Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Auckland MBChB Class of 2022

Aggie

I was just wondering- are the tests we have throughout the year graded, or are they just to give us an indication of where we are at? At Otago they have 100% exams at the end of the year so I always assumed Auckland was the same?

flooghost7255

BMedSci (Hons), Otago MBChB IV
I was just wondering- are the tests we have throughout the year graded, or are they just to give us an indication of where we are at? At Otago they have 100% exams at the end of the year so I always assumed Auckland was the same?
From what I hear from my friends in akl med, the tests and assignments are all grades but you don’t really have a full on final exam like Otago, just tests at the end of each module and assignments which contribute to a final grade

I’m not 100% sure on this tho so someone correct me if I’m wrong, but at the very least your tests and assignments do contribute to your grade :)

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
Can confirm! We had various assignments throughout the year, some of which are pass/fail or distinction/pass/fail. We also have end-of-module tests which are given letter grades, and progress tests which are marked as unsatisfactory, borderline, satisfactory or excellent. Each assignment/test contributes a certain percentage to the overall grade at the end of the year. Throughout the year you have an predicted GPA which shows you how you are going.

They are pretty generous with rounding up your grade at the end too (which I was very grateful for!).

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
The modules have a lot more content, and are a lot harder to get good marks in compared to first year papers. However, it no longer matters if you don't get A+/A grades in everything, so it generally feels a bit more relaxed. A lot of the other graded parts of the year are pretty easy too, which tends to be a bit of a boost for the final grade. If you want to maintain an A/A+ average it could be pretty stressful, but most people stop worrying about it too much and focus on enjoying the year.

cat849

Hi all! I’m an Otago grad making the move to Auckland this year
I was wondering what all your thoughts were on the “academic preparation” PDF that was emailed to us.. I haven’t done some of these papers since 2014; do I need to be stressed about going over this material?
Also, can anyone compare health sci papers at Otago with the course in auckland? So nervous!!!

Hi cat849,

First, can I add my congratulations to you for getting into Medicine.

I'm also doing Medicine at Auckland and received the same 'academic preparation' letter.

In my opinion, you do not need to do much study during this summer break.

You have the background because you did those papers in 2014. Once classes start you will be reminded of what you have learnt.

If there is anything you don't understand during the classes, you can always go back to look at the notes for first year papers. From my experience, I didn't need to refer to my first year notes at all.

Therefore, I think it is not worth fully studying the first year papers over this summer break.

Enjoy the break :)

Aggie

does anyone know when our timetable is supposed to be finalized with lab streams etc?

By the sounds of it we will be put into our streams/lab groups once uni starts, though I stand to be corrected! Bummer because I would love to know now

Pump

But we still haven't been allocated streams yet have we? any idea how they'll notify us about that?

They'll probably email/Canvas-notify you saying that the allocations have been made. They'll upload a PDF file with everyone's names and a stream+group number, either stream A or B and groups 1 - 15.