Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU JCU Dentistry: Academic Requirements

BuZzle

Hi all! I am wondering what is the approximate ATAR/OP rank cut-off for JCU Dentistry as I am worried I won't be able to reach the desired rank before or after my written application is considered. I have heard ATARs around 98.4 being accepted with the written application, but I'm not sure if I can even get that high since I didn't do as well as I liked in my trials. If anybody can get back to me on this that would be greatly appreciated!

Warm regards,

BuZzle

smartgirl

Hi all! I am wondering what is the approximate ATAR/OP rank cut-off for JCU Dentistry as I am worried I won't be able to reach the desired rank before or after my written application is considered. I have heard ATARs around 98.4 being accepted with the written application, but I'm not sure if I can even get that high since I didn't do as well as I liked in my trials. If anybody can get back to me on this that would be greatly appreciated!

Warm regards,

BuZzle
I was told by a student studying Dentistry that the cut off is an OP 4 but it is possible to get in with a 5 as long as your written application is great!

jiaxing

Hi everyone!

I’ve researched quite a bit on MSO for the past GPAs that students have got to get into Dentistry at JCU. However, I can’t find much; most of MSO is dedicated to Medicine.

So, if there’s anybody out there who is doing Dentistry at JCU, could you please let me know what GPA is ideal for entry (assuming you have a decent application)?

PS. I’m non-rural, from Sydney, and have over 3 weeks experience shadowing dentists (one of these is a rural overseas experience).

Austin

A 5.5 is the minimum to get an interview. I think I've seen some offers given on this GPA considering very strong interviews and written apps.

ajs604

Hi I have a GPA of 5.31. I was told if I had a good application and interview I may stand a chance on getting an interview. Have I been mislead?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Hi I have a GPA of 5.31. I was told if I had a good application and interview I may stand a chance on getting an interview. Have I been mislead?

No, but you might want to know that having a 'good' application for JCU with that GPA usually means you have spent a large portion of your life living in a rural setting - especially rural QLD - as well as having reasonable experience with the Indigenous Australian population. If you don't fulfill either of those, it's going to be pretty damn hard to make an application strong enough to offset a GPA of 5.3.

Acing

Hi everyone,

I got an ATAR of 99.65 and am from Sydney. Assuming I managed a half-decent application, do I have a chance of getting into JCU Dent? I've got no special considerations.

Thank you!

skm2000

Sorry for stealing this thread.

Hi Everyone,

I am a WA non-rural school leaver applicant. My actual atar is 98.55. Being called for an interview for the JCU medicine program, I feel that my written application was strong(which was tailored for both med and dent at jcu, no particular bias towards one course). What is the typical atar requirement for someone with a strong written application and from a non-rural background? Is my atar on the lower side for JCU dentistry?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Sorry for stealing this thread.

Hi Everyone,

I am a WA non-rural school leaver applicant. My actual atar is 98.55. Being called for an interview for the JCU medicine program, I feel that my written application was strong(which was tailored for both med and dent at jcu, no particular bias towards one course). What is the typical atar requirement for someone with a strong written application and from a non-rural background? Is my atar on the lower side for JCU dentistry?

Last year, here at MSO, there were three reported JCU MED offers for applicants in the 98.+ region. 98.60 got an unbonded offer. 98.30 and 98.10 also got offers (though unsure of offer type). Academically, you’re competitive for Med. I’d assume you’d also be competitive for Dent, but I’m not sure we’ve got much offer data.

A1

Rookie Doc
I am a WA non-rural school leaver applicant and attended the first round interview on 30th november. My predicted atar was 99.05 and my actual atar is 98.55. I feel like my interview went quite well. I am a bit concerned that my actual atar of 98.55( being lower than the predicted) maybe a bit low for admission into the 2018 JCU medicine program. Having this atar, is it necessary for my interview to be absolutely outstanding or can I get away with a "good" performance?

Considering place ratio is 1 in 4 and 98.55 is minority relative to the 99s, a good performance is enough if the large majority of interviewees did less than good. That is unlikely so I'd say you need a fair bit more than good. But why worry about it now, nothing you can do to change so just wait for the offer round, who knows the interviewers might have given you an outstanding mark.

