Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

BMedSci - when is the best time to do it?

thushan

This is just a vague plan at the moment - but I'm quite keen on doing the Monash BMedSci (if i can get in!)
Question is, when is the best time to do it? After 2nd, 3rd or 4th year? Pros and cons of each?

Calem

Ol' Man River
This is just a vague plan at the moment - but I'm quite keen on doing the Monash BMedSci (if i can get in!)
Question is, when is the best time to do it? After 2nd, 3rd or 4th year? Pros and cons of each?
Also, don't forget that you can do it after 5th year.
But I don't know when. My guess is after 2nd so that you don't interrupt clinicals, but I'm not entirely sure.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Too keen Thushan :p

oh lol (to the bold part)...

Anyway, a lot of people do it after 4th year and 5th year though from what I've heard :)

Pros after 2nd year: Before clinical studies, although you've got to be confident with your knowledge at this point
Pros after 3rd year: ? (unless you're needing a break from clin studies lol)
Pros after 4th year: the major exams are over
Pros after 5th year: your whole degree is over

Negs in general: More intern tsunami, an extra year, you won't graduate with us if you do it after 3rd or 4th year (and we'll totally kick you out of the fb group too :p) :(

Last edited:

Season

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Negs in general: More intern tsunami, an extra year, you won't graduate with us if you do it after 3rd or 4th year (and we'll totally kick you out of the fb group too :p) :(

The intern tsunami is unavoidable for you guys, one year more is pretty equivalent. Its people like Matt who have escaped it.

I would base it on the type of project it is. If its more sciencey/lab based, I'd do it after 2nd. If its involves some clinical setting then it'd probably be beneficial to have some clinical experience on your side.

Taking time to do research is a fantastic idea. Its a great way to get published and it'll be invaluable on your CV when you head into the competitive world on speciality applications. Furthermore the skills you will gain will help you do research projects as a junior doctor if you want. Its difficult to learn how research works when you're already working full time, however if you've taken time out to do it before you are much more able to do it as a junior doctor/reg

Angavar

In my opinion, the best time to do a Bachelor of Medical Science is never. You end up accruing another year of HECS debt and spend another year in university while you don't have an income (and Youth Allowance is not an income). If you're intent on doing research, why not just wait until after you've graduated so you can get paid to do research?

Calem

Ol' Man River
In my opinion, the best time to do a Bachelor of Medical Science is never. You end up accruing another year of HECS debt and spend another year in university while you don't have an income (and Youth Allowance is not an income). If you're intent on doing research, why not just wait until after you've graduated so you can get paid to do research?
Oh noes, HECS debt. Wait, I'm going to be well paid out of uni.
The point about financing yourself is valid, but I mean, it's one more year of uni, not three or something. Surely there are ways to get supplementary income on top of Centrelink (shock horror, part-time job?).
I don't think the main point of the BMedSc(Hons) is to do research, it's to learn how to do research (including annoying but necessary stuff like grant writing, ethics etc. etc.). If you've spent a year in uni learning how to do this, you're going to be at a much better advantage when you do research as a clinician - from all my observations as a child of two researchers, it's not something that you just pick up. And if you're good at research and getting published, then you're going to have a better chance of getting into your preferred postgraduate training program in these increasingly competitive times.

I still haven't decided whether I want to do it - mainly because I'm not sure how good I'd be at it, and also because you get a year behind your original cohort - which kinda sucks, although that's not such a big problem if you say do it after fourth or fifth year.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
On a side note, I don't think Thushan has a lot of problems with HECS debt atm, he's a very high achiver :p

Season

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff

I am somewhat surprised you state this when you come from a state that allocates internship on merit. Its also pretty difficult to get paid to do research when you have little time and no experience.

Jordan

I'm definitely taking a BMedSci(Hons) year at UoN. Research is something which I've always been interested in and it seems like a great opportunity to get some experience without overcommitting myself to anything. It is only a year after all which isn't that onerous in the grand scheme of things.