JCU Chances of JCU Dent?

Discussion in 'James Cook University' started by Acing, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Acing

Acing New Member

Hi everyone,

I got an ATAR of 99.65 and am from Sydney. Assuming I managed a half-decent application, do I have a chance of getting into JCU Dent? I've got no special considerations.

Thank you!

2. Niko99

Niko99 New Member

Quite high since your ATAR is high, but it all boils down mainly to your written application.

3. skm2000

skm2000 Member

Sorry for stealing this thread.

Hi Everyone,

I am a WA non-rural school leaver applicant. My actual atar is 98.55. Being called for an interview for the JCU medicine program, I feel that my written application was strong(which was tailored for both med and dent at jcu, no particular bias towards one course). What is the typical atar requirement for someone with a strong written application and from a non-rural background? Is my atar on the lower side for JCU dentistry?

4. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    Last year, here at MSO, there were three reported JCU MED offers for applicants in the 98.+ region. 98.60 got an unbonded offer. 98.30 and 98.10 also got offers (though unsure of offer type). Academically, you’re competitive for Med. I’d assume you’d also be competitive for Dent, but I’m not sure we’ve got much offer data.

skm2000 likes this.
  5. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    Considering place ratio is 1 in 4 and 98.55 is minority relative to the 99s, a good performance is enough if the large majority of interviewees did less than good. That is unlikely so I'd say you need a fair bit more than good. But why worry about it now, nothing you can do to change so just wait for the offer round, who knows the interviewers might have given you an outstanding mark.

Cookie and skm2000 like this.
  6. Leroetron

Leroetron New Member

Hi
    Could you advise me what experience do I need to have a strong written component and it is very hard to have work experience in health related area?
    Thanks

7. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer (UNDS MBBS) Administrar

Junior Medical Officer
    Here are some things that will strongly improve the written component for your application to JCU:
    1. Having lived a large proportion of your life (~4+ years) in a rural or remote location
    2. Having had a reasonable period (i.e. at least ~1 month+) of firsthand experience with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander healthcare (generally also in the rural or remote setting)
    3. Having had a reasonable period (i.e. at least ~1 month+) firsthand experience working in the tropical medicine healthcare setting
    4. Being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background

JMP Lova likes this.