• UCAT results are out! Just kidding, I'm just testing the notices system. Cheers, Mana

Canadian Applying to Australian Dental Schools

A-A-Ron

To whom it may concern,

I am a British Columbia citizen who is trying to get into dental school, unfortunately I did not get into any Canadian Universities this year. I have completed a bachelor of science degree, and have now applied to a few Australian Dental Schools. From my understanding if I complete a dental program at these Australian schools I will be qualified to practice dentistry in Canada. However, if I complete one of the 5 year dental programs at either Charles Sturt or James Cook University in Australia, I will achieve a bachelor of dental science or bachelor of dental surgery respectively. What I would like to know, is if I complete one of these degrees, will I be qualified academically to be able to come back to Canada and apply and get into a dental specialty program at UBC such as periodontics or orthodontics?

Thank you,

AA1121

To whom it may concern,

I am a British Columbia citizen who is trying to get into dental school, unfortunately I did not get into any Canadian Universities this year. I have completed a bachelor of science degree, and have now applied to a few Australian Dental Schools. From my understanding if I complete a dental program at these Australian schools I will be qualified to practice dentistry in Canada. However, if I complete one of the 5 year dental programs at either Charles Sturt or James Cook University in Australia, I will achieve a bachelor of dental science or bachelor of dental surgery respectively. What I would like to know, is if I complete one of these degrees, will I be qualified academically to be able to come back to Canada and apply and get into a dental specialty program at UBC such as periodontics or orthodontics?

Thank you,
Hey. Both of the undergraduate degrees are accredited so all you have to do is write the NDEB exam. However, this only applies if you are going to work as a general dentist. You can specialize in Australia but it won't carry over to Canada. You will have to apply to the programs here but from what I have heard it is not easy getting into the specialty program in Canada for someone who studied abroad. If you are serious about specializing, studying in Canada would be a better option. You can double check by calling the British Columbia dental association and they should be able to offer you advice on the requirements

A-A-Ron

Thank you for the info, do you have any idea if it would be easier to get into a specialty program in Canada if I were to complete a doctor of dental medicine at the University of Sydney or Doctor of Dental Medicine at Melbourne as opposed to the 5 year bachelor degrees?

AA1121

Hey. It would still be difficult getting into the specialty programs, even with the degree from Sydney. Both the 4 and 5 year degrees allow you to work as a general dentist. The only difference is whether you will get an undergraduate degree or a postgraduate degree, which if you work as a general dentist would not make much difference. Again for the specialty programs, they have a limited number of spots available, which mostly go to students graduating from Canadian Dental Schools. If you are serious about specializing, I think it would be more beneficial applying to Canadian schools. There are dentists who studied abroad and were able to specialize here, but from what I know the seats are limited, so it is going to be very competitive. Try emailing or calling the dental association of British Columbia, they should have more detail about the number of places available.