Can NZ permanent resident get into Aust Med School

Discussion in 'NZ General Discussion' started by DoctorAlexander, Apr 8, 2016.

1. DoctorAlexander

DoctorAlexander Member

I think the title is clear

I know that NZ first year is so herrendously competitive, one of my friends said that he might as well to go to med school in Australia or UK to avoid the hell of HSFY and OLY1 (I Know the name already changed, but wtv lol).

He is a NZ citizen... (but I'm only PR)
    Now, I'm not saying I'm intidated or anything but I'm just wondering because most of the Uni in Australia does not accept even NZ PR into their med school.

does anybody here know anything about this??

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Quacks

Quacks Otago MBChB II

What makes you think getting in to med school will be any less competitive in Aus/UK as it is here?

I'm not sure about Aus policy on NZ PR's, but imo med schools in Aus would be just as hard to get into as going for med in NZ via the HSFY or OLY1 pathway..

Unless your NCEA / CIE / IB / whatever converts to a really high ATAR, I'd say your best bet lays here in NZ. Not to mention the fact that even if you do have a really good ATAR and UMAT and get into an aus med school you'll still have to self-fund 5+ years of med school because you won't be eligible for HECS, etc. Re: UK med schools - I have no idea, sorry.

3. DoctorAlexander

DoctorAlexander Member

thanks for replying.

I also thought that going into australian med school will be just as competitive, but one of my friend (he's like me smartest in the whole school) suddenly said about that plan of his to me.

I am not sure if I can believe him, but most probably you're right.. Australian Med school is just as competitive as the NZ one.

I'm just wondering about the possibility though.. I've never thought about going to Austalian Uni before so I think it might be a good experience to at least consider.

and what about this ATAR you're talking??

my predicted CIE result would be at least 2 A and 1 A*

is that enough??

4. Rob

Rob Auckland MBChB III Moderator

I'm in FY biomed this year, and it really isn't that bad. I'm far from a genius and I am finding the workload pretty manageable so far, so if he is the smartest in your school he should be fine. I second Quacks' comment - I doubt Australia would be any easier, and the job market for Australian graduates is pretty harsh compared to NZ from what I've heard. Studying here will be your/his best bet.

Dinahlady and Quacks like this.
  5. Quacks

Quacks Otago MBChB II

ATAR is the Australian Tertiary Admission Ranking that is used for uni applications.

I don't know much about how CIE converts to ATAR, but the standard is very high. An ATAR of 99 is top 1%.
    You might want to do a bit of looking around other threads to get an idea of how this conversion goes, I'm sure there are a few mso members that have got into Aus med schools via CIE, but it would be a good idea to get a grasp of what kind of results you need.

Ok so if you're the 'smartest in the whole school' then you should be ok ATAR wise, but you've still got a few more things to worry about. Firstly, the UMAT you will have to take in year 13 which is in July. If you were to do HSFY or OLY1 then you wouldn't have to sit this until next year, but most Aus unis require UMAT and it plays a MUCH bigger role in admission to Aus med schools than it does in Auckland or Otago.

Another factor is that if you get an offer for an interview (not all Aus unis have an interview though) then you'd have to be willing to fly over for that and fork out some extra cash.

Then the major predicament, say if you did get in, you'd have to find a way to fund an entire medical degree + living costs on your own without HECS (unless you have extremely generous parents :p)

6. DoctorAlexander

DoctorAlexander Member

you're probably right...
    as for now, I'm just curious about the possibility. So I'm researching about Australian med school right now,

Because my knowledge about it is very limited haha

7. DoctorAlexander

DoctorAlexander Member

wait whatt???!! No I'm NOT the smartest in my school (that would be a dream lol) XD

What I said is that my classmate (who is very very very smart) suddenly said that he plan to avoid HSFY and go to australia,

so I'm kinda freaked out lol.

I looked at some website, and a 360 (A A A) CIE equals 99.5 ATAR...

now, I'm quite nervous about sitting UMAT this july tho

thanks for your help <3!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  8. pi

pi Junior doctor Moderator

Junior doctor
    I've actually heard from my NZ colleagues that the conversion to ATAR is usually quite favourable :)

Quacks likes this.
  9. babby

babby New Member

Hi MSO :) this is my first post
    I'm thinking of applying to medicine in Australia as a New Zealand citizen.
    Does anyone have any idea how NCEA is converted to ATAR? Is English weighted more heavily than other subjects?
    I did okay at NCEA last year, 75 Excellences, but most of those were in English and French rather than the sciences... Does that matter?
    Do I have a chance at getting a high ATAR if I get similar marks this year?

10. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    This is the only conversion info we've found, by South Aus SATAC. Not sure similar or not in the other states
    http://www.satac.edu.au/documents/factsheet_ugselection--3.pdf (pages 5 & 6)

Three unis here don't include an interview. Griffith's 2016 cutoff for a place was 99.80, no UMAT. Flinders 99.85, UMAT counts 10%. UQ requires 99.0+ then cuts off on overall UMAT score around 91%ile.

The British A conversion gives equiv ATARs with large gaps in between. Probably okay with UQ but with GU & Flinders' cutoffs going to two decimal places we don't know how they resolve. A person from NZ asked GU last year but the answer didn't make any clearer.

11. Quacks

Quacks Otago MBChB II

Welcome to MSO @babby :)
    I'm pretty sure all university approved subjects are weighted equally, they just take the best 90 level 3 credits over the last 2 years.
    NZQA sends your NCEA level 3 results to the relevant Australian TAC or UAC, who convert it to ATAR. http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificati...entrance/entrance-to-australian-universities/

Note: For your application to be considered:
    • you must achieve New Zealand University Entrance
    • you must have achieved results in a minimum of three (3) subjects from the University Entrance approved list
    • your results from your best 90 Level 3 credits over the last two years are used to calculate your ATAR score with precedence given to standards in subjects on the University Entrance approved list.

12. Benjamin

Benjamin Resident (JCU MBBS) Administrar

A few things to consider coming to Australia to study as a NZ national:

i) You are considered eligible for commonwealth supported places (i.e. not full-fee) but you are ineligible for HECS/the Australian student loans. This means that you have to pay your course fees upfront each semester/year. In all (I think!) Australian universities Medicine is considered a Band 3 student contribution subject which means each semester is $3,915.
    ii) In terms of internship you are considered as an Australian citizen but you need to keep in mind that for most cases the priority system is as follows:
    P1 - AUS/NZ citizen who studied medicine in that state
    P2 - AUS/NZ citizen who studied medicine in another state but went to highschool in the state they're applying in - i.e. highschool in NSW, studied med in QLD
    P3 - AUS/NZ citizen who studied medicine in another AU state - i.e. highschool in NZ, medicine in QLD
    P4 - internationals and so forth

The crux of this point being that given you didn't go to highschool in an australian state you will 99.99% end up doing your internship +/- 1-2 years after that in the state you study medicine in.

13. DoctorAlexander

DoctorAlexander Member

thanks!! you're very helpful :)

that 91%ile UMAT tho.. that's almost impossible LMAO

14. DoctorAlexander

DoctorAlexander Member

Thank you for your response, but do you know anything about NZ Permanent Residents??

Can They go to Australia Med School as well?

15. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    I just looked, bad news NZ PRs can only apply as international full-fee students.

16. Stuart

Stuart Moderator Moderator

I am quite certain that you need to be a NZ citizen, like A1 said.

DoctorAlexander likes this.
  17. DoctorAlexander

DoctorAlexander Member

Ooh damn it! LOL

Okayy thankssss

18. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer (UNDS MBBS) Administrar

Junior Medical Officer
    NZ citizens get granted automatic Australian permanent residency which is why it's essentially the same category.

However, NZ permanent residents without NZ citizenship do not get granted Australian permanent residency. If you have lived in NZ for 5 years though the easiest way to get around this problem is simply to become an NZ citizen.

DoctorAlexander likes this.
  19. Benjamin

Benjamin Resident (JCU MBBS) Administrar

Afraid I don't know how a NZ permanent resident qualifies in terms of internship or in terms of whether they are a domestic or international student. I would presume that if you are a citizen of another country (i.e. not Aus or NZ) then you would technically be considered as an international student. My advice would be to contact a few med schools admission staff and ask them directly.

20. DoctorAlexander

DoctorAlexander Member

Yep, I contacted UQ and Griffith, you're right

Only Australian and NZ citizens are considered domestic