Auckland Med Interview Experience

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by seodabe, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seodabe

seodabe New Member

Dear All

I just wanted to write a report on how my interview went down. Hopefully some future Auckland med applicants will find my report useful. I was interviewed by an emeritus professor and an occupational therapist. The occupational therapist was the moderator of the interview and the emeritus professor was the observant. The emeritus professor was a professor of medicine and pathology with impeccable record! They got straight down to business with me.

Since I have been was offered a job (pending funding) at arguably the best uni in the world (Oxford uni) under the supervision of a so-call “godfather” of an emerging area in chemistry (which I mentioned in the essay form), the interviewers were shocked that I was considering turning down this opportunity to study medicine. So they asked me why? Hence, I told them my reasons for wanting to study medicine. So please be prepared to state your reasons for wanting to study medicine and how it differs from what you’ve done before. They also asked about the kind of research I had done in the past. Please keep your answer simple if you’ve done some research work. Please don’t try too much to impress the interviewers with crazy scientific terms! You probably can’t impress an emeritus professor anyways!!haha.

Since I am an immigrant, they asked me questions about issues facing immigrant health in NZ!!!! They also asked me questions on issues facing teenage health. I grew up as an orphan in the slums of Africa so they were interested in knowing how I have inspired myself to success. Please don’t be arrogant about your success or story, but be willing to share them and inspire others. I was also educated in a missionary school, so they asked me how that influenced my life. So please be prepared to answers personal questions especially if you’ve given personal answers in your essay. They asked me an indirect question about racism- I responded by quoting a sentence (i.e; “I don’t judge people by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character”) from the famous “I have a dream speech” by the great Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

The more we chatted on, the more passionate I became and the interviewers felt the passion!!! For me, my passion was displayed with a combination of laugher and dejection which was a true representation of my character and personality. So please be yourself!!! The emeritus professor was touched my passion and interest in people. So he quickly interrupted the interview to make an irrelevant but inspiring comment!!!! He told me to apply for a rotary peace scholarship!!! Rotary peace scholarships are mostly meant for people wanting to change the world for the good of mankind. I was shocked when he said that because my initial impression was that maybe he thinks medicine is not what I should be going into. But he further elaborated on his comment by saying that I could do that as part of medicine. A relieve!haha. I said thank you sir! So the interview continued….

The moderator asked me what I do for fun. I told him I like to engage in things that involve giving back to the community especially the poor. I also stated that I enjoy politics!!!hahaha. Well, politics is not fun for some people but fun for me!!!haha. So the emeritus professor said he knew one of African’s top politicians and he asked me if I knew him personally. I said sorry sir I don’t. If I did, I probably would not have grown up in the slums of Africa (did not say this sentence to him but my body language gave this signal I thought)!!!haha. We all laughed!!!hahaha. The moderator asked if I still play soccer (I mentioned in the essay form that I played soccer for my uni back while I was doing my first degree in the USA). I answered that I injured my patella so I’m not currently playing but I hope to start playing again. He asked about the Wellington Phoenix. I answered enthusiastically that I am so happy that the Phoenix have a new management in place because they had issues with their previous managements. But the way, I am a soccer lunatic! Love that game with my life!haha. I’m a fan of Chelsea FC and Didier Drogba is my man! I call myself the short Drogba!hahaha. The moderator asked further about what I like to do. I said I go to jazz every week to enjoy a glass of wine with my friends. I said my friends are my family! Yes, I love my friends :). That was an emotional moment for me and the interviewers read it through my body language I suppose. I also said I like to engage in any activity that makes me laugh and smile!!!haha. I tell you, I love my laughing and smiling!!!haha.

The moderator asked me how I came to New Zealand. I said I came here to do my PhD because I was offered a scholarship by a leading academic on an interesting topic. I further commented about my love for NZ! I love NZ so much I tell you!!! So the emeritus professor asked me what advise can I give NZ as a country!!!haha. I smiled and asked if can I give two rather one?!hahaha. He said yes! My first advice was general- I said I want NZ to kick out poverty. Yes, there is poverty in NZ and we should all campaign to fight poverty!

My second advice was medically related- I said healthcare should be number one on the government’s list because accessibility to good health should be an automatic right for all individual! The occupational therapist then commented that the problem with my second advise by saying that NZ’s GDP cannot support a robust healthcare system such as the one I proposed. Then he further commented by saying that maybe I could find alternative ways to achieve such a robust healthcare system when I become the health minister!!hahaha.. I was flattered and laughed!!!hahaha.

We ran out of time so they stopped the interview. The emeritus professor quickly asked me if I have any question for them. I said I would like to thank them both for the opportunity and we shook hands firmly like men!!!hahaha. Then I stepped out of the interview room.

One or two second year med students were waiting for me outside as they wanted to know while we were laughing so much during my interview. To be honest, I don’t know why we were laughing so hard! All I know is that I like to laugh and smile so I suppose that was contagious to the interviewers!!!hahaha. The second year med students think I must have done well to get the interviewers laughing. The second year med student asked me how I think I did. I said I was not sure because I don’t believe in complacency. But I rated this interview as the second best interview of my life.

All in all, be yourself and be sure you want to study medicine for the right reasons! Commiseration to those who did not get in.. Please don’t give up on the dream- keep working hard and keep your head up!

To all those who have contributed to MSO, please continue to do so. I have benefited vastly from your contributions and I would like to say thank you to all members who have contributed particularly Nealie!!!

PS: I am trying to start a small study group for our med class/facebook page. Inbox me if you are keen. Merry Christmas and Happy New years to everyone. Jah bless and one love!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
    7staroperetta likes this.
  2. Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas New Member

Wow! Sounds like you had a great interview :) I just wanted to say thanks for sharing as no one else has yet and I think hearing success stories helps a lot!

I think something I really got from this was the importance of the level of emotion you convey opposed to trying to be professional/formal and ending up sounding overly analytical / less passionate.

3. Tupac4life

Tupac4life Regular Member

I don't want to be nosey or hurtful I'm just curious [MENTION=13872]Nasty Nas[/MENTION] were you interviewed last year?

4. Satmo

Satmo New Member

5. bobby190

bobby190 Regular Member

I wouldnt go by trying to sound/be emotional, it could just end up sounding like hollow fluff. Unless you have an amazing story like seodabe I would recommend just saying whatever you feel and be honest and maybe not overthink. Not to mention its highly subjective depending on the interviewers.
    I think prepping for it by doing research on current events and weaving that in will make you look like you care. I did.

6. Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas New Member

Hey Tupac4life, nope I wasn't interviewed.

Yup I agree bobby190 you wouldn't want to try yor best to sound emotional! I just mentioned that as it's also not good to be on the other end of the spectrum, and be very analytical without showing any emotion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.