Leroetron

Lurker
Quite high since your ATAR is high, but it all boils down mainly to your written application.
Hi
Could you advise me what experience do I need to have a strong written component and it is very hard to have work experience in health related area?
Thanks

Mana

Administrator
Hi
Could you advise me what experience do I need to have a strong written component and it is very hard to have work experience in health related area?
Thanks

Here are some things that will strongly improve the written component for your application to JCU:
1. Having lived a large proportion of your life (~4+ years) in a rural or remote location
2. Having had a reasonable period (i.e. at least ~1 month+) of firsthand experience with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander healthcare (generally also in the rural or remote setting)
3. Having had a reasonable period (i.e. at least ~1 month+) firsthand experience working in the tropical medicine healthcare setting
4. Being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background

Mana

Administrator
Hi guys, I am from melbourne arrived about 2 years ago from middle-east on Humantarian visa, my dream is to become a dentist, i think i am gonna get ATAR something between (80-95), what are my chances to get a place at jamescook dentistry?

This, like for JCU medicine, is highly dependent on two things:

1. How strong your application is, and
2. How high your ATAR is.

Given the demand for JCU dentistry (and the lack of requirement of UMAT for it), you're going to have to have an absolutely stellar application to get admission if you manage to get an ATAR of 95.

If your ATAR is much lower than that, you are probably going to have to consider either doing the UMAT (and getting into other dentistry programs - notably all of which would require at least a similar ATAR), or doing graduate entry dentistry (through the GAMSAT pathway or using a degree's marks to apply as a non-standard Dentistry applicant), or choosing a different career.

Mana

Administrator
oh by the way, I am not doing UMAT because I am new and its really busy for me in the new country. thanks

Then you may want to reconsider your career choice. If you are too busy to pursue opportunities to get into dentistry, of which the UMAT is easily the method which opens up the most opportunities, then, you are probably too busy to study dentistry in the first place.

The UMAT is a three hour test. Studying dentistry is a five year, full time degree. If you can't set aside three hours for a test to get in, you definitely, definitely can't set aside five years to study dentistry.

L

Logic

no, i believe I can manage dentistry, the second reason why I am not doing UMAT is because I knew about it recently in term 2! and if i compare to other school students they are studying UMAT since year10! cannot compare in the UMAT performance but I am managing to do almost well in normal HARD subjects.
You don't need any knowledge for UMAT, and also it's quite arguable that studying for it can help you do better. It's more of a test of innate ability. I strongly suggest you give it a go if you're able to. I know people who have studied for it for months and failed while others just went in and did well. Not doing it, restricts where you're able to apply.

Mana

Administrator
no, i believe I can manage dentistry, the second reason why I am not doing UMAT is because I knew about it recently in term 2! and if i compare to other school students they are studying UMAT since year10! cannot compare in the UMAT performance but I am managing to do almost well in normal HARD subjects.

Some people do zero study for the UMAT and still get 100%ile. The nature of the test is that it is meant to be an exam that you can't study for - i.e. it's a test that attempts to test your intrinsic ability, rather than your ability to study.

Mana

Administrator
if i was in australia earlier by one year or if i have someone to guide me in this country, I would SMASH the UMAT but unfortunately not!

If you are so confident about this, then you can just take the UMAT and then take the UMAT again in the next year when you have had the extra year here - there is no limit on how many times you can take it.

Mana

Administrator
well, i am thinking if i did not get into Jamescook the uni in rural area then absolutely i will not get a place in a metro area where UMAT is required!

The way the UMAT works is that it often offsets the required ATAR to get in. Since James Cook doesn't use the UMAT, the requisite ATAR to get in is quite high - whereas for Adelaide University, there is only an ATAR cutoff (which is around the low 90's) after which the interview (and UMAT) is used for admission.

That said, you're probably right - certainly the metropolitan dental schools (or rather the ones in capital cities) have higher demand for them than the more regional ones.