BDS2 Overview

Fili

Dentistry Student 🦷
where can I find a texbook list for BDS2?

They usually get listed in the course overview via blackboard.

Imho you don't need textbooks but if you wanted to read them for fun, you could try Health Sci library. There used to be a dropbox of digital versions of the books that got deleted for some reason. It's not worth the expense tbh, dentistry is already expensive enough.

M_L

Can someone tell me roughly how much I need to fork out for the equipment if I get in to Dent 2nd year?

Fili

Dentistry Student 🦷
Can someone tell me roughly how much I need to fork out for the equipment if I get in to Dent 2nd year?

Dental Instruments are around $1700. We had some components missing this year so we paid around $1400-$1500. Idk when we're supposed to get those missing components tbh but yeah.

Immunity Screening (blood tests) is around $300. Any missing vaccines or immunity boosters required, you'll have to pay as well which could increase the cost by a couple of hundreds.

First Aid Course - depends on the company so not too sure. Defs check St John's or Red Cross. I used Red Cross which was probably around $200+.

• Wow
Reactions: M_L

M_L

Dental Instruments are around $1700. We had some components missing this year so we paid around $1400-$1500. Idk when we're supposed to get those missing components tbh but yeah.

Immunity Screening (blood tests) is around $300. Any missing vaccines or immunity boosters required, you'll have to pay as well which could increase the cost by a couple of hundreds.

First Aid Course - depends on the company so not too sure. Defs check St John's or Red Cross. I used Red Cross which was probably around $200+.

thanks, gee that's quite alot of money for students ay lol

Fili

Dentistry Student 🦷
thanks, gee that's quite alot of money for students ay lol

Yeah had to pretty much open up my savings account and use up the $1k student loans that I've accumulated.

But after this one, I hear there isn't a super big pay out until fourth year when you get loupes. Even then, it's still not as much as this one.

reverse

Lurker
1. Does DENT 261 Biomaterials involve a lot of physics?
2. Are there any helpful resources/apps you would recommend in preparation for the course or could use throughout the course?

Thanks!

Fili

Dentistry Student 🦷
1. Does DENT 261 Biomaterials involve a lot of physics?
2. Are there any helpful resources/apps you would recommend in preparation for the course or could use throughout the course?

Thanks!

1) Mainly conceptual physics and is easy enough to understand. We didn't need calculators or anything. It's mainly concepts e.g. corrosion, the pros and cons of different impression materials etc. The final exam questions were all essays if that helps - try looking at past exams for "Dent 261B" and you'll get a good idea of the things they ask. It's very different to your typical health sci and ncea physics stuff.

2) You don't need any preparation before hand. Second year walks you through things quite well and holds your hand along the way, other than biochemistry. They're slowly trying to change that paper since it's so bad that even the grad students who have done biochemistry (like myself) wonder why they're making biochemistry seem like wrote-memorisation when it should be about concepts.

Ngl the best resource is literally google. I mean the lecture slides are enough since they're just cramming a lot of biomedical sciences in one year since you never see a lot of it again *ehem bioc*, but I just used google and youtube to understand concepts.

The main thing about professional programmes are that the lecturers care. No one wants you to fail since they know that grades don't matter as much as being a good health professional that care for their patient.

Last edited: