Bachelor of Oral Health

Discussion in 'Dentistry Entrance' started by Debora Fiker, May 5, 2018.

1. Debora Fiker

Debora Fiker New Member

Hey all!

Im currently studying in year 12 and have decided to study a bachelor of oral health when I graduate as it has been a dream of mine since a child. Unfortunately, I am not confident in my ability to get the ATAR required for the so few universities that offer this course such as University of Sydney and University of Melbourne.
    I can't seem to find an alternative pathway (with a lower ATAR requirement) that will lead me to eventually get into the course. Does anyone know what type of course I would have to take, at least for a year, in order to get into Bachelor of Oral Health?

Suggestions?

2. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    Just for clarity's sake, what did you want to do (career wise) with the Bachelor of Oral Health?

3. Debora Fiker

Debora Fiker New Member

I was hoping to become a Dental hygienist or therapist

4. Mana

Resident Medical Officer
    If you are looking to do that, there are also other degrees with different names that will allow you to pursue that. For example (and there are many others) Newcastle offers the Bachelor of Oral Health Therapy with an ATAR cutoff of 87, and Adelaide offers the Bachelor of Oral Health with an ATAR cutoff of 70.

applecider likes this.
  5. Debora Fiker

Debora Fiker New Member

Thank you :)

Would you by any chance have any knowledge about taking the practice to overseas countries such as the US?

6. Mana

Resident Medical Officer
    Its quite likely that (as with other healthcare specialties) the qualifications are not completely interchangeable between here and the USA but this varies a bit. You'll have to find that out yourself re: accreditation bodies in the US and Australia for oral therapists/hygienists.

7. firstsnow

firstsnow New Member

Hi,
    Have you decided on which uni you want to go to? I am confused between Melborune, CSU or Newcastle?