Canadian to Australia

Discussion in 'International Students' started by Caffeinemia, May 4, 2018.

1. Caffeinemia

Caffeinemia New Member

Hi everybody,

I am used to another forum which is primarily American but is identical to this; I think this forum is a product of said site. Anyways, I'm just looking to hear from Canadians who have been accepted to Australian medical schools and get some perspective on the process as a whole. I am working as an RN right now in Canada and unfortunately I do not have the GPA to compete (Canadian med schools are a bit crazy, some having an average entrance GPA of 3.9 on a 4.0 scale). So I am now looking into international options. If anybody has any insight it would be appreciated.

I will be studying for the GAMSAT and writing it in September so I may apply for 2020

Thanks

2. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    Hi welcome to MSO. There are 12 grad schools here. Aus students do one common application via GEMSAS for 10 of them plus separate applications directly to USyd & Flinders. However I believe international students do separate direct applications to each school.

Due to fewer competitors entrance scores for int'l students are generally lower than for Aus students. As an example UQ sets a GPA hurdle of 5.0 out of 7 (not sure how that converts to the 4-scale but I guess around 3.0-3.2), then selection is based on GAMSAT. Int'l students have got in with 67 vs Aus students 72+. Downside is tuition fee alone is 65-70K per year, and it's not certain you will get an Aus internship on graduation.

There's no interview at UQ if you apply this year. From next year for 2020 intake it looks like there will be an interview as part of UQ selection criteria. For the other schools you'll find a lot more info at pagingdr forum. All the best.

Tomato likes this.
  3. Tomato

Tomato New Member

From 2020 for 2021 intake there will be an MMI as part of UQ Med selection criteria.

4. Caffeinemia

Caffeinemia New Member

A1 Tomato ,

Thanks for the information; that's not a huge factor for me as I know that I will do well on an interview and interviews are common with 98% of medical schools

As for the statistics, 5.0 is equivalent to 2.7 GPA in Canada and i've heard from a few sources that getting a GAMSAT score in the 50 has landed them a spot at some programs (UQ included). I guess at the end of the day it's a little bit of luck and applying early to increase said odds.

5. selangor

selangor New Member

Look into Ozztrekk . They can help you to get the application going . Wollongong is also a very good school for Canadians . They have to my knowledge 100% matching for Canadians. They do come to Toronto and Vancouver and maybe you can email Lyndal to get more information. If you are looking to get in for 2020 then now us the best time for you to contact them as they fill up very early .Good Luck

6. Caffeinemia

Caffeinemia New Member

Hey thanks for the reply.

I have contacted Oztrekk and will undoubtedly be using their services come application time- although I will have to apply to other schools who are independent of Oztrekk via their own method. I am planning to write the GAMSAT this September and apply to all of the four year programs that I am eligible for. You suggest messaging admissions now? It seems a bit early ; if you could elaborate on this I would appreciate it. The more tips/advice the better!

Thanks again

7. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    Definitely better to contact admissions early - during peak season you might end up with a late reply.

8. Caffeinemia

Caffeinemia New Member

Hi Mana,

If I am to apply for 2020, what do you suggest I contact the schools about now? Unfortunately most schools only have 2019 admission content covered on their websites so I was planning on waiting until that is updated for 2020

9. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    Very little changes between years in most years.

10. Caffeinemia

Caffeinemia New Member

Good to know. Thank you

11. selangor

selangor New Member

The admission people do come here twice a year . Should be anytime now . Google or messsge them .You can prepare your portfolio and all info is on their website and email them early . So when they do come you can meet and have the interview or via Skype, if granted and if they like you they can accept you pending on your final scores. They take in roughly 14 Canadians I’ve heard or less so there is no harm for you to send the application early.

Lynda is the best person for you to email and start the process . She is in many postings in lots of forum including this so getting her email should not be difficult.

12. Caffeinemia

Caffeinemia New Member

Hey,

Sent you a PM. Thanks!

13. DentalPerfectionist

DentalPerfectionist New Member

Med in australia isn't too competitive if you are an international applicant from Canada. I know people that have got in with 3.2's . The reason is because it may be difficult to go back to Canada to practice due to agreements and residencies, etc.

14. Caffeinemia

Caffeinemia New Member

From what i've been told, if you meet the cutoffs and interview well, you're almost guaranteed a spot if you apply early. I am somebody who also wants to practice in a rural area so I think that will benefit my application