From Singapore! How's Auckland city like? Pretty excited to move there!

Oh nice! Auckland in my opinion, is quite diverse in terms of what it has to offer and there are many places to visit during your break/downtime from mbchb :) The medical campus especially nice after having been here for quite some time haha. Heres the entire facebook group for the class of 2021 需要安全验证

Jane Doe

Oh nice! Auckland in my opinion, is quite diverse in terms of what it has to offer and there are many places to visit during your break/downtime from mbchb :) The medical campus especially nice after having been here for quite some time haha. Heres the entire facebook group for the class of 2021 需要安全验证

Ah there's a group already! Cool thanks for the heads up! I've just requested to join the group! I have some textbooks on pdf if you guys are keen? I'll give you guys a heads up when i'm on campus!

Notathrowaway436

Auckland MbChB II
Cheers, and congrats to you too Jane Doe! Sucks that you'll be missing out on freshers, but I'm sure we'll see you around campus when classes start :)

On another note, does anyone know if we should keep the text books we bought for biomed last year? I'm trying to decide whether I should sell my A&P, Campbell Biology, chem and pophlth text books.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Cheers, and congrats to you too Jane Doe! Sucks that you'll be missing out on freshers, but I'm sure we'll see you around campus when classes start :)

On another note, does anyone know if we should keep the text books we bought for biomed last year? I'm trying to decide whether I should sell my A&P, Campbell Biology, chem and pophlth text books.

Hi,

If it's anything like Otago, you should probably get rid of them ASAP.

Goose

Auckland MBChB III
Howdy folks,

How'd everyone find O-week? I found it to be Overwhelming week, still getting my head around what's in store for us this year!!

blueeyes89

Auckland MBChB II
Hey! It was really exciting to finally start, before this week I didn't really feel like I was actually in med school, it didn't feel real, but now I am actually realising that, holy shit, I'm gonna be a doctor!! But yeah, it was definitely overwhelming. The amount of info-dumping on Monday and Tuesday was exhausting. I went home on Tuesday and slept for 14 hours straight, I was so tired. Probably mostly do to with the shock to the system I received waking up at 6AM to get to uni after several months of sleeping till 12 than with what we actually did, but still.

The labs on Friday were really cool, though! And I enjoyed the first MS lecture, even if it was probably a lot less information than we will be getting per lecture starting next week. I'm trying not to freak out about the amount of information we'll need to learn, I'm just going to take it one day at a time. Hopefully that will stop me procrastinating so much, I tend to procrastinate more when the task I'm facing seems insurmountably huge.

Goose

Auckland MBChB III
Wow 14 hours! That's incredible, I don't think i've ever slept that long but it would be nice to!

Yeah a lot of what felt like lecturing on how we are to now act as "professionals" probably fell on deaf ears, especially with O-week festivities looming...

I enjoyed the HAL lab as well, after getting over the initial shock of the situation. The microanatomy lab was as confusing as histology always has been to me. It seems like artistic interpretation as to determining what structure is what, even though I don't doubt our instructor knew exactly what he was looking at.

I bought tickets to all 3 events but not sure I'll go to them all. Being the first full week of content lectures I'm keen to keep on top of things.

blueeyes89

Auckland MBChB II
Oh yeah I know what you mean, given by what I saw on snapchat of the whole Canton episode, I think quite a few people slept through that lecture.

The histology lab was actually quite stressful, I'll admit, I've never been any good at histology, either, and a lot of the differences between layers seemed somewhat arbitrary. I spent so much time just trying to differentiate between the two dermal layers, and I don't feel I got quite enough time to look at the rest of the slides and actually find everything, either (which is really my own fault, I suppose, for not managing time better). I suppose I will be using v-slides a lot this semester to make up for what I miss in the labs. Nevertheless I thought it was really interesting.