Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Auckland MBChB Class of 2021

Jane Doe

Hey guys! :) Hope everyone is doing well for the 1st 2 weeks! We've got a long road to go! Lets do this!!! :D Everything has been pretty awesome so far in my opinion! Hope you guys are enjoying this as much as I am!

frootloop

House Surgeon
The microanatomy lab was as confusing as histology always has been to me. It seems like artistic interpretation as to determining what structure is what, even though I don't doubt our instructor knew exactly what he was looking at.
I've been doing this since 2011 and I still feel like I'm looking at some mondo bizzaro piece of artwork when it comes to histology slides. A lot of radiology is the same, although at least there you have landmarks to work with.

Don't worry, though. While they incessantly tell you that histology is super clinically relevant, being able to actually read a histology slide isn't really. So long as you understand why the pathologist would have seen X in condition Y and what that means, you don't really need to be able to see it yourself.

jbea

PGY2
I've been doing this since 2011 and I still feel like I'm looking at some mondo bizzaro piece of artwork when it comes to histology slides. A lot of radiology is the same, although at least there you have landmarks to work with.

Don't worry, though. While they incessantly tell you that histology is super clinically relevant, being able to actually read a histology slide isn't really. So long as you understand why the pathologist would have seen X in condition Y and what that means, you don't really need to be able to see it yourself.
Have to agree with that. I'm a second year house officer, and I don't think I've looked at a histology slide since MBChB III.

Goose

Auckland MBChB III
Should be soon? They're usually done July-August and you find out a few weeks after the survey closes
Thanks! We have an info lecture on it coming up in a couple weeks, was just hoping to find out a bit sooner.

Pump

Thanks! We have an info lecture on it coming up in a couple weeks, was just hoping to find out a bit sooner.
that's when they tell you the dates. The survey will probably open the following day or week after the lecture. Survey usually closes after 2 weeks and results another 2-3 weeks later (don't quote me on this!) and then swaps open for a month