Book you are currently reading

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Matt

Matt Emeritus MSO Staff Emeritus

Along the same lines as the song you are currently listening to thread, I thought I'd start this thread. Post the book you're reading at the moment and discuss the books other people are reading.I'll start :).

I'm reading The Keeping Place by Isobelle Carmody.

It's the 4th book in the Obernewytn fantasy series that I didn't manage to read in high school (when, apparently, everyone else I know did :confused:). Good, but very easy, reading, which is nice after some of the heavier books I've got through this year.

ETA: Textbooks have no place in this thread! :p

ETA2: I'm listing the books I read here (just because it should be convenient and it'll be a public way of committing to it. The goal is 10,000 pages of non-textbook reading for the year. I was considering 15,000, but now third year has started I'm thinking that's unlikely.

The Keeping Place - Isobelle Carmody 754 pages
    The Stone Key - Isobelle Carmody 1000 pages
    Tales of Beedle the Bard - J. K. Rowling 128 pages
    Never Say Die - Dr Chris O'Brien 320 pages
    Kakfa on the Shore - Haruki Murakami 498 pages
    Love in the time of cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez 423 pages
    Let the right one in - John Ajvide Lindqvist 513 pages
    The People of the Books - Geraldine Brooks 463 pages
    The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins 420 pages
    In Cold Blood - Truman Capote 343 pages
    The Ladies of Grace Adeiu - Susannah Clarke 235 pages
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Seth Grahame-Smith and Jane Austen 317 pages
    The Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum 198 pages
    The Book Thief - Marcus Zusak 584 pages
    Coraline - Neil Gaiman 184 pages
    Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray 809 pages
    Northern Lights - Philip Pullman 403 pages
    The Subtle Knife - Philip Pullman 325 pages
    The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman 522 pages
    The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown 507 pages
    The Rose and the Ring - William Makepeace Thackeray 157 pages

The Bedside Conan Doyle -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 381 pages
    Guards! Guards! Graphic Novel - Terry Pratchett 122 pages
    The French Lieutenant's Woman - John Fowles 399 pages
    Dead until Dark - Charlaine Harris 302 pages
    Living Dead in ****** - Charlaine Harris 320 pages
    The House of Seven Gables - Nathaniel Hawthorne 330 pages
    A brief history of time - Stephen Hawking 224 pages
    The Graveyard book - Neil Gailman 320 pages
    A tale of two cities - Charles Dickens 466 pages
    The curious incident of the dog in the night time - Mark Haddon 270 pages
    A woman doctor looks at love and life - Marion Hillard 181 pages

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer (UNDS MBBS) Administrar

Junior Medical Officer
    I remember that series. It had me hooked until I finished the last one... and there really should have been a fifth book of the series; the ending seems rather unsatisfactory.

I don't have a book at the moment, but the last decent book (okay, series) I read was the four books of the Twilight series, a matter of weeks ago.

Any comment I make on those is bound to result in hate either way, so I'll stop there.
    I enjoyed it. :p flame away

3. Snuffbox

Snuffbox The Thinker

The Da Vinci Code... wondering if i should've read angels and demons first though hmmm

i'm the first twilight basher!!! although to be honest, mine will be a biased and unfounded dislike... i've never read a single page and i don't intend to purely because even the most respectable people have become addicted to it and i don't want to be obsessed with it... wastes time :p and i don't intend to see the movie either although i do have a friend who has gone 5 times to see it :eek: after reading the books (which she started the week before exams and somewhat regrets doing :p) further proof of its undeniably strong, pulling power!

4. Hayden

Hayden Getting busier Emeritus

Great thread.

I'm currently reading The Brain that Changes Itself by Norman Doige. It's non-fiction but not a textbook; it details (in layman's terms) several phenomenal cases of humans overcoming disabilities and injuries that give the reader a great understanding of the concepts of neuroplasticity. I've found it really fascinating, and a friend of mine (not a medical student) has gotten into it just as much.

I was like that with Harry Potter about 6 years ago until I started reading it one holidays and realised how brilliant the series was.

Moral: you shouldn't judge a series without reading it. That's what Laura Mallory did with HP (google it). Absolute insolence.
    (Plus, The Da Vinci Code is far more popular than the Twilight series).

