Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Bond Med 2018 Discussion

drpkjr

Hi Guys just wanted to say hello and thank you to Benjamin, A1 Mana and any of the other moderators I have missed. This site and the threads have been so helpful.

So I went to a Bond Med school info evening the other night in WA. They have announced that they have worked with a USA company and planning to ask potential candidates to sit an online Psychometric test. So basically the plan for 2018 is that 500 students from QTAC ranking will be asked to sit the psychometric online test at the applicants cost ( cost for sitting test and usa company has not been id by Bond yet) Of those top 200 get interviewed.

Regardless they are still working out the legal stuff with the american company they plan to use but the new med school brochures I got from the night list the Psychometric testing although the Bond website does not refer to it yet.

I bombed the Umat after studying so hard. So now after reading the threads...
Opt 1 applying to JCU and Bond,
Opt 2 start an undergrad jan feb 2018 resit the Umat and apply as non standard
Opt 3 finish an undergrad and sit GAMSAT

Questions:
1. Anyone know what the psychometric test is like?
2. I know that the JCU app is critical... does anyone have any idea on what to emphasize? There is only a small amount of space..should I share more about community service trips I have taken .. or workstudy experiences working with different docs or leadership.

Any thoughts would be most welcome!

Pirsig

Re: options

Why not all of them? Start an undergraduate in a field that you enjoy/is likely to result in employment, and do the best to maintain the highest GPA possible. Your major/degree doesn't really matter for graduate entry. I'd probably avoid something like medsci. Mana's sig has a lot of great info about picking a degree.

Anyway. In this scenario you'd start the undergrad, sit the UMAT each year to try gain a place, and sit the GAMSAT in the final year of your degree. If your ATAR is high enough then apply for JCU, and if you/your family can afford Bond perhaps go there. Medicine is an extremely competitive field so you're maximising your chances this way and by picking a smart undergraduate option you'll be able to work through medical school/have a job if all goes poorly.

I can't help you much regarding your questions. Start with the JCU sub-forum for application info. Be weary of anecdotal experience but note the common threads. By the sounds of things (community service trips, work/study experience with doctors/leadership) you have a lot of great stuff.

I'm sure someone more experienced will have something to add! Best of luck.

drpkjr

Thank you so much, great feedback Pirsig. As for JCU i have looked at the threads but couldn't seem to locate any information.

B2

Hi Guys just wanted to say hello and thank you to Benjamin, A1 Mana and any of the other moderators I have missed. This site and the threads have been so helpful.

So I went to a Bond Med school info evening the other night in WA. They have announced that they have worked with a USA company and planning to ask potential candidates to sit an online Psychometric test. So basically the plan for 2018 is that 500 students from QTAC ranking will be asked to sit the psychometric online test at the applicants cost ( cost for sitting test and usa company has not been id by Bond yet) Of those top 200 get interviewed.

Regardless they are still working out the legal stuff with the american company they plan to use but the new med school brochures I got from the night list the Psychometric testing although the Bond website does not refer to it yet.

I bombed the Umat after studying so hard. So now after reading the threads...
Opt 1 applying to JCU and Bond,
Opt 2 start an undergrad jan feb 2018 resit the Umat and apply as non standard
Opt 3 finish an undergrad and sit GAMSAT

Questions:
1. Anyone know what the psychometric test is like?
2. I know that the JCU app is critical... does anyone have any idea on what to emphasize? There is only a small amount of space..should I share more about community service trips I have taken .. or workstudy experiences working with different docs or leadership.

Any thoughts would be most welcome!
Hey I am a current student in Bond medicine. The psychometric test is designed to pick the most "desirable and suitable personalities" that they deem for medicine. The test will have questions testing your work ethic, empathy, professionalism, ethical judgments as well as logical reasoning. Of the 500 candidates, 250 will get interviews and the 120 place offers in Bond medicine.

I think for your scenario, it is best to try all options and maximise your chances of getting into medicine- Definitely apply to both JCU and Bond and try get a place ( knowing that bond medicine is ffp and the degree will cost around 360k). If this doesnt work out, start an undergrad next year, apply every year as a non standard and then apply through post graduate routes if you still don't seem to get a place. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions specifically about Bond medicine !

sueperth

Hey I am a current student in Bond medicine. The psychometric test is designed to pick the most "desirable and suitable personalities" that they deem for medicine. The test will have questions testing your work ethic, empathy, professionalism, ethical judgments as well as logical reasoning. Of the 500 candidates, 250 will get interviews and the 120 place offers in Bond medicine.

