Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Auckland MBChB class of 2024

UoA MBChB IV
Also, don't mean to double post but how is everyone feeling about the self-isolation and everything going on atm, I think I'm feeling kind of stressed myself :\ If anyone wants to have a chat plz don't hesitate to DM me :)
Right now I’m alright but I’ll get bored real fast so watch out for the DM 😉

UoA MBChB IV
I wonder how the FY/ final year grad students are feeling? They must be pretty stressed and also uncertain about wats gonna happen? Like will ucat even happen this yr?

hopefully everything runs smooth for them and they take in med entries this yr normally like every yr

I wonder how the FY/ final year grad students are feeling? They must be pretty stressed and also uncertain about wats gonna happen? Like will ucat even happen this yr?

hopefully everything runs smooth for them and they take in med entries this yr normally like every yr

Yup - I imagine the FYs will be very on edge; since they won't be doing labs (or they'll do "online labs", now sure how that will work) that might mean that more weight will be put on the final exam :/

ProfessorPond

Yahallo!
Also, don't mean to double post but how is everyone feeling about the self-isolation and everything going on atm, I think I'm feeling kind of stressed myself :\ If anyone wants to have a chat plz don't hesitate to DM me :)
Honestly kind of eh. I really was looking forward to the free week to get all the ducks in a row. Catch up on lectures and start memorising clinical scenarios and stuff. Now we're having to catch up again, not to mention all the people who have to relocate who are gonna fall even more behind.

Same btw. Might be easier to add on fb unless you want to preserve anonymity.

Honestly kind of eh. I really was looking forward to the free week to get all the ducks in a row. Catch up on lectures and start memorising clinical scenarios and stuff. Now we're having to catch up again, not to mention all the people who have to relocate who are gonna fall even more behind.

Same btw. Might be easier to add on fb unless you want to preserve anonymity.
I don't mind whatever is easier!

Also, good to know that lectures won't be uploaded this week so we do get time to catch up!

Pump

final year grad students are feeling

I'm a final-year student and yep it's bloody stressful
some of us are placed in rural centres for our six-week GP attachment and the next cycle starts on Monday 30th. We got send an email on Tuesday 24th morning that we are to get to our rural centres before Wednesday midnight to avoid lockdown. This means packing up our life and going to a rural centre where we might not have support? + sorting out emergency accommodation. Motel owners have rejected a lot of us as we are deemed high risk and so we can't even find proper acco (despite the MPD telling us "no tourists, so motels will be available!!")

All our electives were cancelled. Some of us were only on Day 1 of our elective in ANOTHER COUNTRY before we were emailed to immediately come back. Obviously, this is now seen as a good idea as we would otherwise have been trapped if we were not recalled. At the time though - incredibly stressful, ++ uncertainty and very poor communication from the uni.

Furthermore - we are still to go into hospital. We were sent letters last night that we are supposed to show anyone that stops us on the street. It's a letter from Andy Wearn that says that we are "essential workers in the COVID-19 reponse" ... which is scary. Some of us are immunocompromised, many have elderly / sick / immunocompromised family and we are scared of bringing it home. I know "this" (as in medicine) is what we signed up for, but trying to protect ourselves and our families from an invisible agent is bloody scary.

The MPD has also told us that we are forbidden from seeing any confirmed, probable or suspected COVID patients to protect us as students. However, there are so many ways in which we are NOT protected. My friend went in to see a patient on ED and at the end of the consult, the patient mentioned they recently had URTI symptoms. Hospital staff aren't really on board with this either. Another friend was just told to "stand at the back of the room" for a patient with URTI symptoms. It's this shit that the MPD can't protect us from.

there's also a LOT of talk from one doctor's association (the RDA) about how TIs might be drafted into the workforce before the graduation. As far a I know, the University is NOT allowing this at all, but the RDA is sharing around potential contracts they will be negotiating with the DHB. The prospect of joining the workforce before completing the important final year (where you prepare to join the workforce) is terrifying.

UoA MBChB IV
some of us are placed in rural centres for our six-week GP attachment and the next cycle starts on Monday 30th. We got send an email on Tuesday 24th morning that we are to get to our rural centres before Wednesday midnight to avoid lockdown. This means packing up our life and going to a rural centre where we might not have support? + sorting out emergency accommodation. Motel owners have rejected a lot of us as we are deemed high risk and so we can't even find proper acco (despite the MPD telling us "no tourists, so motels will be available!!")

