Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Aus Students Studying in NZ

Melaniiee

Lurker
Hi - I'm from Aus and graduating grade 12 this year. My ATAR currently is a 99.3, but my UMAT was only a 85, and didn't make the 50 50 50 cut off. Seeing as I'm very limited in my chances here - I thought I'd apply for NZ health science. Do you think its worth a shot? I'm worried about the enormous competition there :/

This might be the wrong forum - could someone direct me to where they think I'm supposed to be ahaha.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi everyone,

Welcome to MSO.

This thread is for discussing options/pathways to study in NZ for applicants from Australia.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi - I'm from Aus and graduating grade 12 this year. My ATAR currently is a 99.3, but my UMAT was only a 85, and didn't make the 50 50 50 cut off. Seeing as I'm very limited in my chances here - I thought I'd apply for NZ health science. Do you think its worth a shot? I'm worried about the enormous competition there :/

This might be the wrong forum - could someone direct me to where they think I'm supposed to be ahaha.

Hi there,

Welcome to MSO.

The pathways in NZ is quite different in comparison to Australia. Which programmes are you interested in?

If you are interested in the major professionals programmes, you will be looking at one of the first-year courses offered at Auckland or Otago. It is relatively easy to get into these courses and you will be competing for seats at second-year level. Academic performance counts the most, and UMAT (UCAT) performance is not as important as in Australia.

You will need to think a lot about non-academic issues if you want to move to NZ. These include logistics, finance and the fact that you will be moving overseas.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

Melaniiee

Lurker
Hi there,

Welcome to MSO.

The pathways in NZ is quite different in comparison to Australia. Which programmes are you interested in?

If you are interested in the major professionals programmes, you will be looking at one of the first-year courses offered at Auckland or Otago. It is relatively easy to get into these courses and you will be competing for seats at second-year level. Academic performance counts the most, and UMAT (UCAT) performance is not as important as in Australia.

You will need to think a lot about non-academic issues if you want to move to NZ. These include logistics, finance and the fact that you will be moving overseas.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

Thank you for your reply!

I wanted to do medicine - I'm scavenging all the options here in Australia - but rn, I'm worried I won't make it due to the specific UMAT requirements. Its either I trial in NZ or I take a gap year and reapply here in Australia.

Can I apply to the Health Science as a gap year student?

I don't mind moving if it means I have a shot at medicine! But I'm worried it'll be a financial failure if I don't make it in the second year.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Its either I trial in NZ or I take a gap year and reapply here in Australia.

These are not your only options.

You can also start a degree here in Australia and use your GPA and/or your ATAR to apply as a non-standard applicant to any of the non-standard undergrad universities (UNSW, JMP, JCU, and WSU - and Curtin if you do your undergrad there).

And if this is unsuccessful, you can sit GAMSAT and apply via GEMSAS.

Both of which I'd advise over gap yearing* or moving to NZ, to be honest.

* This can occasionally be an okay option depending on the state you're from and the ATAR you received (and what you intend to do with your gap year).

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi there,

I agree with LMG!. I don't think you should consider NZ schools unless you have exhausted your options in Australia or have some specific motivations to come and study in NZ. It's much easier to just study in home country in many ways.

Good luck!

Dnama

Hi All,
I wanted to know what if I am eligible to apply to NZ medicine universities as an Australian citizen with a bachelors degree from Australia? Do I need to sit the UCAT or GAMSAT for NZ? I had a look at the school websites (Otago and Auckland) but I am still confused. Also I heard NZ medical graduates can gain registration in Australia without any tests etc. is that right? Would really appreciate any info!
Thank you

A1

Rookie Doc
I can help answer the second part. A NZ med degree is as good as an Aus one for Board registration. If you want to get an internship in Aus you would be in the priority category of Aus graduates from an interstate school.

NW1205

Hi All,
I wanted to know what if I am eligible to apply to NZ medicine universities as an Australian citizen with a bachelors degree from Australia? Do I need to sit the UCAT or GAMSAT for NZ? I had a look at the school websites (Otago and Auckland) but I am still confused. Also I heard NZ medical graduates can gain registration in Australia without any tests etc. is that right? Would really appreciate any info!
Thank you

Hi, I am in the same boat as you. And am rather confused by the information online. I was wondering if you ever found out if you were eligible to apply or not.

