Career Prospects for Optometry

Hi everyone,

I was just wandering how the prospects are looking for optometry in the near future and the salary cap I would most likely hit as i progress in the field. Also Is opening private practices no longer a viable option?

fxjeep

Lurker
I have same doubt too. It seems that the graduate salary for optometry has been declining since 2016, but ATAR entry to 5 Year UNSW optom was still high in 2020 (99.2).

2xq

Allied Health Member
I have same doubt too. It seems that the graduate salary for optometry has been declining since 2016, but ATAR entry to 5 Year UNSW optom was still high in 2020 (99.2).
Hi there!

Entry requirements for courses vary by demand. The higher the demand for a certain constant number of places, the harder it is to get in. This leads to a higher entry score/ higher ATAR/external criteria needed to gain an offer. This will apply to the majority of courses out there.
You're right to point out that there is no direct correlation between graduate salary and entry requirements. That's simply because the entry requirements for courses vary by demand and not by what you will be after you graduate.

Hope this clears things up!

Last edited:

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Well its not only demand but also supply... if course entry marks are going down it could mean theres alot more supply and that could be potentially worrying for job prospects.