• UCAT results are out! Just kidding, I'm just testing the notices system. Cheers, Mana

Campus Preferences

KIMMI

Hey guys! I have a slight dilemma...

I would 100% prefer to go to Kensington but I (obviously) wouldn't mind being offered a place at Port Macquarie.

I guess the obvious thing to do in the application would be to indicate that I would like to be considered for both campuses but would prefer Kensington.... , however, I'm kind of unsure if they'll really consider my preference...?

So the official UNSW page says:
" UNSW Medicine will allocate students to campuses as follows:
  1. By descending order, applicants who have selected only one campus are allocated until places at this campus are exhausted.
  2. Applicants who have indicated either campus will be proportionally allocated to the campus available at that stage. Where possible, we will take the campus preference into consideration, but again, we cannot guarantee it
"

By this wording, do they mean to say that people who indicate that they ONLY want Kensington would be considered first and foremost before people who prefer Kensington?

If that is the case, should I ONLY indicate that I want Kensington even though it would be harder to get a place?

Sorry if this question is stupid ahsdlkjfasljf..... I'm just struggling a bit here. Help a friend out, please? :)

L

Logic

Hey guys! I have a slight dilemma...

I would 100% prefer to go to Kensington but I (obviously) wouldn't mind being offered a place at Port Macquarie.

I guess the obvious thing to do in the application would be to indicate that I would like to be considered for both campuses but would prefer Kensington.... , however, I'm kind of unsure if they'll really consider my preference...?

So the official UNSW page says:
" UNSW Medicine will allocate students to campuses as follows:
  1. By descending order, applicants who have selected only one campus are allocated until places at this campus are exhausted.
  2. Applicants who have indicated either campus will be proportionally allocated to the campus available at that stage. Where possible, we will take the campus preference into consideration, but again, we cannot guarantee it
"

By this wording, do they mean to say that people who indicate that they ONLY want Kensington would be considered first and foremost before people who prefer Kensington?

If that is the case, should I ONLY indicate that I want Kensington even though it would be harder to get a place?

Sorry if this question is stupid ahsdlkjfasljf..... I'm just struggling a bit here. Help a friend out, please? :)
I believe what happens is that that they rank you all based on your ATAR, UMAT and Interview. Once they have your ranks, they basically allocate in a descending order. So the first ranked person would be given their first preference, then the second etc. There is no difference between the people who say they have a preference for Kensington when compared to someone who only wants Kensington. It only matters when there are say, no Kensington positions left for someone who only wants Kensington, they would be skipped and the next person who put "either but prefers Kensington" would be assigned Port Macquarie. I would call up UNSW to confirm this is how it works (but I am relatively confident that this is how it works as the a large portion of us put both). Best of luck :) (Hope that clarified it and didn't make it more confusing)

KIMMI

I believe what happens is that that they rank you all based on your ATAR, UMAT and Interview. Once they have your ranks, they basically allocate in a descending order. So the first ranked person would be given their first preference, then the second etc. There is no difference between the people who say they have a preference for Kensington when compared to someone who only wants Kensington. It only matters when there are say, no Kensington positions left for someone who only wants Kensington, they would be skipped and the next person who put "either but prefers Kensington" would be assigned Port Macquarie. I would call up UNSW to confirm this is how it works (but I am relatively confident that this is how it works as the a large portion of us put both). Best of luck :) (Hope that clarified it and didn't make it more confusing)
That made HEAPS of sense. Thank you so much for the clarification!!!!