Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

BSc/MBBS Course selection help

Trin

Hi all :)
I have accepted my offer to study BSc/MBBS at UQ and am currently choosing courses for biomedical sciences.
However, the course planner told me I needed only #4 to #8 of level 3 courses but according to the program rules for MBBS, I need to have completed #12 of late year courses.

Here is the rule I am more confused with:
"4. Program requirements
(1) To complete the program, students must complete 96 units from the BSc and MBBS course lists, comprising –
(a) 32 units under parts A and B of the BSc course list comprising –
(i) 6 units from part A; and
(ii) 14 units from part B; and
(iii) 12 units from part A or part B or a combination of these parts; and
(b) 64 units from the MBBS course list.
(2) For subrule (1)(a), a student must gain 12 units for late year courses."

Can [MENTION=4821]godoftoast[/MENTION] [MENTION=5614]kashmuq[/MENTION] explain this to me please? :)

kashmuq

U mad?
For us it was just complete a minimum of 4 units of 3rd year and 6 units of 2nd year (2 3rd yr courses and 3 2nd year courses) minimum. Can't find the link to our study planner atm though. Maybe late year courses includes 2nd year and this has been increased to 6 courses in total across 2nd and 3rd year? Can you post a link to your study planner?

kashmuq

U mad?
I had this bookmarked don't know why I couldn't find it...
Well that planner is pretty much exactly the same thing we had. 'Minimum #6 at Level 2' and 'Minimum #4 at Level 3 courses'.

As for the program rules not really sure what they're referring to. I'd never actually seen them brought up and everyone just stuck to the planner. Assuming 12 units of later years = non 1st year courses then everyone does this anyway because there's the minimum of 10 units that's stated in the planner, and no one just does this minimum and has all other 11 courses as 1st years. You will pretty much definitely do at least 4 2nd years.

Trin

Hmm, that's weird =(
On the Program Rules is says that a late course is "late year course means a course at level 3 or higher;"
From the course planner though, I only have 6 units of level 3 when 12 are required!

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
I dont know what you guys are getting confused over.

Course list for the Bachelor of Science - Courses and Programs - The University of Queensland, Australia = have a look at that list. Part A courses are all the first year courses. Part B courses are those that are second or third year courses. The requirements are pretty simple:

-do 3 first year courses minimum
-do 7 second or third year courses
-do 6 other courses that can be either first or second year
-all courses have to be from the BSc list
-you have to do the BSc prerequisite (STAT1201)
-you have to do all the Biomedical Science prerequisites (BIOL1040,BIOL1020, CHEM1020, BIOL2200)
-you have to do minimum 2 second year courses from the biomedical science list
-you have to do minimum 2 third year courses from the biomedical science list

Those are all the rules. Just follow the planner and you should meet all of them. Dont over think it.

kashmuq

U mad?
I dont know what you guys are getting confused over.

Course list for the Bachelor of Science - Courses and Programs - The University of Queensland, Australia = have a look at that list. Part A courses are all the first year courses. Part B courses are those that are second or third year courses. The requirements are pretty simple:

-do 3 first year courses minimum
-do 7 second or third year courses
-do 6 other courses that can be either first or second year
-all courses have to be from the BSc list
-you have to do the BSc prerequisite (STAT1201)
-you have to do all the Biomedical Science prerequisites (BIOL1040,BIOL1020, CHEM1020, BIOL2200)
-you have to do minimum 2 second year courses from the biomedical science list
-you have to do minimum 2 third year courses from the biomedical science list

Those are all the rules. Just follow the planner and you should meet all of them. Dont over think it.

It's confusing because the program rules don't match up with the study planner. Even the ones you've put here - 'do 7 second or third year courses', study planner only says 3 2nd year and 2 3rd year = 5. But yeah follow the study planner and you'll be fine.

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
It's confusing because the program rules don't match up with the study planner. Even the ones you've put here - 'do 7 second or third year courses', study planner only says 3 2nd year and 2 3rd year = 5. But yeah follow the study planner and you'll be fine.

Thats because you are retarded ka$ha (if you see this guy around uq please call him this - he loves it :p). The course planner says a minimum of 2 3rd years and a minimum of 3 2nd years. You can do more than the minimum.

Last edited:

kashmuq

U mad?
Thats because you are retarded muqi. The course planner says a minimum of 2 3rd years and a minimum of 3 2nd years. You can do more than the minimum.

Um you right there dude? Obviously both of these would be referring to minimum requirements, including the program rules/ones you posted. The point is the minimum requirements should all match up.

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
Um you right there dude? Obviously both of these would be referring to minimum requirements, including the program rules/ones you posted. The point is the minimum requirements should all match up.

Um nope. The minimum requirements already match. The minimum requirements allow room for personalisation. You can opt to do 3 3rd years and 4 2nd years or 4 third years and 3 2nd years. You just have to have the cognitive capacity to realise this and choose whatever combination suits you.

kashmuq

U mad?
Um nope. The minimum requirements already match. The minimum requirements allow room for personalisation. You can opt to do 3 3rd years and 4 2nd years or 4 third years and 3 2nd years. You just have to have the cognitive capacity to realise this and choose whatever combination suits you.

Let's break it down.

Study planner: 3 2nd year and 2 3rd year = 5
Program rules:
3 3rd years and 4 2nd years or 4 third years and 3 2nd years = 7

5 does not = 7. You get that right? Because it doesn't work if the minimum requirements of the study planner and the program requirements are different.

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
Let's break it down.

Study planner: 3 2nd year and 2 3rd year = 5
Program rules:
3 3rd years and 4 2nd years or 4 third years and 3 2nd years = 7

5 does not = 7. You get that right? Because it doesn't work if the minimum requirements of the study planner and the program requirements are different.