I think for your scenario, it is best to try all options and maximise your chances of getting into medicine- Definitely apply to both JCU and Bond and try get a place ( knowing that bond medicine is ffp and the degree will cost around 360k). If this doesnt work out, start an undergrad next year, apply every year as a non standard and then apply through post graduate routes if you still don't seem to get a place. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions specifically about Bond medicine !
Looks like it's going to be like an UMAT test.

B2

Looks like it's going to be like an UMAT test.
They scrapped the UMAT as a selection tool around 2-3 years ago. I doubt they will reintroduce a test which is similar ( because that would be pointless).
Idea behind psychometric testing ; the number of applications were increasing at Bond every year and they could only rank and provide opportunities to the top 250 candidates in the interview. So they put in this test as a selection tool to give opportunities to the top 500 students in the academic ranks to get a place offer. They thoroughly believe that the interview is a great selection tool after being ranked on academic thresholds, thus providing more students who may be a little lower in the academic ranks to get a place offer.

sueperth

They scrapped the UMAT as a selection tool around 2-3 years ago. I doubt they will reintroduce a test which is similar ( because that would be pointless).
Idea behind psychometric testing ; the number of applications were increasing at Bond every year and they could only rank and provide opportunities to the top 250 candidates in the interview. So they put in this test as a selection tool to give opportunities to the top 500 students in the academic ranks to get a place offer. They thoroughly believe that the interview is a great selection tool after being ranked on academic thresholds, thus providing more students who may be a little lower in the academic ranks to get a place offer.
So will the interviews be offered just based on this test or on combination of ATAR and test

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
Idea behind psychometric testing ; the number of applications were increasing at Bond every year and they could only rank and provide opportunities to the top 250 candidates in the interview.
So just like the UMAT in the sense that it is a gross culling tool?

B2

So just like the UMAT in the sense that it is a gross culling tool?
Not exactly the idea. It allows students in the top 500 to compete for an offer rather than 250 and picks students who have suitable qualities for medicine.

B2

So will the interviews be offered just based on this test or on combination of ATAR and test
You will be academically ranked. From this, the top 500 will get an invite to sit the test. The top ( by top, I mean the; the candidates they deem suitable for medicine ) 250 in the test will get an interview. Once you have been invited to sit the test, the ATAR/GPA is scrapped.

sueperth

You will be academically ranked. From this, the top 500 will get an invite to sit the test. The top ( by top, I mean the; the candidates they deem suitable for medicine ) 250 in the test will get an interview. Once you have been invited to sit the test, the ATAR/GPA is scrapped.
As this test can be done from any computer with internet connection so the test conditions would not be same for everyone. Looks like going to be biased!

B2

As this test can be done from any computer with internet connection so the test conditions would not be same for everyone. Looks like going to be biased!
Again and for the last time, the test is to judge suitability for medicine. It won't make a difference where you do it and what resources you have whilst your doing it. Nothing will help as the answers you provide will be based on your personal prejudice, experience and personality. All you need is a computer and an internet connection.

sueperth

Again and for the last time, the test is to judge suitability for medicine. It won't make a difference where you do it and what resources you have whilst your doing it. Nothing will help as the answers you provide will be based on your personal prejudice, experience and personality. All you need is a computer and an internet connection.
Someone else can take the test instead of actual candidate

drpkjr

I completely understand what the test is suppose to test for...couple questions
1. When googleing psychometric tests many of them state that you can study them...is that true and how would I go about preparing for it?
2. I think sueperth brings up a good point, how will Bond ensure that the actual applicant is taking the test?

B2

I completely understand what the test is suppose to test for...couple questions
1. When googleing psychometric tests many of them state that you can study them...is that true and how would I go about preparing for it?
2. I think sueperth brings up a good point, how will Bond ensure that the actual applicant is taking the test?
Any test can practically be studied for but the real point is how much difference, if at all, that study is going to make. In my opinion, just answer the questions as honestly as possible and hope for the best.
The exact details of how Bond will run this test is unclear as it is their first year using it as a selection tool. A lot of things are still under process so I guess only time will tell.

Does anyone know the Bond Biomed cohort size? Just thinking about doing 1 year of it and trying to compete for the top 5 spots that get into second year...

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Does anyone know the Bond Biomed cohort size? Just thinking about doing 1 year of it and trying to compete for the top 5 spots that get into second year...
You probably should read the article in my signature labelled "Common Pitfalls to Avoid".

B2

What's the chance of getting an interview with a high OP3, low OP2
There would have been no chance up till last year. With this years new selection tool, the academic cutoff will be lower so may provide a slight chance.
Unless you can outrightly afford it, you do not want to pay the money required to do Bond Biomedicine just in the hope for competing for the top 5 spots which is extremely extremely competitive.