All our electives were cancelled. Some of us were only on Day 1 of our elective in ANOTHER COUNTRY before we were emailed to immediately come back. Obviously, this is now seen as a good idea as we would otherwise have been trapped if we were not recalled. At the time though - incredibly stressful, ++ uncertainty and very poor communication from the uni.

Furthermore - we are still to go into hospital. We were sent letters last night that we are supposed to show anyone that stops us on the street. It's a letter from Andy Wearn that says that we are "essential workers in the COVID-19 reponse" ... which is scary. Some of us are immunocompromised, many have elderly / sick / immunocompromised family and we are scared of bringing it home. I know "this" (as in medicine) is what we signed up for, but trying to protect ourselves and our families from an invisible agent is bloody scary.

The MPD has also told us that we are forbidden from seeing any confirmed, probable or suspected COVID patients to protect us as students. However, there are so many ways in which we are NOT protected. My friend went in to see a patient on ED and at the end of the consult, the patient mentioned they recently had URTI symptoms. Hospital staff aren't really on board with this either. Another friend was just told to "stand at the back of the room" for a patient with URTI symptoms. It's this shit that the MPD can't protect us from.

there's also a LOT of talk from one doctor's association (the RDA) about how TIs might be drafted into the workforce before the graduation. As far a I know, the University is NOT allowing this at all, but the RDA is sharing around potential contracts they will be negotiating with the DHB. The prospect of joining the workforce before completing the important final year (where you prepare to join the workforce) is terrifying.
Oh shiet, that sounds pretty stressful!. Iam sorry to hear that. Do you get paid for working at this kind of time or is it considered part of your education?

Pump

Oh shiet, that sounds pretty stressful!. Iam sorry to hear that. Do you get paid for working at this kind of time or is it considered part of your education?

So that's a bit of a gray area
As TIs, you get a fornightly stipend from the government anyways ... it's a VERY nice sum of tax-free money. At the moment, the work we do in the hospital is counted as part of our education as we are still TIs.

However if we were to step up to the role of a new house officer (PGY1), there are discussions in the RDA contract that suggest we would be paid either $40 or $60 an hour, working 8hr shifts Mon-Fri (+free lunches as per usual with junior doctors). Which sounds pretty sweet tbh but then there's the discussion of if we still keep our TI stipend and how future job prospects work as well

But as i understand it the University is very against sending us into the workforce as accelerated graduates

014phalo

A family member of mine is a TI as well. Cancelled elective suck as it is... Best of luck, and stay safe!

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
So that's a bit of a gray area
As TIs, you get a fornightly stipend from the government anyways ... it's a VERY nice sum of tax-free money. At the moment, the work we do in the hospital is counted as part of our education as we are still TIs.

However if we were to step up to the role of a new house officer (PGY1), there are discussions in the RDA contract that suggest we would be paid either $40 or $60 an hour, working 8hr shifts Mon-Fri (+free lunches as per usual with junior doctors). Which sounds pretty sweet tbh but then there's the discussion of if we still keep our TI stipend and how future job prospects work as well

But as i understand it the University is very against sending us into the workforce as accelerated graduates

I'm sorry to hear about your situation - it's a pretty rough spot to be in. My understanding is that final years were accelerated in Italy and the UK because they were due to graduate within ~2 months anyway (I believe they graduate early June), so for the most part there wasn't any major learning to be done. For us, we still have a better part of the year to go making it difficult to justify because you'd miss out on ~6 months of clinical placement.
In any situation stay safe, wishing you the best of luck.

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
How do you guys think we'll get assessed, now that we don't have in-person tests/exams?

I didn't study at Auckland but the general impression seems to be a switch to online-based tests with some form of online invigilation.

ProfessorPond

Yahallo!
The big question is how is this going to affect the first year biomedders. This is going to definitely lead to some shady behaviour when med is on the line and you're doing your assessments at home.

UoA MBChB IV
Guys stats for last years entry into med are out

The median and the lower quartile for successful gpa’S is the same lol

Guys stats for last years entry into med are out

The median and the lower quartile for successful gpa’S is the same lol
wait im a bit confused when it says general seats being 120 or 130, are the rest all from scheme? Because a total of 29 grads and 101 FY's sounds really low? sorry nvm just read this it says unfilled spaces from schemes are also given to general entry