Awards and Scholarships

Discussion in 'Studying Medicine' started by VeronicaHoran, Jul 7, 2018.

1. VeronicaHoran

VeronicaHoran Regular Member

Hey guys:) I'm just wondering if anyone knows/has a list of medical related scholarships or awards or prizes that undergraduate med students can apply for, and not ones that are through the uni, but just other things you can apply for Australia-wide?
    Thanks so much!

2. Chrismm

Chrismm New Member

I only know a few from the AMA website:
    Some private companies may offer their own scholarships so you just have to look around for them.

VeronicaHoran likes this.
  3. pi

pi Junior doctor Administrar

Junior doctor
    Not sure if you'd strictly call this a scholarship, but a popular one with lots of spots is the John Flynn Placement Program: Home

4. VeronicaHoran

Thanks! I have tried searching for some online, but haven't found much so far. Do you have any ideas about where specifically to look?

5. pi

Junior doctor
    For example, and I'm not associated with this in any way whatsoever, but MedShop has in the past given out small scholarships: Student Scholarship Medical Supply News | Medshop Australia

There are many similar private companies that offer a bit of cash, from memory Elsevier does something similar.

6. VeronicaHoran

Thanks! Also, I'm not sure if this clear, but I'm more after academic sort of scholarships or awards that I can put on my CV. I cant find any that I could apply for :(

7. pi

Junior doctor
    Most of those will be through your university, and the bulk of those are given out when you enter the degree. Many universities offer awards, based upon academic merit after each year and/or at the end of the degree. These awards all come with a handy cheque and something nice to add onto the CV.

8. Chrismm

Chrismm New Member

I’ve found Rotary, Medshop and ACRRM (but first two are closed at the moment). The majority of private scholarships I’ve seen are for rural placements (if this is what you’re looking for). Like Pi said, most academic scholarships will be through your university.

9. OptimistPrime

OptimistPrime What is a custom title?

Hey everyone :)

My preferences list is roughly this:
    1. Monash
    2. Adel
    3. Utas (Offer)
    4. UNE (Offer)

I've applied for scholarships in Victoria (my home state) and Monash gave me very large scholarships for merit and equity (illness, rural and financial), and also submitted a late UTas scholarship application so I could only apply for a $1k moving away from home scholarship.

If I don't get in to Monash, is there any way I can try and contact preferences 2-4 and explain that I was too busy with study (and application paperwork) during year 12 but I'd hope to now get a scholarship? Is there any way I can pull this off after the cut-off date by talking to the right person who's in a position to apply a bit of discretion or anything?

Thanks

10. Crow

Crow Moderator (Griffith MD) Most Active 2018

I don't like your chances of this unfortunately - the cutoff dates are there for a reason. I don't believe being too busy with study (something that all scholarship applicants have to manage) would be an acceptable reason for not submitting your application for a scholarship in time, but I guess there's no harm in trying.

OptimistPrime likes this.