5. cdb08

cdb08 Member

<Twilight bash>
    My girlfriend took me to see 'Twilight' a few weeks ago and I had no idea about the hype, the fact that it was based on a book series or what the movie was actually about. I was lured to the theater under the impression that it was a "cool vampire movie" not unlike '30 days of night'. I left the movies feeling absolutely GUTTED, this is the second chick flick I have been tricked into seeing in as many months.
    </Twilight bash>

Currently reading; 'Eugene Onegin' by Alexander Pushkin, supposedly the greatest piece of Russian literature. Cost me $5 from some market... I quite like it.
    I'm trying to get through a few classics over the holidays, to distract myself from Med offer anxiety. Only a few more weeks to go.

6. meimei

meimei Regular Member

I'm reading The Hours by Michael Cunningham - again. It's a perpetual favourite, and though the movie is a great adaptation, the book is even better.

I haven't read Twilight and have no particular desire to. I'm hoping to read/re-read some classics before I start med (2010 at the earliest, so I've got some time), so I may look up Eugene Onegin. The Brain that Changes Itself sounds interesting too - thanks for the recommendations!

Next on my list are The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean (yep, I'm a Meryl Streep fan) and re-reading Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.

7. Matt

You're in luck. I think it was last year that Isobelle Carmody finally finished and released the fifth book. It's called The Stone Key and it's even longer than The Keeping Place.

The final and sixth book is due out in September... it's so long the publishers in some countries have decided to release it as two books (though at the same time).

8. woozy

woozy Regular Member

Reading a couple right now:

Vietnam: The Australian War by Paul Ham
    The Costello Memoirs by Peter Costello & Peter Coleman
    Uncle Tungsten: Memoirs of a chemical boyhood by Oliver Sacks

9. embrace now.

embrace now. Regular Member

At the moment, I'm juggling The Collapse of Chaos by Jack Cohen and Ian Stewart and How To Lose Friends and Alienate People by Toby Young.

Looking at my bookcase, I have a lot of reading to do ..

10. hezdawg

hezdawg Member

body of evidence - patricia cornwell

she rocks =D

11. tjchung

tjchung Member

The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga
    Won the Man Booker award last year

12. woozy

woozy Regular Member

He also went to James Ruse! Ultimate lol's!

13. Kyle

Kyle Old Man MSO Emeritus

Outliers - Malcom Caldwell
    The Parochial and Plain Sermons - Cardinal J.H. Newman
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert M. Pirsig

14. Hayden

Hayden Getting busier Emeritus

Matt is that Isobelle Carmody series actually good? I'm looking for some easy reading that I can get a bit engrossed in to take my mind off school during semester. Something not too taxing on the brain but clever, a bit of escapism. (Like Harry Potter lol)

15. ctu_max

ctu_max Regular Member

I just finished reading Animal Farm by George Orwell, its really short but very well written with a good message

16. tjchung

tjchung Member

lol really, he's in abu dhabi right now

17. Matt

If you're looking for something like Harry Potter than this is the series for you. It's very easy reading, like no trouble reading the first or second book in a day or two (like HP).... in fact,you could really draw a lot of parallels with the HP series (though it's a very different idea). So yeah a lot like Harry Potter just not as good.

Typical fantasy series though, books get longer as you go (Keeping Place is 750 pages). Funny story actually, Keeping Place (4th book) was published in 99 and the Stone Key (5th book) was published last year. The last book is due out in September.

18. CrusaDora25

CrusaDora25 Regular Member

TWILIGHT

I am in love with the story. :p Pretty rare consider that I am a guy...

19. westenra

westenra Regular Member

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - why? because it was the shortest classic on my shelf and I wished to appear learned... in a hurry :p. It's very philosophical... and surprisingly candid for 19th century literature - so far.

Also recently finished Chris O'Brien's Never Say Die - very interesting and moving.

20. Matt

You know Dorian Gray the movie is coming out this year? Colin Firth and Ben Barnes (Prince Caspian of Narnia) in the leading roles. I'm kinda excited :D I need to get around to seeing the original Dorian Gray movie before it comes out though.

Oscar Wilde has the most amazing writing style. You should definitely consider reading some of his short stories or plays. They stay true to that candid but philosophical writing style as well. They're fantastic.