Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

BSc Physiology

engapol

I failed OLY1 at Auckland. Got 8.25 core GPA but must've really stuffed up interview cos I didn't even get waitlisted. I'm currently considering switching my Biomed major to Physiology and applying for Grad entry but I have no idea how it all works. So I have to do 4 compulsory medsci/biosci papers and 3 electives+ 1 gened every year? How are the papers compared to stuff like Biosci107 and Medsci142? Do I just go to the student science centre place and get it changed before semester starts?

I found OLY1 pretty tough even with lots of people in the cohort for support and friends (most of which got into med and I won't be seeing much of at uni anymore), and with only the core papers to focus on. I'm really scared of the thought of doing 2 more years which are going to be even more stressful and difficult than OLY1, completing a degree that I don't ultimately want and with just as little certainty as OLY1 with regards to getting into med at the end. Sorry for the essay's it's just I've found the last few days really rough and I foolishly gave little thought to a plan B.

Dino

Lurker
Oh man I feel your sadness! I got a lesser GPA score than you so I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get in by the end of this year because the competition seemed so high. I got the interview as well and it was pretty hard to tell if you did well or not. But 8.25 is AMAZING and I am shocked that they didn't accept people with such a high GPA. Do you by any chance know what the cutoff score was? I thought anything above 8 would guarantee entry :O . Right now I am going to change from biomed to Nutrition or a much easier science major so I can try get as many A+ grades as I can. I heard that in order to change from Biomed you need to see the science centre and they will help you change your major. As for the paper requirements I think they will help you with that as well. I will be doing that next month probably. If you really want to do medicine don't give up! I know the feeling as well. I'm trying my best to see the good side in this and that there is still a possibility of getting in as a grad. Don't lose hope! Make the most out of these 2 years, make new friends, and try enjoy them! But yeah I understand how you feel because I feel pretty bad right now. There are always new things to experience in life and maybe doing these 2 years will give you a better perspective and make you a better doctor or person. Don't lose hope and all the best!!!!!

engapol

There is no cutoff score for guaranteed entry, it depends heavily on interview. I don't know what I said that was so wrong... and I can't think of anything else I'd rather do except medicine. I really hope it's easier to make friends from now on as well...I only had my high school mates this year and now that I've been left behind I'm terrified of slogging through a BSc without people I can relate to and discuss things with.

Dino

Lurker
Oh I didn't realize that!!! I actually thought there would be a cutoff, that sucks so much. What I would recommend is to try take papers that are interesting and somewhat easy to get A+ grades in. Do what you feel will give you the best opportunity at the end and what you would enjoy most. I think you will make friends don't worry! There will probably be allot of people in our position right now. Try your best! Also you can try applying for Otago aswell. just give it some more thought and try doing the best you can in whatever you choose to do. Keep going!
Also I think you can request to see what you scored on your interview and some advice as to why they couldn't offer you a place. That should give you something to focus on improving when you attend the one aft grad.

There is no cutoff score for guaranteed entry, it depends heavily on interview. I don't know what I said that was so wrong... and I can't think of anything else I'd rather do except medicine. I really hope it's easier to make friends from now on as well...I only had my high school mates this year and now that I've been left behind I'm terrified of slogging through a BSc without people I can relate to and discuss things with.

@engapol you will see your med friends very often around grafton. However, the stigma involved during the first few weeks was depressing imo. 2 more years WILL be stressful and you will doubt yourself every so often. You will NOT be alone either. You will realise that are many people going for post grad med and you can easily relate to them. Join the SAMS club and ask for medsci help, do whatever it takes to make the most out of both your studies, social and personal life during the degree. I've experienced many good and bad things from this year and most certainly has matured me a lot.

@Dino You will find that some papers you take although seem easy, you won't enjoy. You can either switch or push through. Also, you definitely have the correct positive mindset to do well across these 2 years!

If you need any help don't hesitate to message me!

Last edited:

Michalka

Hey! I am currently a stage 3 Physiology student in Auckland and I did exactly what you did but a year earlier :) If you want any advice, feel free to ask!

Hanzo

PGY1
Hello, I was wondering what the average GPA is for auckland med for graduate entry because Otago grad entry has been rising up over the past few years!

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
Hello, I was wondering what the average GPA is for auckland med for graduate entry because Otago grad entry has been rising up over the past few years!

It's harder to come up with a specific cut-off for Auckland since the interview and UMAT play a pretty major role, but if you check out this thread: http://medstudentsonline.com.au/forum/threads/2015-auckland-entry-scores-and-offers.30276/ , there are quite a few grads in there which would give you a bit of a feel for the grade requirements. I think generally around 8.0 is pretty safe, but a fair few get in with less than this.