Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO Changes to Scoring for Health Sciences Professional Programmes

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Notice: They keep changing the rules. The following information is not up-to-date. For now, the important thing is that the rules will be changing. You should consult with the admissions directly for any specific enquiries.

Hi,

The scoring rules are set to change soon at Otago. The change will affect the 'Two or More Years of Study' category for Medical Laboratory Science, Pharmacy and Physiotherapy, and the 'Graduate' category for Dentistry, Medical Laboratory Science, Medicine, Pharmacy and Physiotherapy.

This is a substantial change and one should take note of it if they are used to the current rules. Fortunately, the change will not affect most of the applicants who are working on their course right now. HSFYers starting in 2019 will be affected if they choose to take the graduate category pathway after HSFY.

From 2019, admissions scoring for the Two or More Years of Study admissions category will change.

The following programmes will be affected:

• Medical Laboratory Science
  • Pharmacy
  • Physiotherapy
The new rules for scoring the Two or More Years of Study admissions category will be:

1. Best 120 points at 100-level scored,
  2. 3 × 200-level papers scored,
  3. Balance of the 240 points from the best scoring remaining papers,
  4. With 100-level papers weighted × 0.5, and all other papers weighted at × 1.5.

From 2020, admissions scoring for the Graduate admissions category will change.

The following programmes will be affected:

• Dentistry
  • Medical Laboratory Science
  • Medicine
  • Pharmacy
  • Physiotherapy
The new rules for scoring the Graduate admissions category will be:

1. Total points scored would be as per the requirement for the relevant degree (typically 360 points for a three-year degree).
  2. Using the regulations for a standard three-year Otago Bachelor's degree as an example, the admission score would be calculated as follows, in order of precedence:
    1. Best scoring (minimum of) 72 points (rounded up to the nearest paper) at 300-level,
    2. All 300-level papers that score better than any 200- or 100-level paper (up to a maximum of 8 papers)
    3. Best scoring (minimum of) 108 points (rounded up to the nearest paper) at 200-level,
    4. All 200-level papers that score better than any 100-level paper,
    5. Add in 100-level papers to 360 points (pro-rated for the lowest scoring 100-level paper if required).

Last edited:
Hi I was just wondering if the 2 or more years of study weighting for pharmacy is starting this year as I have a friend for 2018 entry is going to be like how you have stated?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi I was just wondering if the 2 or more years of study weighting for pharmacy is starting this year as I have a friend for 2018 entry is going to be like how you have stated?

Hi,

I am not entirely sure what you are trying to ask.

Are you asking if the new rules would affect your friend who would be applying for BPharm via Two or More Years of Study category in 2018 (for 2019 start)?
If so, the answer is a no. The new rules will affect those who apply in 2019 (for 2020 start).

Dinahlady

Hey, I have more info on the grad entry path if anyone's confused about how it works. Also the health sciences admission dept that are on the ground floor of the physio school are really helpful to pop into any time - they have always seen me right away or made an appt time and are always happy to answer qs.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hey, I have more info on the grad entry path if anyone's confused about how it works. Also the health sciences admission dept that are on the ground floor of the physio school are really helpful to pop into any time - they have always seen me right away or made an appt time and are always happy to answer qs.

Hi,

How do you mean by more information? More than what is offered on the website? Would you care to share publicly?

Apple!

Seems sensible enough. I'm a little biased though, I think this is essentially how my GPA was calculated :D

rustyedges

So the ideal strategy is to take the minimum four 300 level papers, then six 200, then stack the rest of the degree with 100 level -especially in third year, so long as it meets the degree requirements.

Whoops never mind

Last edited:

Dinahlady

So the ideal strategy is to take the minimum four 300 level papers, then six 200, then stack the rest of the degree with 100 level -especially in third year, so long as it meets the degree requirements.

No, pretty much the opposite of what you're saying.

300 level papers are weighted 1.5, you have to take a minimum of 4 of these and a maximum of 8
200 level papers are weighted 1, you have to take a minimum of 6 of these, I dont know if there is a maximum.
100 level papers are weighted 0.5, you obviously have to take a minimum of 6 of these for health sci, I think the max is 8 or 10.

They take the best 360 points from that scheme - prioritising the higher level papers which obviously get you the best marks.

So Been playing around with the numbers and the best way to score highly is to take more 300 and 200 level papers. Obviously being worth 1.5 x the 300 levels are worth the most. The more 200 levels you take the less 100s will be credited at 0.5x.

rustyedges

No, pretty much the opposite of what you're saying.

300 level papers are weighted 1.5, you have to take a minimum of 4 of these and a maximum of 8
200 level papers are weighted 1, you have to take a minimum of 6 of these, I dont know if there is a maximum.
100 level papers are weighted 0.5, you obviously have to take a minimum of 6 of these for health sci, I think the max is 8 or 10.

