Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

BDS/Dentistry overseas as an Australian

Hi

So i recently saw a thread on studying med overseas as an Australian, then coming back here.

What about dentistry? Say i received an offer from an overseas dental school.

Then graduated and came back to Australia? Worth it?

Anyone keen to share info on the processes after attaining a BDS from overseas, please do so.

Nimbus2000

[MENTION=19920]INADIKAP95[/MENTION], I get the feeling that you are the same person as PakiDan95, but if you're not, sorry and shame on me.
Anyhow, to answer your question - as far as I'm aware, there is no dentistry student tsunami, but that being said, I know very little on the procedures, forms and hoops involved when it comes to overseas degrees and getting accreditation back in australia! There may be a job available for you to get back to, but I would assume that the procedures involved are likely to take at least a couple of years just like getting medical accreditation. It may be worth it, if there really is no other factors stopping you from going overseas (family, finance etc), but that being said, I don't enough about the "other side" to really tell you about it!

Good luck!

l2009

You would have to sit the ADC exam if you want to practice as a dentist in Australia with an overseas qualification. It's not worth it - you might as well try to get into an Australian dental school.

@INADIKAP95 , I get the feeling that you are the same person as PakiDan95, but if you're not, sorry and shame on me.
Anyhow, to answer your question - as far as I'm aware, there is no dentistry student tsunami, but that being said, I know very little on the procedures, forms and hoops involved when it comes to overseas degrees and getting accreditation back in australia! There may be a job available for you to get back to, but I would assume that the procedures involved are likely to take at least a couple of years just like getting medical accreditation. It may be worth it, if there really is no other factors stopping you from going overseas (family, finance etc), but that being said, I don't enough about the "other side" to really tell you about it!

Good luck!

yeah, lol. Shame on you.

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
[MENTION=14430]PakiDan95[/MENTION] We do not allow multiple accounts on this site.

l2009

Can you/anyone expand upon this?

Not sure if you'll see this in with your other account, but since it would be good information for other people too.

I stand corrected from what I stated before, as Australia does recognise dental qualifications from some countries including - 1) United Kingdom 2) Canada 3) Ireland and 4) New Zealand (obviously, haha)

The list of 'accredited' universities can be found here - Dental Board of Australia - Dentists

If you have an overseas dental qualification, you're basically required to jump through a bunch of hoops to satisfy the ADC requirements for general dental registration in Australia. From what I've heard (from demonstrator's at uni who did it / academics who have done it / placement supervisors), it's a pretty tough and very expensive process.

Relevant information can be found here - Australian Dental Council - Assessment Standards

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads