• UCAT results are out! Just kidding, I'm just testing the notices system. Cheers, Mana

Changing from BDSc --> BDSc (Hons). What's new?

Laine

UQ's dent degree changed from a normal BDSc to a BDSc (Hons) - what, if anything, did the change do?

ElleWhy

This could be wrong but I asked a second year student and she said that it was simply that the GPA you get at the end of fifth year now includes your first year GPA. Apparently, your accumulative GPA when you graduate didn't use to count what you achieved in the first year.

I apologise in advance if this is inaccurate.

laerla

This could be wrong but I asked a second year student and she said that it was simply that the GPA you get at the end of fifth year now includes your first year GPA. Apparently, your accumulative GPA when you graduate didn't use to count what you achieved in the first year.

I apologise in advance if this is inaccurate.
Yes it is just a difference in the way they calculate your GPA for your degree, and also the fact that you will automatically get honours no matter what kind of marks you get, whereas the BDSc before there was a minimum GPA needed to be awarded honours

coarses

I just graduated last year (so it might have changed since I started), but don't slack off in 1st year, every year counted towards GPA! The everyone-gets-honours didn't apply to my year, but as far as I know, it just means slightly more emphasis on research in 4th year, and research forming all of a particular 5th year subject. And devaluing the hard work people put into achieving honours in previous years (n) It's a change that's been made across most of the health faculties at UQ