Australia to NZ Q&A 2019

Discussion in 'NZ General Discussion' started by Melaniiee, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Melaniiee

Melaniiee New Member

Hi - I'm from Aus and graduating grade 12 this year. My ATAR currently is a 99.3, but my UMAT was only a 85, and didn't make the 50 50 50 cut off. Seeing as I'm very limited in my chances here - I thought I'd apply for NZ health science. Do you think its worth a shot? I'm worried about the enormous competition there :/

This might be the wrong forum - could someone direct me to where they think I'm supposed to be ahaha.

2. Stuart

Stuart Administrator Administrar

Hi everyone,

Welcome to MSO.

This thread is for discussing options/pathways to study in NZ for applicants from Australia.

3. Stuart

Hi there,

Welcome to MSO.

The pathways in NZ is quite different in comparison to Australia. Which programmes are you interested in?

If you are interested in the major professionals programmes, you will be looking at one of the first-year courses offered at Auckland or Otago. It is relatively easy to get into these courses and you will be competing for seats at second-year level. Academic performance counts the most, and UMAT (UCAT) performance is not as important as in Australia.

You will need to think a lot about non-academic issues if you want to move to NZ. These include logistics, finance and the fact that you will be moving overseas.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

4. Melaniiee

Melaniiee New Member

Thank you for your reply!

I wanted to do medicine - I'm scavenging all the options here in Australia - but rn, I'm worried I won't make it due to the specific UMAT requirements. Its either I trial in NZ or I take a gap year and reapply here in Australia.

Can I apply to the Health Science as a gap year student?

I don't mind moving if it means I have a shot at medicine! But I'm worried it'll be a financial failure if I don't make it in the second year.

5. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    These are not your only options.

You can also start a degree here in Australia and use your GPA and/or your ATAR to apply as a non-standard applicant to any of the non-standard undergrad universities (UNSW, JMP, JCU, and WSU - and Curtin if you do your undergrad there).

And if this is unsuccessful, you can sit GAMSAT and apply via GEMSAS.

Both of which I'd advise over gap yearing* or moving to NZ, to be honest.

* This can occasionally be an okay option depending on the state you're from and the ATAR you received (and what you intend to do with your gap year).

6. Stuart

Hi there,

I agree with LMG!. I don't think you should consider NZ schools unless you have exhausted your options in Australia or have some specific motivations to come and study in NZ. It's much easier to just study in home country in many ways.

Good luck!