Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Australian Medical Graduates in the UK

Hey there,

For anyone who knows (probably UK med graduates): what is the process for IMGs wanting to move to the UK to work as a doctor?

I'm an Australian medical graduate, and I'm wondering how job offers and placement would work if I wanted to move to the UK. I know the PLAB has to be done, but after successful completion, and applying to the GMC, how does one land a job and is there any heed paid to preference?

Lets say I finish internship in Aus first, and then complete the PLAB: where and how would I be posted in the UK? I'd love to work in a place like Newcastle, Bristol or Liverpool for instance...

Any help would be epic! Thanks in advance

P.S. I also want to become an orthopaedic surgeon. Would this factor into the equation, and how if so?

Last edited by a moderator:
Google is a really useful tool here:

Hey Chanski, thanks for your reply.

I appreciate the link for the IMG information, thanks for sharing. I've given google a bash, and I've actually skimmed through the above links before but there was nothing specific (nor in any of the links) about how/where applicants will be placed throughout the country if accepted. I'm wondering what geographical areas/trusts tend to be vacant for IMGs after recruitment of domestic graduates into the Foundation Program. As snotty as I'm sure I sound, while I get that popular spots are reserved for UK grads, I don't wanna just land a job at all costs, anywhere in the country.

In this vein, I was wondering what it's like for UK trainee doctors to move around the country, after PGY1? In Aus (at least in Vic), intern placements are dictated by their uni scores, but residents (HMO2/HMO3) seem to have more choice in where they want to work. This would be important for specialty training spots I imagine.

Any help would be epic!

Cheers

chinaski

I don't know, sorry (am not a UK doctor). I am not aware of any national survey which shows the "areas of shortage" WRT applicants. I've seen similar lists that show applicant-to-place ratios according to specialty, but not location. I suspect, given that employment with the NHS takes place through individual trusts, there may not be a centralised system that collates nation-wide employment patterns. If you are not a British or EU citizen, you should have a look at your actual rights to go over to practice under the current immigration rules, as I believe that might influence your eligibility to apply for certain positions in any case.

I don't know, sorry (am not a UK doctor). I am not aware of any national survey which shows the "areas of shortage" WRT applicants. I've seen similar lists that show applicant-to-place ratios according to specialty, but not location. I suspect, given that employment with the NHS takes place through individual trusts, there may not be a centralised system that collates nation-wide employment patterns. If you are not a British or EU citizen, you should have a look at your actual rights to go over to practice under the current immigration rules, as I believe that might influence your eligibility to apply for certain positions in any case.

Oh OK, I'll try and find specialty training posts and how popular/available they are. I've heard ortho is arguably more competitive over there, with the sheer number of applicants. Makes it real hard deciding whether moving is the best thing I could do, or the worst haha. Thanks for the info anyways, appreciated.

chinaski

The competition ratios are here:

I would suggest again familiarising yourself with the flowchart on Page 24 of the pdf I linked to earlier - your ability to be considered for a job and to remain in the UK system will be contingent on this if you don't hold relevant citizenship.

missyallie

Hey Chanski, thanks for your reply.

I appreciate the link for the IMG information, thanks for sharing. I've given google a bash, and I've actually skimmed through the above links before but there was nothing specific (nor in any of the links) about how/where applicants will be placed throughout the country if accepted. I'm wondering what geographical areas/trusts tend to be vacant for IMGs after recruitment of domestic graduates into the Foundation Program. As snotty as I'm sure I sound, while I get that popular spots are reserved for UK grads, I don't wanna just land a job at all costs, anywhere in the country.

In this vein, I was wondering what it's like for UK trainee doctors to move around the country, after PGY1? In Aus (at least in Vic), intern placements are dictated by their uni scores, but residents (HMO2/HMO3) seem to have more choice in where they want to work. This would be important for specialty training spots I imagine.

Any help would be epic!

Cheers
CT/ST training after FY years are competitive and applied online with opportunity to showcase portfolio, experiences, publications etc. Depending on where u are offered a job, you could be anywhere in England, even Scotland, wales, etc.

I'm not sure how international graduates are prioritised compared to local UK grads. For UK grades, they are sorted according to EPM score which is a combination of medical school performance, Situational Judgement Test and publications and bachelors intercalation. For your FY years, you may be anywhere in UK. However, after completing UK, I would believe you have an equal chance to compete for any UK jobs elsewhere..

Just curious, what's pulling you to come to the UK; when everyone else is moving away to Aust, NZ, USA, etc hahaha :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nb

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
The competition ratios are here:

I would suggest again familiarising yourself with the flowchart on Page 24 of the pdf I linked to earlier - your ability to be considered for a job and to remain in the UK system will be contingent on this if you don't hold relevant citizenship.
Interesting to see how Psychiatry competition ratio outstrips even anesthesia over there, but it's the other way round over here. Any reason for why that is?

Just curious, what's pulling you to come to the UK; when everyone else is moving away to Aust, NZ, USA, etc hahaha :)
Hey missyallie, thanks for the information re FY placement. I figured it would be something similar to here. Our international students are 'lower priority' than domestic students, so it doesn't surprise me that I'd have less choice for internship if I were to come over.

To answer your second question, I dunno haha. I kinda just love the UK, everything about it and I have a load of friends up there. We do have a hilarious number of UK doctors working in our hospitals, I see them everywhere. I've always found it odd though that essentially the main underlying reason, for the incredulity I'm met with in wanting to move there, is money. I get we earn way more, from FY1 to consultancy. But you only need so much to live. Though people also argue that working conditions are just poorer, with UK doctors working more ours with less support.

hf07

Lurker
Hi guys,

I am currently in final year at an australian uni. Will be graduating this november. I need to apply for a GMC online account to allow me to book for PLAB1 by the 24th september. However, it keeps asking my to put in end date of my degree which isnt until 20th november 2020. Is there a way around this to allow me to complete this registration so I can book and PLAB ontime. Or do you people not usually apply for FY training until after internship starts in Aus?

Many thanks!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi guys,

I am currently in final year at an australian uni. Will be graduating this november. I need to apply for a GMC online account to allow me to book for PLAB1 by the 24th september. However, it keeps asking my to put in end date of my degree which isnt until 20th november 2020. Is there a way around this to allow me to complete this registration so I can book and PLAB ontime. Or do you people not usually apply for FY training until after internship starts in Aus?

Many thanks!

i just had a look at a guide for PLAB1 (as it’s honestly something I know(/knew!) zero about), but I see it talks about needing a completed degree to sit the exam (obviously), but yeah, maybe it’s possible this default extends to making a GMC account, too (though that isn’t explicitly mentioned in the article). Can you contact them directly?

ETA: On more reading, it does seem like maybe you need a completed degree to even open an account: How to book PLAB 1 and open a GMC Online Account | Road to UK

Last edited: