Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Bond Med + Part-time/casual job?

parker

Lurker
Hey everyone :),

I was wondering if any current medical students have been working while they have been studying. I've been thinking about applying for a part-time/casual job- preferably near bond- to help pay off extra amenities and flights to and from home.

Is it manageable to balance med life with work life?

Last edited:

d99

Yes, definitely in first year where the study isn't too intense. The only problem is the timetable changes every week so it is hard to plan out schedules. Even with this though, plenty still do a lot of work and get by fine.

parker

Lurker
Yes, definitely in first year where the study isn't too intense. The only problem is the timetable changes every week so it is hard to plan out schedules. Even with this though, plenty still do a lot of work and get by fine.
Cheers, thanks for that

B2

Hey everyone :),

I was wondering if any current medical students have been working while they have been studying. I've been thinking about applying for a part-time/casual job- preferably near bond- to help pay off extra amenities and flights to and from home.

Is it manageable to balance med life with work life?
The most crucial aspect of getting a job would be to have extremely flexible working hours. Draft timetables for each week are released prior and you will be able to see what sessions are compulsory and what sessions are not. If you have a lecture, it will tell you that you have a lecture but it will not tell you what it is on.

Therefore, it can be hard to discern which classes will be important to attend for you personally - this information only becomes clear on the Monday of that week when the proper timetable is released. A job with flexible hours can help with this.

Terron Beckham

Bond Med II
d99 , got any examples of flexible jobs that bond students work? Because I've been working at places like Hungry Jacks and Coles where the rosters were pretty rigid. Maybe something like delivering for uber eats would work?

B2

d99 , got any examples of flexible jobs that bond students work? Because I've been working at places like Hungry Jacks and Coles where the rosters were pretty rigid. Maybe something like delivering for uber eats would work?
Uber eats/ Uber driving is definitely a good option which will depend on your driving license qualifications. The most popular option is tutoring.

chinaski

It's not really advice that's peculiar to Bond; most (if not all) medical schools have rigid, yet ever-changing timetables. As such, evening and weekend work is usually a safe bet.

rustyedges

Working in the university library can be good too. Usually pretty flexible with your timetable, and often good chances to do a bit of light study in the downtime.

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
I found hospitality work to be the best bet during my early medical school years - primarily evenings or weekend shifts, usually fairly flexible if you have a good work place / make friends there, minimal stress & no preparation needed compared to tutoring, pay usually around $18 - $25/hour + tips if you work in fine dining. Usually you also get fed if you work in the kitchen! I did various jobs from working as a dishie to front of house to line cook.

Later in medical school I tutored as I had less time & got paid more, but the job was far more time consuming outside of work hours than working as a kitchenhand / waiter. It's also harder to tee up 10 hours a week of tutoring than it is to get 10 hours of hospitality work! My advice if you are going down the tutoring route would be to try and find a company that you can work through as it takes a lot of the organisational hassle out of the job.