They take the best 360 points from that scheme - prioritising the higher level papers which obviously get you the best marks.

So Been playing around with the numbers and the best way to score highly is to take more 300 and 200 level papers. Obviously being worth 1.5 x the 300 levels are worth the most. The more 200 levels you take the less 100s will be credited at 0.5x.

Oh wait, they aren't weighted equally?

Apple!

My understanding is that there is still higher weighting on more advanced study, it's just that they no longer use the calendar year the study was done in as the method of applying this weighting. They apply it instead based on the level of study. Dinahlady is that your understanding?

Dinahlady

No, the lady from health sciences explained to me today that they are weighted like I said - 1.5x for 300 level, 1 x for 200 level, and 0.5 for 100 level.
So unless she is mistaken - but I think she was important she knew a lot of stuff about the changes and reasons behind them, which are to break down the year barriers and to stop people trying to do a load of 100 levels, and instead for people to focus on getting the most out of the 3-year degree basically.
She said at this stage they just want to notify that there are going to be changes and they are going to put out a calculation etc later.

rustyedges

My understanding is that there is still higher weighting on more advanced study, it's just that they no longer use the calendar year the study was done in as the method of applying this weighting. They apply it instead based on the level of study. Dinahlady is that your understanding?

No, the lady from health sciences explained to me today that they are weighted like I said - 1.5x for 300 level, 1 x for 200 level, and 0.5 for 100 level.
So unless she is mistaken - but I think she was important she knew a lot of stuff about the changes and reasons behind them, which are to break down the year barriers and to stop people trying to do a load of 100 levels, and instead for people to focus on getting the most out of the 3-year degree basically.
She said at this stage they just want to notify that there are going to be changes and they are going to put out a calculation etc later.

Ah my bad! It didn't say that on the changes. Yes then if they are weighted, best to do the minimum 100 and 200 level, and then do as many 300 as you can fit in haha.

acbard9

Auckland MBChB

Have example calculations been released? I'm finding it difficult to imagine the points and weightings using the new changes.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Have example calculations been released? I'm finding it difficult to imagine the points and weightings using the new changes.

Hi,

They have not yet released it as far as I know. It is plausible that they are still working on the chancges. I can't imagine the calculation being much more complicated than the current one though.

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
I assume this is the criteria for a 3-year degree? How would it work for students that take 4-/5-years to complete their degrees (Assuming 4 and 5 years are the minimum amount of time for those students to finish their degrees)?

EtA: What happens to Stage 3 papers that do not score higher than any Stage 2 or 1 paper? It suddenly doesn't count? :O

Last edited:

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
I assume this is the criteria for a 3-year degree? How would it work for students that take 4-/5-years to complete their degrees (Assuming 4 and 5 years are the minimum amount of time for those students to finish their degrees)?

Hi acbard9,

It is not very clear how they will implement it for those who take longer to finish a degree. It is possible they will just use the 360 points as per the requirement.

Gemma

Hi acbard9,

It is not very clear how they will implement it for those who take longer to finish a degree. It is possible they will just use the 360 points as per the requirement.

Hi Stuart, my degree (BSci majoring in Neuro and Psyc) will be 4 years total (finishing end of 2020) due to changing degrees mid way. The admissions office said that they will score my degree the same way (taking best 360 points over the 4 years). I assume that this gives people taking 4 years to do their degree an advantage as they don't need to fit in 7-8 300 level papers in 1 year and can instead spread them out?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi Stuart, my degree (BSci majoring in Neuro and Psyc) will be 4 years total (finishing end of 2020) due to changing degrees mid way. The admissions office said that they will score my degree the same way (taking best 360 points over the 4 years). I assume that this gives people taking 4 years to do their degree an advantage as they don't need to fit in 7-8 300 level papers in 1 year and can instead spread them out?

Hi Gemma,

Yes, that could give some advantage, not necessarily, though. It will depend on how you organie your papers and what you actually achieve in them. If you have noticed, life doesn't always go so smoothly. In general, there seems to be a correlation between low(er) academic performances and taking long(er) to finish a degree. A lot of people change their degree because they don't like it and/or they can't do well in it. I think if you use the opportunity wisely, it can definitely help you do well - I have at least one anecdote.

Good luck.

nz_637

Hey guys,
I emailed the Admissions Office earlier regarding a scoring example. This what they sent back to me, hopefully this helps a couple of peeps out :)

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 12.22.22 PM.png

- Edited by a moderator -
Hey! Im just in the process of selecting my papers for my second year this year and was just wondering, looking at this scoring example, do you need to take 16 papers from 1st and 2nd year cause i only took the 7 in health sci and want to only take 7 this year.