Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Bond Medicine 2020 discussion

Gangau

Important note for repeat applicants for Bond medicine: If you sat the psychometric test in 2019, you cannot sit it again in 2020 - instead, your score from 2019 will be used for your 2020 application.

Graduate applicants: There were 350 graduate students applying for ~20 spots last year for graduate students - this info was provided on the Bond webinar in 2020. (Added by Crow as requested from a user).

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Bond took 143 places in 2019

Psychometric Test
Revelian MSCEIT 141 QUESTIONS AND 16PF 170 QUESTIONS

Last edited by a moderator:

Gangau

Last year
The Psychometric Test invitation was sent on 11 Feb 2019 and asked to complete between 12 -13 Feb 2019
The interview invitation was sent on 19th Feb 2019 and held on 25 26 Feb and 1 May 2019

BettyLuv

Hi Ganga
I understand that you are studying at Bond in your first year. Congrats! Can you help me with a 'couple' of queries:
(i) How much do the books and other items roughly cost?
(ii) What advice can you give on accommodation? And also cost of accommodation/living on the Gold Coast?
(iii) Do you know anything about prejudice against Bond Doctors because they had to 'pay' their way through med school ie unable to score high enough to get a CSP?
(iv) Regarding demographic, is it like a 'rich' crowd or more like average middle class students whose families are sacrificing alot to send them there?
(v) So far, are you happy with the course, university facilities, standard of teaching and your cohort?
(vi) Any - "I wish someone had told me this about the Bond Med course" moments?
(vii) Why didnt you consider trying post-grad medicine? Whilst it is a longer path, it is a considerably cheaper option.

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
B2 may also be able to weigh in on the above questions if they happen to pop by.

I_love_curry

Bond MD II
Hi Ganga
I understand that you are studying at Bond in your first year. Congrats! Can you help me with a 'couple' of queries:
(ii) What advice can you give on accommodation? And also cost of accommodation/living on the Gold Coast?
(iii) Do you know anything about prejudice against Bond Doctors because they had to 'pay' their way through med school ie unable to score high enough to get a CSP?
(iv) Regarding demographic, is it like a 'rich' crowd or more like average middle class students whose families are sacrificing alot to send them there?
(v) So far, are you happy with the course, university facilities, standard of teaching and your cohort?
(vii) Why didnt you consider trying post-grad medicine? Whilst it is a longer path, it is a considerably cheaper option.
Hi, I'm not Ganga but I'll try to answer your questions:

i) To be honest, I haven't bought a single book. People in first year only tend to buy Marieb, but if you look hard enough (talk to the second years) you can always find the PDF versions of the prescribed textbooks. People also tend to buy a stethoscope, either by themselves or through medsoc (which is slightly cheaper) but otherwise, you generally don't need it since Bond gives them to you during procedural sessions and your formative assessment task at the end of year.

ii) I can only talk about on-campus accommodation. I'm paying 4000 for my room (which is a single ensuite) plus 2000 for food which is mandatory if you stay on campus. Bear in mind there are other rooms (cheaper by 1k and even more) but you'll either be sharing toilets and showers with about 7-8 people (but personal room), or you'll be sharing a room and bathroom with someone else. It all comes down to personal preference. Petrol tends to be a bit cheaper than Brisbane (and in my case Melbourne), and take away is reasonably priced too around market square next to Bond (about $10-$15 for a hearty meal).

iii) No, I have not heard of such thing. Bond is just another medical school and people really tend not to care once you graduate where've you've come from.

iv) There is a mixture of students from different socioeconomic backgrounds. Yes, there are those that can very 'comfortably' afford the fees. But there are others whose families have sacrificed so much to send their child/children to Bond. Some of the commitment and hard work you see from students and their families just to study at Bond is inspiring.

v) I am very pleased and grateful to be studying here. The faculty really wants to see you succeed and as such, there is ample support available. The teaching facilities so far have been top-notch, and the lecturers are quite good. Although the way they teach histology tends to be a hit or a miss between students, but overall its been alright. Everyone in the cohort basically knows each other; its like a small family. You also end up talking to everyone in the older cohorts too, and they tend to go out their way to help you as much as they can.

vi) Just try to enjoy your holidays before starting at Bond, because it gets hectic. We only get 3 weeks off (4 for the december/january holidays) in between semesters which sucks, but it is what it is. Also, don't fail otherwise be ready to fork out an additional 90k hahaha.

vii) I actually had a talk to my parents before starting. Although it is considerably cheaper, I personally did not want to waste any more years trying to get into med elsewhere, whilst having that uncertainty of not making it in. I just didn't want to risk it. Although I do agree that the fees are a very hefty amount, my parents were fine to help me pay it - this is something I'll be forever grateful for.

Last edited:

BettyLuv

Thanks I-love-curry. You are indeed fortunate to have your parents help you fund the education! However, I am just thinking that one's funding circumstances can change over the years. So..
1)Have you heard of anyone successfully transferring from Bond to a CSP school?
2)Additionally, what happens if a student needs to pause for a year (in order to work and save up for the next year)? Is this possible / permissable?

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
I've heard of it happening but it's not through transfer, it's by applying in the main pool of applicants and starting the degree from scratch like everyone else. Transfers between medical schools are incredibly rare and only care in exceptional circumstances outside of a person's control, e.g. primary carer responsibilities or severe illness etc. Financial issues would not be a permissible reason.

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
Thanks I-love-curry. You are indeed fortunate to have your parents help you fund the education! However, I am just thinking that one's funding circumstances can change over the years. So..
2)Additionally, what happens if a student needs to pause for a year (in order to work and save up for the next year)? Is this possible / permissable?
Yep, like Crow I’ve also heard of people starting Bond but then using their Med GPA to apply to JMP in particular the next year, hoping for a move to a CSP spot but recognising they will be starting from first year again.

Not all non-standard universities allow people who’ve already been enrolled in a Med degree to apply to them, but JMP definitely do.

I_love_curry

Bond MD II
Yep exactly, I haven't heard of anyone transferring. There have been a few people in my cohort that have applied to med elsewhere (either through the undergrad or postgrad pathway) and some are actually leaving too (mainly the postgrads).

After starting, you are allowed to take a year off but you do need to return the following year. They will not give you anymore time off.

B2

Hi Ganga
As already answered above, just adding:

Accomodation can range from $150 per week all the way upto $400 per week depending on how many people you live with and whether it is off/on campus. Food is an additional cost and a mandatory $2k if you decide to live on campus (most common reason people actually move off campus after the initial year of settling in).

No discrimination of Bond Medical graduates. In fact, they are doing quite well and liked throughout the hospitals.

Yes Bond's program is expensive and something that not all families can afford but you will graduate 2-3 years earlier than the post graduate route. Thats almost $200k in salary and helps make up the hefty Bond fees if you are initially able to afford them. Combine that with a $150k in Fee- HELP loan and thats most of the degree paid for.

Deferring the degree is not allowed, but yes, you are able to take years off after the initial year if you need to work to afford the following years. I know students who have done this.

Gangau

Bond took 128 in 2018
2019 143 ( Bond has completed Facility expansion). Bond will increase to 150 gradually.

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
How many school leavers and how many are graduates for each year roughly?
Unless it’s changed recently, 80% of places are for school-leavers and non-standards and 20% of places are for those with a degree.