Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Chances of getting into Optometry?

LKC

Lurker
Hi.
I was wondering what my chances are of getting into optometry anywhere (QUT, Flinders, UNSW or Deakin)

I got an ATAR of 96.4
and a UMAT of 50 (46 percentile)

I understand I'm not going to get UNSW with my results.

I am also considered rural.

Thanks for your time ^_^

Being Rural too I got into Optom at Flinders with a UMAT in the 70th percentile and an ATAR of 89.8 (thankyou bonus points and Rural sub-quota!).

Also, I think with the Flinders course that your UMAT score is only weighted at 10% and your ATAR 90% in entry consideration.

So I think at Flinders your chances would be pretty good. :)

justmed

I had offer at UNSW with ATAR 98.80 and UMAT 54 ( 71 % )

Last edited:

Wants2bDr

MBBS II
I know a guy planning to lie and say he lived in Griffith for 5 yrs and apply for rural sub quota. If he's caught, do they just fine? Has this happened to anyone you know?

I know a guy planning to lie and say he lived in Griffith for 5 yrs and apply for rural sub quota. If he's caught, do they just fine? Has this happened to anyone you know?
Gee, if someone is going to resort to such unethical behavior to be admitted to optometry school, I'd rather not have them as my optometrist.

Not only would they be lying, but others would be complicit to this fraud too. They do, after all, have reference letters or testimonials to attempt to validate or verify these facts, yes?

If and when caught for this act, precisely what happens depends on multiple factors and considerations. However, safe to say, universities (a term that, when I use it here, encompasses admissions bodies, faculties, chancelleries, governing bodies, and the like) have no recourse but to suspend or terminate a person's candidature or revoke degrees. If applying for a school and the falsehood is brought to light, a person may have their application considered or not considered. He or she may be barred from ever being admitted or ever applying again.

Under Statutory Declarations Act 1959 (Cth), specifically S 11, it is an offence to intentionally make a false statement in a statutory declaration. It is therefore possible that, if the fraud is exposed, a person claiming that he or she lived in Griffith for 5 y. may be prosecuted under this Act.

Would it really be reasonable to run the gamut of possibilities?

I know of people who have lied to try to get into medical or dental school. I know of people who have been prosecuted under the aforementioned Act as well.