Bro again the program states the minimum you could do in either case. You could get away with a minimum of either 2 3rd years or 3 2nd years. You cant get lower than that. Its pretty simple to understand. Note both times it says minimum. It doesnt say that is the number of course you can take as a maximum. Most people would realise that theyd need to take something extra above the minimum to make up the requirements.

Trin

Thanks guys for your answers :)
I have made a draft plan of the papers/courses I wish to take in the next two years using the study planner.
If possible, could you tell me if this is alright?

Year 1 Semester 1
BIOL1020 Genes, Cells and Evolution. Pre-req for major
BIOL1040 Cells to Organisms. Pre-req for major
CHEM1010 Chemistry Highly recommended (CHEM1030 has been replaced by CHEM1010)
STAT 1201 Analysis of Scientific Data. Compulsory for BSc

Year 1 Semester 2
CHEM1020 Chemistry- Energetics and Reactivity Pre-req for major
BIOM2011 Intergrative Cell and Tissue Biology. Highly recommended
BIOM2402 Principles of Pharmacology
MICR2000 Microbiology and Immunology

Year 2 Semester 1
BIOL2200 Cell Structure and Function Pre-req for major
BIOC2000 Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Highly recommended
BIOM3002 Human Biomedical Anatomy
BIOM3401 Systems Pharmacology

Year 2 Semester 2
BIOL2202 Genetics. Highly Recommended
BIO2012 Sysmtes Physiology. Highly recommended
BIOM3003 Functional Musculoskeletal Anatomy
BIOM3015 Integrative Physiology and Pathoyphysiology

Now I have 2 additional questions!
Take BIOM3015 for example (very last one in year 2 semester 2), the pre-req for taking this is BIOM2012. Since I won't have finished BIOM2012 but rather will be studying it at the time, will I still be able to take BIOM3015

Also, do most courses have textbooks? Do we get them once we start going to lectures or during O-week?

Thank you :D

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
Prereqs are baloney. We did BIOM2012 in 1st year sem 2 and did alright. So dont worry about what the prereqs are. Genetics is a crap course. It is not relevant to med and used to be very hard to do as well (though I hear they eased up on the difficulty last sem). Unless you really love anatomy doing 2 third year anatomies isnt going to help. The 1st sem anatomy is helpful I hear (I didnt do it). The 2nd sem one is pretty useless compared to the first sem one). Also what is your aim for these two years? To prepare for med or to enjoy your courses (or both)? You can opt to do some psychology/maths/geography etc and this is probably your last chance to do so before getting into the hardness of med. So take the time to do those sort of things if you want. Dont worry about trying to completely tailor your course for MBBS, most of what you learn in BSc is pretty much useless for med anyways and its gunna be a rather crap way of spending two years if you do these courses solely as preparation in lieu of enjoyment.

kashmuq

U mad?
Don't do BIOC, it's not worth it according to the people I've talked to. Also the 2nd sem anatomy isn't really anatomy - it's looking at the composition of muscles etc totally useless. If you can, do immunology in sem 1, it was a good course and will help in med as well. If I had my time again I would not have done CHEM1030, one of the most useless things I've ever done and totally irrelevant. I would also recommend MICR3001 in 2nd year as it is a great course and also helpful for med. But for the short term, your 1st sem courses look standard.

maddieeer

Lurker
I just did genetics (BIOL2202) and they have made it ALOT easier than the past - I would say its the easiest subject I've done. I think if you enjoy genetics in BIOL1020 you should consider it, but wait until first semester is over before you decide on your 2nd and 3rd year subjects because you will most likely change your mind. If you enjoy maths, MATH1061 would be good to do.

Trin

Thank you all so much for the responses :)
I have decided not to do chem1010(1030) and will do psyc1030 instead.
[MENTION=5614]kashmuq[/MENTION], you are not the only person on the forums that said chem1030 is quite useless. Why do you say this?
The same with BIOC2000, is biochemistry not important in third year courses or later on in MBBS? After reading through another thread, it seems everyone who has done BIOC2000 recommends not taking it. Why is this? Too difficult or simply not needed?

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
CHEM1030 is useless. You dont learn anything new that is worthwile. We did orbitals then bonding shapes then some of that non-organic chemistry (like just figuring out the names of them). Its a terrific waste of time. I already did orbitals and bonding shapes in highschool and the non-organic metallic chemistry stuff was so basic and probs not going to be important for us later on anyway considering most of the stuff we need to know will be organic chem related.

BIOC2000 = I dont know as I havent done it. The usual complaint I heard was that it was too tough and the course wasnt structured well. But yeah I dont know enough to comment further.

kizza_boy

I second GoT re:psyc courses. They are easy, have less contact hours, and are in my opinion genuinely interesting. PSYC1020 and 1030 in particular. I really wouldn't recommend the functional msk anatomy course. I never did it but it sounds useless. And difficult.

Trin

Kizza, I am leaning towards psyc1030 more than 1020. Are they very similar in terms of assessments? What do you have to do specifically in the course and is it difficult compared to say chem1030 in terms of getting a GPA equivalent 4+ grade?

GoT, regarding chem1030, the course outline says you will learn about :
"Quantum numbers, orbitals, & electron configurations. Chemical Bonds. Shapes of molecules. Hybrid orbitals. Functional groups. Stereochemistry of organic molecules. Alkenes, aromatics, organic reactions, carbonyl chemistry. Transition metal compounds, crystal field theory, metalloproteins, metals in medicine."
So some things in there will be organic chemistry related, will they be useful?