Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

B Dental Surgery In University of Adelaide? ( Undergraduate )

I'm currently in year 11, and i wanted to study dentistry in Adelaide uni and was wondering if it is hard to get in? Why does it only need an Atar of 90 while other Uni's have a lot more? Is the course hard? How many applicants actually get in? How good does your UMAT scores have to be?

Lol. Have a look around the forum mate, for answers for these types of questions, there are 100s of 100s of threads answering these types of questions.

It is extremely difficult to get into dentistry in ANY university. An ATAR of 90 is the cutoff, but the average ATAR for entrance into Adelaide Dent is 98+ if not 99+.
You need to finish in the top 5-10% of UMAT candidates.
That's the first and only time answering questions like these (search through forums and online).

Lol. Have a look around the forum mate, for answers for these types of questions, there are 100s of 100s of threads answering these types of questions.

It is extremely difficult to get into dentistry in ANY university. An ATAR of 90 is the cutoff, but the average ATAR for entrance into Adelaide Dent is 98+ if not 99+.
You need to finish in the top 5-10% of UMAT candidates.
That's the first and only time answering questions like these (search through forums and online).

Its a simple question, and quite frankly, I've been on these threads for months and it's difficult to find the exact answers you're looking for. The reason for these threads is for people to ask questions. No one is forcing you to answer this person's questions, but they're allowed to ask. Goodness.

TimothyWJ

I agree with MedHopefull3000, take it easy ComedyShortsGamer. There is a lot of useless and out of date information on here (and some great stuff too that helped me out a great deal).
BobJunior, as it says above it is extremely difficult to get in to dentistry in any university and the study and practice of dentistry is very difficult too so you should think a great deal about why you want to study and become a dentist. Aim high with your ATAR and UMAT, I think ComedyShortsGamer has covered that. I suggest to not aim and plan solely on Adelaide but to apply for all undergrad unis offering dentistry, if you don't get in in 2017, keep at it and try again, and again if necessary. This summer while your mates are partying and hitting the beach I would suggest you try to get some time volunteering in a dental clinic, the sacrifices will begin the day you decide 100 per-cent that you want to become a dentist but it will pay off in the end. Best of luck with your final school year.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
This may be outdated but I recall back in 2010 when I was applying the minimum UMAT percentile for Adelaide was 80-85%. This may be higher depending on how competitive it is. Overall I suggest aim for the highest ATAR possible and apply for all universities to increase your chances. It is very competitive with easily 1000+ applicants per university for a small number of positions.

defraggle

Yo Hutch. 87 UMAT is a good benchmark - although there are some exceptions: typically some SA students can get in with slightly lower. Your advice is good one and it's good not to hedge all your bets on one basket. I am surprised by the number of applications who aren't willing to move or sit UMAT/GAMSAT. If dent is your dream, move mountains to get there!

defraggle

Highest ATAR is not needed for Adelaide - do note that these days, about half the intake is international (so 35 of 69), then of the remaining 34, probably 20 are postgraduate (my year has a fully qualified pharmacist and me - an IT/MBA qualified project manager) as well as students that have done anywhere between 1-4 years of university study (we have a lawyer, biomed science, pharmacy, optom students & a med student). So as a school leaver, you are fighting for around 14 positions. Mind you I got in with a UMAT of 87.

Admission process is this:

1) Score as high as you can with UMAT
2) Apply to SACE
3) If your UMAT is high enough, you get an interview
4) They rank all applications by interview. Number of CSP positions are known.
5) If you get above 90 ATAR, and are on the list, you get in.
6) They keep offering until they fill up positions - some got given as late as week 4 of sem 1. Mind you, most of the late offers were to internationals as the domestic students weren't the ones dropping out.

defraggle

Bob - last bit of advice, you're going into year 12 now: do your UMAT prep over the summer holidays. You won't have time to learn it from scratch come June. Also, make sure you do some work experience so you know whether it's for you and you'll have something good to say in the interviews. All the best!

Thanks for your help guys. lol I thought that you will get a notification via email when you guys reply - thats what happened when ComedyShortsGamer replied, but no :D . Thanks for your help

P.S i adready started revising for UMAT

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Oh By the way will i have to complete the UMAT or the GAMSAT for POSTGRADUATE entry for dentistry in Adelaide Uni?
Keep in mind Adelaide is still an undergraduate degree while this seems to be phasing out over time. USYD, UWA and UMEL are all postgraduate now meaning you need to finish a degree and sit GAMSAT. CSU, JCU, UQ and Griffith are still undergraduate programs :) Good luck!

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
If you dont mine saying, what GPA did you have to get in? I'm also on a 87 UMAT score right now

Those entrance scores were from 2015 - the scores have probably risen by now unfortunately and defraggle hasn't been on since May :( .