Thanks

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, I am in the same boat as you. And am rather confused by the information online. I was wondering if you ever found out if you were eligible to apply or not.

Thanks

I am 99.99% sure that neither of the two NZ unis use GAMSAT, they both use UCAT only.

As for Aus degree eligibility, yeah, there seems to be some confusion about that so best to contact them directly, providing info on your circumstances, and get a direct response.

ETA: actually, I just looked at both websites and it seems pretty clear to me so I’m not sure where the confusion is coming from.

Uni of Otago. You can can be eligible for the ‘other’ category, but not graduate entry (though I’d imagine it would be difficult for a non-NZ resident to be competitive for ‘other’, someone correct me if I’m wrong): Study Medicine at Otago, Division of Health Sciences, University of Otago, New Zealand

Uni of Auckland. Not eligible. Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery - The University of Auckland

Last edited:
Hi there,

Has anyone here studied med in New Zealand as an Australian student? What sort of costs and entry requirements would I be looking at?

Cheers! :)

Fudd

Hi everyone, my daughter has dual citizenship (Aus and NZ) and is in final year of school. She wants to study medicine, but she wants to know if it is at all possible to begin a degree in Otago, but then move back to Australia (preferably UQ, JCU ) to finish? Thanks for any advice. Cheers

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi everyone, my daughter has dual citizenship (Aus and NZ) and is in final year of school. She wants to study medicine, but she wants to know if it is at all possible to begin a degree in Otago, but then move back to Australia (preferably UQ, JCU ) to finish? Thanks for any advice. Cheers
If you mean Otago medicine, once your daughter starts that it's practically impossible to transfer to an Australian med school to finish.

She can move back to Australia then apply to JCU, JMP, UNSW, WSU as a non-standard (non school leaver) using her Otago studies for the GPA criteria. If successful she'll start from first year med. UQ does not accept non-standard applicants, only school leavers, or graduates for graduate-entry medicine.

Fudd

If you mean Otago medicine, once your daughter starts that it's practically impossible to transfer to an Australian med school to finish.

She can move back to Australia then apply to JCU, JMP, UNSW, WSU as a non-standard (non school leaver) using her Otago studies for the GPA criteria. If successful she'll start from first year med. UQ does not accept non-standard applicants, only school leavers, or graduates for graduate-entry medicine.
thank you for this info. I guess that in a scenario that she did not get in as a school leaver in Australia and if decided to go to NZ and was accepted into the HSFY at Otago and then decided to come home after than one year, it will essentially be a year of work that will not contribute in anyway to an undergrad degree that she would need to do in Australia to the apply for graduate entry medicine. Unless there are some subjects in the HSFY that she would get prior learning for? Don't know if that is even possible. Thanks for all your help..

A1

Rookie Doc
thank you for this info. I guess that in a scenario that she did not get in as a school leaver in Australia and if decided to go to NZ and was accepted into the HSFY at Otago and then decided to come home after than one year, it will essentially be a year of work that will not contribute in anyway to an undergrad degree that she would need to do in Australia to the apply for graduate entry medicine. Unless there are some subjects in the HSFY that she would get prior learning for? Don't know if that is even possible. Thanks for all your help..
After the HSFY year she can apply non-standard to the mentioned med schools. You might want to call around to check first, some unis that are "eager" for students may allow your daughter to transfer into 2nd year of a not-so-competitive degree, if the aim is to complete it for graduate-entry med.

Yakyak01

I can help answer the second part. A NZ med degree is as good as an Aus one for Board registration. If you want to get an internship in Aus you would be in the priority category of Aus graduates from an interstate school.
Hi! Can you go straight back to Australia after finishing the MB CHB? Or do you need to do 2 years working as a doctor in NZ?

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi! Can you go straight back to Australia after finishing the MB CHB? Or do you need to do 2 years working as a doctor in NZ?
AMC recognises NZ med degrees as accredited, the intern application process in every Aus state considers NZ graduates equivalent to Aus interstate graduates (thus the corresponding allocation priority of that category). So you can:

1. Apply during final MB CHB year for an internship in every Aus state, 95% chances you will get one somewhere although it may not be a desirable location (this is because you're lower priority than the local graduates who have first dips, and in Vic/WA you are even lower than int'l-student graduates of Vic/WA). If successful you can go straight back.

2. Work 2 years in NZ then apply for a PGY3 RMO job in Australia. Good luck.